Photo
- - - - -

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

carolina panthers riverboat ron know when to holdem

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10 (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

1. Voted I liked the aggresive decision (130 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Bad idea, take the 3 points (26 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

• ALL-PRO
  • 15,535 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

he's 10-13 or something like that on 4th downs..  4th and 2, up by 10, I'm mad he didn't go for it earlier in the game when he had the opportunity...

#47 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I expect us to go for it EVERY 4th and short because  the team is good enough to convert EVERY 4th and short. Just gotta execute better the next time. Good call by RR.

#48 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Here is the insight on River Boat Ron's thinking.

( "It's about trying to make a statement," Rivera said of his fourth-down risks. "And it's probably also honestly one of the things that I've learned. Sometimes you play by the book and you miss opportunities. It's been an enlightening situation for me. One of the things that I want to try to do is to make sure we are in the best position to win. And the other realization is kicking field goals is obviously not good enough." )

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/...e#ixzz2ngHqjaXp

#49 DecrypticShadow

DecrypticShadow

The Sarcastic A**hole Your Mother Warned You About

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would have liked the 3 points in that situation..

Sometimes as a HC you need to consider momentum. The Jets had did a great job covering our receiving options inside the 10 yard line. I would have liked a designed running play on the 4th down call. Cam was unable to find anyone open on the couple passing play calls inside the 10 yard line. Later in the game we just kept running the ball down their throat in the goal line situation and it led to an eventual Tolbert TD.

#50 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Ron was thinking about how shitty the Jets O is, and how good our defense is. 3 points for our O; a three and out and a punt by the jets in that good a position, or a pick six or sack and strip when out d takes the field in that position.

Didn't work in our favor this time, but didn't even come close to ever costing is the game.

#51 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

Uh...no.

Everything I said was factually correct. The proof is in our record. Ron has made that exact decision in other games and it helped us win. Maybe you had Gano as your fantasy kicker or something

#52 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

The Gambler

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

I love the aggressiveness, we pay our offensive backfield a poo ton of money and it shows in how effective this team can be on 4th and short. We win some, we lose some but in the end it's better to attempt it when we're in a logical situation.

#53 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,938 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think the actual spot was the 14 yard line. And the Jets fan sitting behind me said it was a good move by Carolina simply because the Jets had not put together a successful drive of 86 yards all season. If that was the case, then-

* it was a good move by Rivera until...

* it was also the Jets first successful drive of 86 yards or more this season...

#54 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

he's 10-13 or something like that on 4th downs.. 4th and 2, up by 10, I'm mad he didn't go for it earlier in the game when he had the opportunity...

And one of those wasnt even an actual attempt to convert but simply sportsmanship

#55 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,132 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

the playcall wasn't that bad... execution wasn't so hot

#56 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Updated with a shiny new poll!

What are your thoughts on this move? 

I didn't like the decision at the time, and I definintely didn't like it after Cam took the sack.  The defense had been playing well.  Take the 3 points to go up by two touchdowns essentially. 

Bad Riverboat, bad.

Some situations call for the 3 points.

Most football coaches would have taken the 3, but Riverboat believes his offense can get 2 yards or less.

As long as we are winning the game, and are on our side of the field, it is a good gamble to make. Not enough coaches do it IMO.

#57 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

Everything I said was factually correct. The proof is in our record. Ron has made that exact decision in other games and it helped us win. Maybe you had Gano as your fantasy kicker or something

You must have me confused with someone else. I've been a proponent of RR all season . This specific attempt was dumb though.

Everyone saying RR made this decision because he trusted the defense...that makes no sense. If that was the case, take the three points and dare Geno to score two touchdowns.

It's like RR wanted to make up for NOT going for it against New Orleans when he should have. I hope he just gets his poo together before a bad coaching move costs us like it has so many times before.

#58 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 6,994 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just watched that series again. What in the actual fug was Shula thinking running THREE straight passing plays after a 2nd and 2??

Hmm Deangleo just gained 8 yards on a rush so there is no way the Jets will expect three passing plays in a row!

#59 Semaj

Semaj

The Cam to Kelvin Show

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Didn't like it. But we can't be too critical. We have had much success in similar situations. We will likely get burned and lose a game because of taking a risk. But if we end up winning more games than losing how can anybody fairly criticize riverboat.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#60 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

You must have me confused with someone else. I've been a proponent of RR all season . This specific attempt was dumb though.

Everyone saying RR made this decision because he trusted the defense...that makes no sense. If that was the case, take the three points and dare Geno to score two touchdowns.

It's like RR wanted to make up for NOT going for it against New Orleans when he should have. I hope he just gets his poo together before a bad coaching move costs us like it has so many times before.

You responded to my posts with very short, vague comments that just generally said you disagreed so I was having to try and guess your point of view. We just disagree, no biggie. To me him going for it was consistent with how he's called the games during our winning streak. We've coughed up WAY more games being too conservative in the second half than being aggressive so I was fine with it. I like the mindset. It's just my vote

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers, riverboat ron, know when to holdem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com