Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Operation Barbarossa is upon us...<edit> Operation complete!

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Toundra

Toundra

100% French meat

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

I don't like wining a game by loosing it something like..

Saints 5800, Panthers 3

#17 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

Barbarossa didn't fail because of the elements. That was a factor, but they could have taken every russian city if they'd wanted to. Hitler was just obsessed with symbolic victories and let Moscow slip through his fingers. If he'd just taken Moscow and her factories when he had the chance the US would have never been able to invade.

End the war quickly and the weather never becomes a factor. Hell, just dig in and not attack fuging Kursk and they could have still fought off the piddling Americans.

A better historical comparison would be Napoleon in Russia. His entire military strategy was based around quickly maneuvering his artillery. He was unable to do so in the russian snow/thawing soil.

#18 toldozer

toldozer

finally someone fatter than Alice

• HUDDLER
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

The same could be said for past few games as well as the next few games. Most important game is the upcoming one. Plain and simple

Does anyone else read plain and simple now and think it just sounds straight retarded??

Simple and plain my friend. Simple and plain

#19 cgarsmoker

cgarsmoker

Kenny Fugging Powers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationViera, Florida

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

Barbarossa didn't fail because of the elements. That was a factor, but they could have taken every russian city if they'd wanted to. Hitler was just obsessed with symbolic victories and let Moscow slip through his fingers. If he'd just taken Moscow and her factories when he had the chance the US would have never been able to invade.

End the war quickly and the weather never becomes a factor. Hell, just dig in and not attack fuging Kursk and they could have still fought off the piddling Americans.

A better historical comparison would be Napoleon in Russia. His entire military strategy was based around quickly maneuvering his artillery. He was unable to do so in the russian snow/thawing soil.

I'm a bit of a history buff and I'm impressed with your post. The only thing that isn't correct is Hitler wanted Stalingrad, not Moscow

#20 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:43 AM

If you use the term "rise up" then you've obviously never been to the crap-hole GA dome. I was with you until I read that part.

#21 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:49 AM

They will nazi us coming!

History teacher joke.

#22 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:53 AM

The Nazis were a few miles outside of Moscow under operation Barbarossa, but Moscow was extremely well defended, and the German army was exhausted and slowed by winter weather. To make matters worse for the Germans, the Russians brought their reserve forces from the east, which had been used to deter Japan from attacking, and used these forces to launch a massive counter attack and drive back the Germans.

Following the failure of operation Barbarossa, the Germans launched operation Case Blue. It involved attacking the rich oilfields of Baku, as well as an advance in the direction of Stalingrad to cover the attack on Baku. The Germans needed oil, and taking Baku was the answer. The Germans didn't think much of Stalingrad or the Russians defending it until the sh!t hit the fan.

#23 catfang

catfang

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just win baby.

#24 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,942 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

I thought Barbarossa was on a holy mission during the crusades not WW2.

Source - Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings

Edit: nvm used Google.

#25 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,701 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

that's ok it still works with the analogy.

the saints go for pointless deep passes and 4th-down conversions to pad drew brees's stats instead of winning the game because of their silly hubris and then the elements will come in and kick their ass

if that doesnt make sense i don't care

#26 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

If using military analogies, I would prefer the Marianas Turkey Shoot, with the Saints playing the role of the Japanese Navy.  That way, its about 50-0 at halftime and I can relax and enjoy.  :)

#27 Shepard Fairey

Shepard Fairey

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:52 AM

This thread went from a retarded drunk post to a boring ass history debate.

#28 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,499 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I thought Barbarossa was on a holy mission during the crusades not WW2.

Source - Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings

Edit: nvm used Google.

It was named after Fredrick Barbarossa, a German emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.  He participated in one of the Crusades, and was killed in battle I think. 

#29 Spaceballs83

Spaceballs83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

We are invading Russia? What...

When your talking about Barbarossa your talking about germanys code name for the invasion of the soviet union.

#30 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

The Nazis were a few miles outside of Moscow under operation Barbarossa, but Moscow was extremely well defended, and the German army was exhausted and slowed by winter weather. To make matters worse for the Germans, the Russians brought their reserve forces from the east, which had been used to deter Japan from attacking, and used these forces to launch a massive counter attack and drive back the Germans.

The Germans were shelling the city and the only reason they didn't march on was because Hitler wanted to take Stalingrad first because it was named after Stalin. Taking Moscow was a matter of marching. Yes they brought their ski troops in from the east because Japan and Russia had an unspoken pact they wouldn't break until the final days of the war, but apart from the mental imagery it wasn't that big a deal. However, yes, russians on skis doing strafing runs against freezing german soldiers is fun to think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com