Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

156 votes

1. 1. Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

• I liked the aggresive decision
    • Bad idea, take the 3 points

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

when you've got Cam and Tolbert and D-Will has looked good on the ground I don't get that kind of pass play.. I understand trying to go with a rollout or something where maybe Cam can make i happen with his legs if nobody is open but ugh.

Posted · Report post

Good decision, taking FGs screwed us vs the Saints, and while the Jets obviously aren't quite the offense NO is, you have to practice getting TDs, not FGs, if we want to win this week.

Posted · Report post

I didn't like the call in this particular situation, game, etc.  If we were playing the Saints I would feel differently.  I would have taken the three points there.  

Posted · Report post

Good decision, taking FGs screwed us vs the Saints, and while the Jets obviously aren't quite the offense NO is, you have to practice getting TDs, not FGs, if we want to win this week.

Eh, I'd argue you make the best decision to win the game, not practice for the Saints game.

Posted · Report post

playing smart    does-not-equal.gifplaying scared

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work  when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs.  If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

Posted · Report post

He looked across the field and seen Geno Smith of course he's going for it. That was just him trying to build the O's confidence and practice for next week. Can't kick figs against the Saints

Posted · Report post

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs. If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

Uh...no.

Posted · Report post

Given the overall situation, I would have had no problem with either choice.

Posted · Report post

Didn't hate it, but it should have never went to 4th down.  On 2nd and 2, we attempted to pass the ball, nobody was open and Cam was able to throw it away.  Cool.  The very next play we should have run the ball and pick up those two yards.  Even if we didn't get them, we would have been closer on the 4th down at the very least.  We decide to throw it again on third down, didn't get it.  Finally we had the decision to go for it, and it should have been a run play.  Didn't get it, and as someone said Cam was sacked, or smacked is probably a better word for what happened.  Three called passing plays with only two yards?  I hated that sequence.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

he's 10-13 or something like that on 4th downs..  4th and 2, up by 10, I'm mad he didn't go for it earlier in the game when he had the opportunity...

Posted · Report post

I expect us to go for it EVERY 4th and short because  the team is good enough to convert EVERY 4th and short. Just gotta execute better the next time. Good call by RR.

Posted · Report post

Here is the insight on River Boat Ron's thinking.

( "It's about trying to make a statement," Rivera said of his fourth-down risks. "And it's probably also honestly one of the things that I've learned. Sometimes you play by the book and you miss opportunities. It's been an enlightening situation for me. One of the things that I want to try to do is to make sure we are in the best position to win. And the other realization is kicking field goals is obviously not good enough." )

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=876024-panthers---ron-rivera-becoming-more-aggressive#ixzz2ngHqjaXp