Photo
- - - - -

Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10

carolina panthers riverboat ron know when to holdem

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Poll: Rivera going for it on 4th and 2 from the 15, up 10 (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you like the call going for 4th and 2

1. Voted I liked the aggresive decision (130 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Bad idea, take the 3 points (26 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just watched that series again. What in the actual fug was Shula thinking running THREE straight passing plays after a 2nd and 2??

Hmm Deangleo just gained 8 yards on a rush so there is no way the Jets will expect three passing plays in a row!

Totally agree with all of that. Playcalling on that set of downs was ridiculous. Dwill was beasting, should've trusted him, Tolbert or Cam to get it before it got to 4th down

#62 tiger7_88

tiger7_88

old skool SWAG

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Didn't have a single problem with the decision.

What I did have a problem with was the defense shitting the bed in the Jets drive immediately after.

#63 Semaj

Semaj

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

That play IMO is the real test of Riverboat. If you are going to gamble then you it is a certain fact you will eventually fail......and this was the first example of it legitimately blowing up on him.

The real test will be Riverboat continuing to be Riverboat going forward and not letting that impact him into leaning toward #OldRon the next time

That is also my concern. I have been pondering the same thought. We will see soon enough. I am hoping that coach doesn't go back to playing scared.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#64 mc52beast

mc52beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

Didn't really like the call... you're playing a team starting a rookie qb and an offense that is definitely not much of a threat. If we were playing the Aints, then I would say go for it, not when you're playing a team you know your defense can stop.

#65 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,293 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

If you are going to go for it on 4th then make the play call worthy of the gamble. A pass or run has to happen at that point.
We won despite ourselves on that play.
But odds favor you when you roll the dice on 4th.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#66 CardiacCats

CardiacCats

• HUDDLER
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

yah fine with the decision just didn't like the playcalling.  on third and 2 if you think you're in a situation where you'd consider going for it on fourth, you should run the ball.  pretty much give you two plays to run for 2 yards.  threw three straight passes

#67 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,848 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

You responded to my posts with very short, vague comments that just generally said you disagreed so I was having to try and guess your point of view. We just disagree, no biggie. To me him going for it was consistent with how he's called the games during our winning streak. We've coughed up WAY more games being too conservative in the second half than being aggressive so I was fine with it. I like the mindset. It's just my vote

Yea I get the reasoning, just a bad spot to go for it that time to me.

At least 86% of the huddle agrees with you.

#68 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,169 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Considering our opponent I would have taken the 3 points.

Same logic that was used during the bills game

#69 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,848 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 17 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Same logic that was used during the bills game

Nope, two totally different situations.  We were only up by 3 against the Bills.  Big difference between going up 6 with a field goal and going up 13.  Plus there were less than two minutes to go in the Bills game.

#70 TN05

TN05

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • LocationConover, North Carolina

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I like the call. Everyone on here is always condemning playing not to lose, and Rivera was making that call to win the game. If that call works there is no way, barring a total defensive collapse, that the Jets come back from a 17-point deficit. It didn't work but it's not a bad call to make when you are up ten over an anemic offense.

#71 TrueBlackandBlue

TrueBlackandBlue

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Updated with a shiny new poll!

What are your thoughts on this move? 

I didn't like the decision at the time, and I definintely didn't like it after Cam took the sack.  The defense had been playing well.  Take the 3 points to go up by two touchdowns essentially. 

Bad Riverboat, bad.

If 13 points is essentially 14 points we wouldn't have lost to Buffalo.

This is the philosophy of our team now. We stick to it. I did not like three pass plays in a row on 2nd and 2, but

RIVERBOAT SPITS ON FIELD GOALS! RIVERBOAT HUNGRY! RIVERBOAT WANT TOUCHDOWN!

giphy.gif

#72 sanjay_rajput

sanjay_rajput

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Locationstarkville, ms

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Updated with a shiny new poll!

What are your thoughts on this move? 

I didn't like the decision at the time, and I definintely didn't like it after Cam took the sack.  The defense had been playing well.  Take the 3 points to go up by two touchdowns essentially. 

Bad Riverboat, bad.

I believe he should have went for it earlier when we kicked the 2nd FG.......but I'm still glad he is going for it and hopefully he goes for the kill earlier vs the Saints.

#73 IGSaint

IGSaint

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Totally agree with all of that. Playcalling on that set of downs was ridiculous. Dwill was beasting, should've trusted him, Tolbert or Cam to get it before it got to 4th down

Shula had some wtf play calling throughtout the game. Like calling a run play on 2nd and 30 after the two holding penalties. Like seriously? We are going to try and run on 2nd and 30 and not try to get back half the yards? We might as well have just punted it to them on 2nd down instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers, riverboat ron, know when to holdem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.