Photo
- - - - -

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

carolina panthers riverboat ron know when to holdem

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10 (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

1. Voted I liked the aggresive decision (130 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Bad idea, take the 3 points (26 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 824 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

Said this in another thread...

Liked Rivera's call, hated Shula's play.

Ron goes with his gut now, and since we drove the length of the field prior to that play, he liked his chances.

But for some damn reason, Shula elects to throw in a play that required sufficient pocket time for Cam (which rarely happens). We needed a high percentage play to get us only two yards...and yet, the receivers were going 5-10 yards deep. C'mon now...

And I thought Shula was doing a decent job yesterday...but that playcall was Chud-esqe.

#32 DoubleTrouble34

DoubleTrouble34

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

We were having trouble getting any push on the line with short yardage plays all day long so it made us have to pass. I would have just taken the points and put the pressure on the Jets offense to make a play

#33 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,667 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

You can't look at it after the fact and criticize, you have to look it as Rivera did which was in context.  We had been successful on 10 out of 12 plays to that point and could salt the game away.  It wasn't like they had stopped us that much all day. Sure conventional wisdom is take the points but we have been aggressive all year and it has paid off for us.  Sure after the fact I would say take the points.  Otherwise I would have said go for it, so I have no problems which what he did.

#34 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

I was hoping for the FG. However there are too many people that want him to be riverboat Ron until it fails. The guy sitting behind me at the game wanted us to go for every 4th and short including this one. Sure enough after not getting it they drive down and score and he's telling his buddy how important it was that we just kick the FG. You can't have it both ways people

Right on point. You have to take the good with the bad when you play/coach aggressively. Personally I will take the aggressive mentality win or lose hands down over  the conservative approach we were losing with before. We're not going to make every 4th down we go for. Ron was trying to step on their neck and was betting that if we didn't get it the Jets still would not be able to score enough to beat us. He was right. Our coach has stopped playing like he's scared, our fans need to stop too

#35 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Right on point. You have to take the good with the bad when you play/coach aggressively. Personally I will take the aggressive mentality win or lose hands down over  the conservative approach we were losing with before. We're not going to make every 4th down we go for. Ron was trying to step on their neck and was betting that if we didn't get it the Jets still would not be able to score enough to beat us. He was right. Our coach has stopped playing like he's scared, our fans need to stop too

playing smart    does-not-equal.gifplaying scared

#36 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,059 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

I had no problem with the call not much difference between 10 pt lead and 13 pt lead...  

Playcall was not very good... would've preferred to see a run outside...

#37 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,512 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

when you've got Cam and Tolbert and D-Will has looked good on the ground I don't get that kind of pass play.. I understand trying to go with a rollout or something where maybe Cam can make i happen with his legs if nobody is open but ugh.

#38 SmashNDash

SmashNDash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good decision, taking FGs screwed us vs the Saints, and while the Jets obviously aren't quite the offense NO is, you have to practice getting TDs, not FGs, if we want to win this week.

#39 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

I didn't like the call in this particular situation, game, etc.  If we were playing the Saints I would feel differently.  I would have taken the three points there.  

#40 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

Good decision, taking FGs screwed us vs the Saints, and while the Jets obviously aren't quite the offense NO is, you have to practice getting TDs, not FGs, if we want to win this week.

Eh, I'd argue you make the best decision to win the game, not practice for the Saints game.

#41 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

playing smart    does-not-equal.gifplaying scared

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work  when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs.  If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

#42 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

He looked across the field and seen Geno Smith of course he's going for it. That was just him trying to build the O's confidence and practice for next week. Can't kick figs against the Saints

#43 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,496 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs. If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

Uh...no.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,132 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

Given the overall situation, I would have had no problem with either choice.

#45 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Didn't hate it, but it should have never went to 4th down.  On 2nd and 2, we attempted to pass the ball, nobody was open and Cam was able to throw it away.  Cool.  The very next play we should have run the ball and pick up those two yards.  Even if we didn't get them, we would have been closer on the 4th down at the very least.  We decide to throw it again on third down, didn't get it.  Finally we had the decision to go for it, and it should have been a run play.  Didn't get it, and as someone said Cam was sacked, or smacked is probably a better word for what happened.  Three called passing plays with only two yards?  I hated that sequence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers, riverboat ron, know when to holdem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com