Photo
- - - - -

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

carolina panthers riverboat ron know when to holdem

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10 (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

1. Voted I liked the aggresive decision (130 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Bad idea, take the 3 points (26 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

playing smart    does-not-equal.gifplaying scared

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work  when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs.  If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

#42 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

He looked across the field and seen Geno Smith of course he's going for it. That was just him trying to build the O's confidence and practice for next week. Can't kick figs against the Saints

#43 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• LocationWinston-Salem, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

When Rivera was playing the percentages instead of going for it that would be considered smart by your definition, because that's what the textbook says to do. WE KEPT LOSING PLAYING THAT WAY...Right? Our whole season has turned around because he changed his mentality. Can't bitch and moan every time it doesn't work when the overall result and affect on the team has miraculously helped us go from a 1-3 joke to contending for the 2nd seed in the playoffs. If it had worked and we score a touchdown to put them away then you would not be bringing it up. Your splitting hairs. Rivera had trust in his defense to stop them if we didn't get the first down. And he was justified in that faith because the defense stopped them and sealed the game.

Uh...no.

#44 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• LocationSC
SUPPORTER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

Given the overall situation, I would have had no problem with either choice.

#45 Matthias

Matthias

HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Didn't hate it, but it should have never went to 4th down.  On 2nd and 2, we attempted to pass the ball, nobody was open and Cam was able to throw it away.  Cool.  The very next play we should have run the ball and pick up those two yards.  Even if we didn't get them, we would have been closer on the 4th down at the very least.  We decide to throw it again on third down, didn't get it.  Finally we had the decision to go for it, and it should have been a run play.  Didn't get it, and as someone said Cam was sacked, or smacked is probably a better word for what happened.  Three called passing plays with only two yards?  I hated that sequence.

#46 bleys

bleys

Simple and Plain

SUPPORTER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

he's 10-13 or something like that on 4th downs..  4th and 2, up by 10, I'm mad he didn't go for it earlier in the game when he had the opportunity...

#47 BANE

BANE

• PipPipPipPip
  • LocationCollege
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

I expect us to go for it EVERY 4th and short because  the team is good enough to convert EVERY 4th and short. Just gotta execute better the next time. Good call by RR.

#48 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• LocationRock Hill S.C.
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Here is the insight on River Boat Ron's thinking.

( "It's about trying to make a statement," Rivera said of his fourth-down risks. "And it's probably also honestly one of the things that I've learned. Sometimes you play by the book and you miss opportunities. It's been an enlightening situation for me. One of the things that I want to try to do is to make sure we are in the best position to win. And the other realization is kicking field goals is obviously not good enough." )

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/...e#ixzz2ngHqjaXp

#49 DecrypticShadow

DecrypticShadow

The Sarcastic A**hole Your Mother Warned You About

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNew York, NY
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I would have liked the 3 points in that situation..

Sometimes as a HC you need to consider momentum. The Jets had did a great job covering our receiving options inside the 10 yard line. I would have liked a designed running play on the 4th down call. Cam was unable to find anyone open on the couple passing play calls inside the 10 yard line. Later in the game we just kept running the ball down their throat in the goal line situation and it led to an eventual Tolbert TD.

#50 cardiackat88.

cardiackat88.

NFL GURU

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm pretty sure Ron was thinking about how shitty the Jets O is, and how good our defense is. 3 points for our O; a three and out and a punt by the jets in that good a position, or a pick six or sack and strip when out d takes the field in that position.

Didn't work in our favor this time, but didn't even come close to ever costing is the game.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers, riverboat ron, know when to holdem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users