Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pat Kirwin says we don't need to change that much to win this week

94 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Surprise! That is exactly what Coach Rivera has been saying. Funny that, huh?

I would add that our secondary and LB'rs in coverage must stay with their assignments. Do not watch Brees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luke, Michael ---------------------> I'm looking at you!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

NFL on XM is definitely NOT worth the price for most of us, but it depends on how desperate you are. The shows were excruciating to listen to, thats all I can say.

David Glen is still one of the few that I can listen to and never think to myself "this guy is a total idiot". Rome gets some stuff wrong but I like the pace of the show and the amount of info I get there, plus I dont listen often so it stays fresh. I cant stand how he refers to "clones", I will never get that. Me, you, everyone. . we're all capable of coming up with our own little intelligent solutions to everything. Im not a clone of poo. This rambling has been brought to you by "Razey is fuuuuuugged up time".

edit: oh yeah I remember why I was posting. . Kirwan and Miller were one of the few shows that was ok.

Posted · Report post

At times in certain games we do abandon the run. I was surprised that we actually established the run and was running in full power formations and D.Will was running hard. From 20 out, we really can pound it in. Idk what it is with us and the 3-4 down there, but that last TD we scored after the block punt that's how a redzone score supposed to happen. All runs pounding it in. No throws, no read option... none of that

Posted · Report post

We didn't score TD's in the Red Zone.
We didn't pressure Brees.
We didn't tackle well.
We let receivers run free in the zone.

If someone's got a scheme that can overcome that against Sean Payton's Saints, go ahead and schedule a modeling session for your HoF Bust.

Posted · Report post

Getting pressure on Brees will change a lot of things for their offense.  Carolina plays a lot of soft zone coverage and if you give Brees enough time in the pocket, he will shred the defense.  

On offense, they need to score TDs in the red zone.  Because when the Saints get to the red zone, they score TDs.  

Posted · Report post

Getting pressure on Brees will change a lot of things for their offense. Carolina plays a lot of soft zone coverage and if you give Brees enough time in the pocket, he will shred the defense.

On offense, they need to score TDs in the red zone. Because when the Saints get to the red zone, they score TDs.

Actually the saints are only 18th on the league in red zone TD%

Posted · Report post

Actually the saints are only 18th on the league in red zone TD%

That may be true, but in the last game against New Orleans, the Saints scored TDs on 4 out of 5 trips to the red zone and kicked a 19 yard FG on the other (meaning they were practically on the goal line).  Carolina meanwhile only got into the red zone twice.  They kicked a FG early in the game, then scored a TD at the end of the game on 4th down.  So not only did New Orleans beat them in Red Zone %, they did a great job preventing Carolina from even getting there.  

Posted · Report post

wrong on both counts.

It's the same damn 3 bullet points every time

1. run ball control

2. pressure qb guy

3. ecksecushon

So there's one of two things going on here. Pat Kirwan isn't very perceptive himself, or he knows his listeners can't comprehend anything more complicated than basic football strategy buzzwords. Given his experience in the NFL, I would guess the latter is true, but either way you can find better analysis on the internet for free.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

1. run ball control

2. pressure qb guy

3. ecksecushon

So there's one of two things going on here. Pat Kirwan isn't very perceptive himself, or he knows his listeners can't comprehend anything more complicated than basic football strategy buzzwords. Given his experience in the NFL, I would guess the latter is true, but either way you can find better analysis on the internet for free.

He actually can talk both basic strategies and complex schemes depending on the audience and their expertise.  He does a great job interviewing coaches and players and obviously gets more technical as the situation requires. However one of his gifts is to be able to make something complicated understandable to the veryday fan.  His book is quite excellent and does a great job explaining basics and then going into more complicated concepts as the reader's interest is piqued or his knowledge expands.

As for better analysis, he is generally considered one of the more knowledgeable guys behind the mike. He was talking about the games this weekend and who he thought would win not engaging in in depth analysis of how the panthers can win.  Give the guy a break.  

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

Sounds like just about the same shallow analysis you find on here every tuesday

thanks for letting me know NFL on SiriusXM is not worth the subscription price p55

Sirius is about the best place to listen to coach interview, players interviews and discussions about football typically by people who played the game and in Kirwin's case was a general manager for the Jets.  If you miss him you miss a gem.

Funny that you would criticize him for giving a shallow analysis by making an even shallower analysis given you haven't even listened to him enough to have an informed opinion.

5 people like this

Posted · Report post

Well I'd say your review of my review of his review of the game this Sunday is pretty shallow and uninformed

Posted · Report post

1. run ball control

2. pressure qb guy

3. ecksecushon

wrong again..............your on a roll !!