Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gabeking

Nice article on Gettleman

CRA    12,169

I still think it will be a few years before we can begin to start judging DG.

For the most part, this is heavily a Hurney squad we are winning with and Riverboat seems to be the biggest change. Yeah, DT play has been big but the wins would have been there the prior years if Roverboat showed up.

Jackofalltrades    9,325

Great read- he was the guy I wanted when we started looking at candidates and I'm glad he's done such a good job in his short time here.

The rest of the story obviously has yet to be written, but the preface and the first chapter certainly hold a lot of promise.

• Pie 5

Delhommey    2,796

Certainly like what I've seen so far. 

8 picks in the draft this year and maybe a little more cap wiggle room. We'll see what happens.

• Pie 1

I still think it will be a few years before we can begin to start judging DG.

For the most part, this is heavily a Hurney squad we are winning with and Riverboat seems to be the biggest change. Yeah, DT play has been big but the wins would have been there the prior years if Roverboat showed up.

The bones of this team are Hurney's, but in terms of being an actual GM, Gettleman has had to clean up a lot of Hurney's mistakes, i.e. obscene contracts that left us in cap hell. He's done a great job of that to ensure not only that we get to keep our core guys, but that they don't hamstring us for the future. There's still more work to be done in that area but so far I'm confident we've got the guy for the job.

He knocked his first draft out of the park and brought in many quality FAs that have been big contributors to the team this season--Mike Mitchell, Quentin Mikell, Teddy G, Colin Cole, Chase Blackburn, etc.

Gettleman is a damn boss.

• Pie 7

Mr. Scot    34,531

lol and meanwhile, in New York....

Meanwhile in Cleveland, the team that turned him down twice... :lol:

If this team makes it anywhere cloae to the Super Bowl in his first season at the helm, you'd have to say he's GM of the year.

• Pie 5

panthers55    5,146

Meanwhile in Cleveland, the team that turned him down twice... :lol:

If this team makes it anywhere cloae to the Super Bowl in his first season at the helm, you'd have to say he's GM of the year.

When he took this job I said he had to be extremely happy. Not because of landing the job but because he had a number of pieces already in place. He had a big cap number to solve but he had more talent on this team than most teams who change GMs and are in the rebuilding process.  Most of us felt that the Panthers had underperformed the last 2 years going 13-19 and that things would turn around.  Many here thought it would take a new coach, though......

• Pie 1

Mr. Scot    34,531

Excerpt...

"He was a hit right from the start," Accorsi remembers. "You could walk in there at any time and ask him about the fifth defensive back for the Denver Broncos. Boom, he didn't have to look it up on the computer. He knew the guy. He knew him cold. He would talk about him. He had tremendous recall on every player in the league."

Mara concurs.

"I told Jerry Richardson at the time I never met anybody that knows as much about the personnel in the National Football League as Dave," he says. "You could question him about any team, any position on that team and he'll give you chapter and verse on the individual player right off the top of his head. There aren't too many guys like that."

Good stuff.

• Pie 4

CRA    12,169

He's done a great job of that to ensure not only that we get to keep our core guys, but that they don't hamstring us for the future.

Gettleman is a damn boss.

He hasn't really gotten into any of that.... IMO. He had a good draft (Hurney-like though) and did well in FA (unHurney-like)

The contract issues still exist. He didn't really get into any of that. Yeah, he gave Beason away for free to his buddies which big picture was good but that was all he touched really.

Gettlemen will prove himself as he sets to tackle Cam/Luke/Hardy/the fact no WRs outside an old 89 have deals going forward, and deals with the Hurney baggage of Williams, Stewart, Godfrey, Johnson, etc.