Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DirtyMagic97

2013-2014 College Basketball Thread

288 posts in this topic

The only knock I have on UVA is they've played a favorable schedule in conference play. Duke/Cuse/Pitt/UNC once each? Meh. They also lost their 3 most difficult non conference games. Regardless, they deserve to be mentioned among 2 seed contenders in the tournament. 

With so many upsets, Carolina should/could move up close to the Top 10 and Duke will be #4 I assume. 

Has a team ever been ranked so high with 6 losses? Not shittalking just curious.

interesting perspective on the NCAA from Mark Cuban:

"I think what will end up happening -- and this is my opinion, not that of the league -- is if the colleges don't change from the one-and-done, we'll go after the one," Cuban said. "The NCAA rules are so hypocritical, there's absolutely no reason for a kid to go [to college], because he's not going to class [and] he's actually not even able to take advantage of all the fun because the first semester he starts playing basketball. So if the goal is just to graduate to the NBA or be an NBA player, go to the D-League."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10538276/mark-cuban-says-nba-d-league-better-option-ncaa

Marshall has to be the hottest coaching commodity right now...I know Coach Buzz up in Wisconsin has been getting a lot of love...and of course there's the habitual candidate in Shaka Smart. It's weird to not see Brad Stevens name pop up this time of year.

Marshall is an amazing coach, honestly when K hangs it up I wouldn't mind him in Durham at all.

Has a team ever been ranked so high with 6 losses? Not shittalking just curious.

Honestly no clue, but I would expect so due to preseason rankings meaning so much for the polls. I agree it's weird to see, but it's been such a weird year in college basketball. Hell, I think 7 of the top 15 teams lost yesterday? And a team like Syracuse has escaped at least 3 losses off the top of my head in conference play. The only "dominant" team has been Wichita State this year, with Florida showing flashes but being one of the more underwhelming #1's in recent memory IMO. 

Honestly no clue, but I would expect so due to preseason rankings meaning so much for the polls. I agree it's weird to see, but it's been such a weird year in college basketball. Hell, I think 7 of the top 15 teams lost yesterday? And a team like Syracuse has escaped at least 3 losses off the top of my head in conference play. The only "dominant" team has been Wichita State this year, with Florida showing flashes but being one of the more underwhelming #1's in recent memory IMO. 

I'm not really sure how winning 21 consecutive games is underwhelming. Obviously, during a streak like that you aren't going to win every game by 20 points. Every team has close games. The difference is, we don't lose those close games right now. I mean, our only two losses are to Wisconsin on the road (without 3 players, including our best player) and a buzzer beater from Napier at UConn with Wilbekin missing the end due to a high ankle sprain.

Are you talking about the Heels or Duke?  I can't figure out how Kansas is in the talk for a #1 seed with 6 losses.  

Are you talking about the Heels or Duke?  I can't figure out how Kansas is in the talk for a #1 seed with 6 losses.  

People love them some Kansas. I'll agree that when they are playing well, they are a great team. They are just very inconsistent.

I'm not really sure how winning 21 consecutive games is underwhelming. Obviously, during a streak like that you aren't going to win every game by 20 points. Every team has close games. The difference is, we don't lose those close games right now. I mean, our only two losses are to Wisconsin on the road (without 3 players, including our best player) and a buzzer beater from Napier at UConn with Wilbekin missing the end due to a high ankle sprain.

During that win streak, only 1 win over a ranked team (An 8 loss UK who has obvious problems) and in a SEC expected to get 2 bids at most outside of UF? 

Stats wise (which admittedly don't take into accounts style of play etc)...

186th in the nation in PPG, 114th in Rebounds, 136th in Assists, 86th in FG%

7th in Points allowed (the only great stat), 259th in blocks, 114th in steals. 

Florida has talent and is probably the best team in college basketball at the moment. I didn't say they shouldn't be #1. I'm just saying they're underwhelming compared to previous years when there were actual great teams. I don't think any team in the sport scares anybody this year. 

During that win streak, only 1 win over a ranked team (An 8 loss UK who has obvious problems) and in a SEC expected to get 2 bids at most outside of UF? 

Stats wise (which admittedly don't take into accounts style of play etc)...

186th in the nation in PPG, 114th in Rebounds, 136th in Assists, 86th in FG%

7th in Points allowed (the only great stat), 259th in blocks, 114th in steals. 

Florida has talent and is probably the best team in college basketball at the moment. I didn't say they shouldn't be #1. I'm just saying they're underwhelming compared to previous years when there were actual great teams. I don't think any team in the sport scares anybody this year. 

During that streak Florida beat Kansas (likely 1 seed), Memphis (who beat Louisville twice), and Kentucky(who kinda sucks).

And yea, the SEC may only get 3 bids. It's possible to get UF, UK, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mizzou in, but I doubt it. Tennessee did beat the ACC regular season champs...by 35. So, that's a good resume builder.

Either/or.