Photo
- - - - -

Since the other thread is about teh gays, here let's discuss Phil Robertson's statements about segregation-era race relations

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,067 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:05 AM

Sorry to start another one of these, but serious the other thread is getting way too convoluted to actually have this discussion (which honestly is due its own thread.) Basically Phil Robertson, in the same GQ interview where he compared gays to pig-fuckers and said that God will judge them with the terrorists, also said something very very underrated regarding his time growing up in segregated Louisiana:

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Being a bigoted asshole is one thing and is sort of excusable because of the nature of religious belief and how related behavior is foisted upon the individual via the process of socialization and is nearly inescapable through individual agency, but this is literal ignorance in the hands of a very vocal, opinionated ignoramus. Of course the usual suspects are flocking to the defense, included noted annoying tool and blogger matt walsh who whines incessantly about how every time something happens to offend the delicate sensibilities of the liberals and their temporal, morals-du-jour ethical menu, everyone has to get all up in arms and bootstomp the freedom of the person who said it in the first place.

Naturally everyone rallies around this reasoning, bemoaning the fact that freedom has been stripped away by the Communists
(no, really, look what this one lady I know said)

Freedom...every man is entitled to his own opinion
Freedom Within Boundaries...Bully, defame and harass all people with opinions opposed to a specified agenda
Communism...harass and imprison all who oppose a specified agenda

Anyway I've tried to be the voice of reason by making statements like the following:

"I work as a bartender for a major national hotel corporation. If I am of the opinion that interracial marriage is ungodly and an abomination to God, that's my prerogative, and the company would be wrong to fire me simply for believing it, because I am free to believe whatever I want to believe. However, if I then, when I have people sitting at my bar, start telling them that I think God is going to torch their asses with the terrorists and the pig-f*ckers on judgement day, then the company has every right to exercise their freedom to fire me, because my freedom has suddenly impinged upon their ability to represent their image as they desire. Freedom of speech does not mean the freedom to say whatever you want without consequences."

...all to no avail, of course. Instead you have conversations like the following:

ScreenShot2013-12-20at20504AM_zpsfac4636ScreenShot2013-12-20at20541AM_zps55d8f1dScreenShot2013-12-20at20559AM_zps5ed0cc7ScreenShot2013-12-20at20629AM_zps657c0f5ScreenShot2013-12-20at20653AM_zpsbc77bdcScreenShot2013-12-20at20713AM_zpsa0d528e

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...aaaanyway, so the point of all that is to show that massive numbers of people would literally rather put themselves through the mental contortion of insisting that phil robertson DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING WRONG DAMMIT and actually make statements like "the blacks actually DID have it good back then" than admit that maybe phil robertson is an ignorant guy making incredibly douchey comments in a public setting. why is this so difficult? why do you think you have to surrender your entire belief system to call robertson out for being a racist asshole?

frankly i think it's incredibly enlightening to watch from a sociological perspective. it's like watching a social experiment play out before your eyes. people are so - innately, i think you could argue - psychologically attached to the nodes of their ideological expression that any attack on them is treated as an affront to the entire system, and thus phil robertson is defended with a vigor worthy of a response to an atheist's attack on christianity as a whole, as though the one cannot be separated from the other, as though phil robertson is in some way necessary to defend for the greater good of all christendom. it's absolutely fascinating to watch. much of it is psychological, and much of it is social, and a HUGE portion of it is political: smart people pulling strings from high places know the extent to which people can be shuffled into particular ideological chutes and funneled accordingly by making equivalencies like "if phil robertson can't speak his mind, then freedom is in jeopardy and so is america"

...or, as Mike Huckabee mentioned,

Phil Robertson of DD isn't the only one censored by the media thought police. When we put up an event page to show support for our pal Phil , FB blocked access to the page! What is happening to free speech for Christians? Have you seen the stuff FB allows when people attack me because of my faith? I allow the attacks on me on my own page. But when we try to show support for a Christian brother FB pulls the entire page! It's time to demand that 'tolerance' includes tolerance for Christians too!

can someone find me a kleenex :(

As a parting note, I would like to highlight the extent to which events like these serve as platforms for evangelicals to reenact the crucifixion of christ and flay themselves alive in front of a tear-drowned audience. the persecution complex is at an unbelievably high level, to such a high extent that you'd think phil robertson was snatched from his louisiana duck nest or whatever he lives in and dragged to the gallows and hung by gay nazi muslims from a rope woven from threads salvaged from the charred remains of the weekly U.N.-sponsored bible-burning. Otherwise normal people have failed to see why calling gay people pig-fuckers who will burn in hell with terrorists is considered an act of persecution and harassment, but as soon as they're told not to say things like "pig-fuckers will burn in hell with terrorists" they start screaming about how their rights are being violated and they're being persecuted for not being allowed to go persecute.

w
t
f

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,067 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:07 AM

preemptive note: can we please get that chucklefug RG3and10 or whatever banned before he shits up this nice thread with ten pages of derailing drivel that's not quite bad enough to be bannable but just bad enough to impede solid dialogical exchange? preesh

#3 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,019 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

PhillyB,

" dis is merica and your disrespecting the flag! ...and dur bible. " -Philly's conservative-hate-apologist FB friend we all have lol..

