Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

156 votes

1. 1. Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

• I liked the aggresive decision
    • Bad idea, take the 3 points

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I would have liked the 3 points in that situation..

Sometimes as a HC you need to consider momentum. The Jets had did a great job covering our receiving options inside the 10 yard line. I would have liked a designed running play on the 4th down call. Cam was unable to find anyone open on the couple passing play calls inside the 10 yard line. Later in the game we just kept running the ball down their throat in the goal line situation and it led to an eventual Tolbert TD.

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure Ron was thinking about how shitty the Jets O is, and how good our defense is. 3 points for our O; a three and out and a punt by the jets in that good a position, or a pick six or sack and strip when out d takes the field in that position.

Didn't work in our favor this time, but didn't even come close to ever costing is the game.

Posted · Report post

Uh...no.

Everything I said was factually correct. The proof is in our record. Ron has made that exact decision in other games and it helped us win. Maybe you had Gano as your fantasy kicker or something

Posted · Report post

I love the aggressiveness, we pay our offensive backfield a poo ton of money and it shows in how effective this team can be on 4th and short. We win some, we lose some but in the end it's better to attempt it when we're in a logical situation.

Posted · Report post

I think the actual spot was the 14 yard line. And the Jets fan sitting behind me said it was a good move by Carolina simply because the Jets had not put together a successful drive of 86 yards all season. If that was the case, then-

* it was a good move by Rivera until...

* it was also the Jets first successful drive of 86 yards or more this season...

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

he's 10-13 or something like that on 4th downs.. 4th and 2, up by 10, I'm mad he didn't go for it earlier in the game when he had the opportunity...

And one of those wasnt even an actual attempt to convert but simply sportsmanship
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

the playcall wasn't that bad... execution wasn't so hot

Posted · Report post

Updated with a shiny new poll!

What are your thoughts on this move? 

I didn't like the decision at the time, and I definintely didn't like it after Cam took the sack.  The defense had been playing well.  Take the 3 points to go up by two touchdowns essentially. 

Bad Riverboat, bad.

Some situations call for the 3 points.

Most football coaches would have taken the 3, but Riverboat believes his offense can get 2 yards or less.

As long as we are winning the game, and are on our side of the field, it is a good gamble to make. Not enough coaches do it IMO.

Posted · Report post

Everything I said was factually correct. The proof is in our record. Ron has made that exact decision in other games and it helped us win. Maybe you had Gano as your fantasy kicker or something

You must have me confused with someone else. I've been a proponent of RR all season . This specific attempt was dumb though.

Everyone saying RR made this decision because he trusted the defense...that makes no sense. If that was the case, take the three points and dare Geno to score two touchdowns.

It's like RR wanted to make up for NOT going for it against New Orleans when he should have. I hope he just gets his poo together before a bad coaching move costs us like it has so many times before.

Posted · Report post

Just watched that series again. What in the actual fug was Shula thinking running THREE straight passing plays after a 2nd and 2??

Hmm Deangleo just gained 8 yards on a rush so there is no way the Jets will expect three passing plays in a row!

Posted · Report post

Didn't like it. But we can't be too critical. We have had much success in similar situations. We will likely get burned and lose a game because of taking a risk. But if we end up winning more games than losing how can anybody fairly criticize riverboat.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted · Report post

You must have me confused with someone else. I've been a proponent of RR all season . This specific attempt was dumb though.

Everyone saying RR made this decision because he trusted the defense...that makes no sense. If that was the case, take the three points and dare Geno to score two touchdowns.

It's like RR wanted to make up for NOT going for it against New Orleans when he should have. I hope he just gets his poo together before a bad coaching move costs us like it has so many times before.

You responded to my posts with very short, vague comments that just generally said you disagreed so I was having to try and guess your point of view. We just disagree, no biggie. To me him going for it was consistent with how he's called the games during our winning streak. We've coughed up WAY more games being too conservative in the second half than being aggressive so I was fine with it. I like the mindset. It's just my vote