Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Operation Barbarossa is upon us...<edit> Operation complete!

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Barbarossa didn't fail because of the elements. That was a factor, but they could have taken every russian city if they'd wanted to. Hitler was just obsessed with symbolic victories and let Moscow slip through his fingers. If he'd just taken Moscow and her factories when he had the chance the US would have never been able to invade.

End the war quickly and the weather never becomes a factor. Hell, just dig in and not attack fuging Kursk and they could have still fought off the piddling Americans.

A better historical comparison would be Napoleon in Russia. His entire military strategy was based around quickly maneuvering his artillery. He was unable to do so in the russian snow/thawing soil.

that's ok it still works with the analogy.

the saints go for pointless deep passes and 4th-down conversions to pad drew brees's stats instead of winning the game because of their silly hubris and then the elements will come in and kick their ass

if that doesnt make sense i don't care

Posted

If using military analogies, I would prefer the Marianas Turkey Shoot, with the Saints playing the role of the Japanese Navy.  That way, its about 50-0 at halftime and I can relax and enjoy.  :)

Posted

This thread went from a retarded drunk post to a boring ass history debate.

Posted

I thought Barbarossa was on a holy mission during the crusades not WW2.

Source - Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings

Edit: nvm used Google.

It was named after Fredrick Barbarossa, a German emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.  He participated in one of the Crusades, and was killed in battle I think. 

Posted

We are invading Russia? What...

When your talking about Barbarossa your talking about germanys code name for the invasion of the soviet union.

Posted

The Nazis were a few miles outside of Moscow under operation Barbarossa, but Moscow was extremely well defended, and the German army was exhausted and slowed by winter weather. To make matters worse for the Germans, the Russians brought their reserve forces from the east, which had been used to deter Japan from attacking, and used these forces to launch a massive counter attack and drive back the Germans.

The Germans were shelling the city and the only reason they didn't march on was because Hitler wanted to take Stalingrad first because it was named after Stalin. Taking Moscow was a matter of marching. Yes they brought their ski troops in from the east because Japan and Russia had an unspoken pact they wouldn't break until the final days of the war, but apart from the mental imagery it wasn't that big a deal. However, yes, russians on skis doing strafing runs against freezing german soldiers is fun to think about.

Posted

You guys are talking about Jack Sparrow's nemesis in "Pirates of the Carribean", right?

Just kidding! By all means, continue your nerd-off.

Posted

Damn why did I just read the thread title as "operation barbecue"? #fattyatheart

1 person likes this

Posted

1456724_372685529544199_243583521_n_zpse

I spit, I laughed so hard....

Posted

Operation Barbarossa, huh? I like the comparison. With a little luck, the Saints will be eating their horses and getting blind/drunk on rocket fuel by the end of the third quarter.

Posted

Hitler didn't take Stalingrade because Jude Law and that chick from Titanic were there busting caps in the Germans.

2 people like this

Posted

Send me in coach I'm freezing in this blizzard.