Seriously in all this...using the veil of the Bible to tie in homophobia(not the topic), politics and segergation is what is perverse. Supporters are just overjoyed he spoke aloud what a large amount of them think personally and then begin to defend his freedom of speech and refuse to ackowledge the repurcussions of such speech.

To go from commenting on segergation to him basically saying African Americans hate life now with all this freedom and the burden of government assistance is really being overlooked.

"they had it so good with their own restrooms and the back of the bus was where its was at!! Only a few got lynched by white hate groups then..but they knew that God wuz judging them..now they all complain bc of Obama and have their own TV channels!! " - actual recording behind the scenes of episode 33 of Duck Dynasty-or not...

It pains me when I see friends on my FB( whos political and religious beliefs I was unaware of) who I think are similarminded, go full retard with a bible quote defense of Robertson...or any other religious based public hate mongering.

#4 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

Can you also add in the bits on the show where he implies women should be in the kitchen? Sure he wants his granddaughters to hunt, as long as they get their asses to the kitchen to cook it.

I honestly don't understand why people like this show. He's constantly putting down and making fun of anyone who isn't like him.

#5 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,396 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:56 AM

I honestly don't understand why people like this show. He's constantly putting down and making fun of anyone who isn't like him.

Apparently a lot of people value their freedom of speech, share Phil's values and watch DD.

Here are a few of them attending CPAC and discussing how race and religion play a role in TP politics:

The young man is Scott Terry, he is feeling disenfranchised as a white southern male(from NC). Scott can't understand why slave owners aren't appreciated more for giving their slaves food and shelter. He wants to know why our society can't return to the days of segregation?

The lecturer can't believe his ears, but tries to move forward with his premise about why Christians, conservatives and Tea Partiers are losing the propaganda war and being labeled racists. If he ever takes the time to view his audience's behavior in this clip, he'll have his answer.

The young lady trying to ask a question is not a TPer, and the audience does not want her to ask a question. Funny how the audience is all worked up about a liberal attempting to exercise that precious "freedom of speech". Why wasn't the audience that worked up when Scott Terry advocated a return to segregationist policies in this country? Hmm, I wonder?

I understand Phil's racist bigoted behavior since he grew up in the Deep South during the 1950's. Unfortunately this clip shows there are plenty like him who grew up within the last few decades and will be around for years to come. What is the excuse for their ignorant behavior?

#6 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

First of all the interview was set-up to be a failure from the start.....come on GQ magazine really assholes. Secondly, the context of his words are being distorted. Anyone that has a political science degree or criminal justice degree will tell you that was not hate speech. Not one time did he said he hated nor say he was for violence against any race or sexual orientation. Thirdly it was his opinion and observation not a concrete fact.
What is the matter with him answering the way he did, and what is the matter with A&E making a business decision.
Americans are so sensitive. Is there such thing as African Europeans? God America has to be so politically correct. Plus the GLAAD organization is bullying sponsors of the Roberson's.....now they after Dick's and they won't cut them.....

#7 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

Why don't you ask your gay friends if there's nothing the matter with being compared to animal fugers and swindlers?

#8 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:06 AM

And you expect a good discussion when starting like this?

where he compared gays to pig-fuckers

Enjoy having CWG high five you at least every 15 minutes since that seems to be all you are after in this thread.

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes it's not fair and balanced apparently

#10 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,138 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

I mean we need to balance the fact that he thinks that blacks in the segregated south were much better off then today with the fact that he thinks gay people are like pig fugers, it sounds a lot less stupid then

#11 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,067 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:17 AM

And you expect a good discussion when starting like this?

where he compared gays to pig-fuckers

Enjoy having CWG high five you at least every 15 minutes since that seems to be all you are after in this thread.

i seldom expect good discussions in the tinderbox. however, given that robertson said being gay is exactly the same thing as bestiality, it's a germane point to raise.

anyway we all know you agree with him, so let's not pretend you're just earnestly concerned for the integrity of forthcoming dialogical exchange and aren't just passive-aggressively sniping

#12 rg3and10

rg3and10

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Person A: "I don't like Obama."

Phillyb: "Herpa derpa derp this racist hates blacks."

#13 ecu88

ecu88

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Why don't you ask your gay friends if there's nothing the matter with being compared to animal fugers and swindlers?

I do not know if your comment is aimed at me but this is ridiculous. I have gay friends that know I am not for gay marriage but they know I respect them and know that I do not impose my views on them because that is their choice and it should be their choice, not what a person tells me that this how it should be. You misinterpreted Phil's words. All he said was that all sins are equal. Evidently your IQ and emotional IQ cannot grasp the idea. Phil did an absolute which he qouted the Bible and did not try to impose his views onto people but just answered a writer's question. Smh some of you are to sensitive. Plus A&E has the right to fire him but with a third party telling the company to fire him is just wrong.

#14 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,521 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Not in before....

"... his statements were taken out of context..." and

"... damn liberals all ganging up on this guy..."

WTF, people, the guy said some incredibly ignorant, uninformed, prejudiced, racist, homophobic, fire & brimstone, self-righteous, I'm-right-and-everyone-else-is-wrong statements. What is so difficult to understand here?

#15 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,966 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

what we have here is a failure to communicate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com