Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaFell Playing For His Next Contract

110 posts in this topic

Posted

3 years, 5 million with a poo ton of incentives.

1 person likes this

Posted

The number LaFell has in his head is likely in the range of a #2 receiver.

There is only so much money to go around and a lot of talent that needs to be resigned or replaced in the next few years.

Does DG think he can get a better return on his investment for that type of money in the draft or free agency? 

Unless LaFell takes it to the next level in the coming weeks to justify #2 money he may be playing for someone else next year.

Posted

He is a damn good blocker. I wish he were more reliable.

Posted

This "drops" bullshat is hilariously bad. Steve has dropped more important catches this year than LaFell and everybody is off his case. LaFell is a beast of a blocking WR and helps the running game tremendously. Not only does he do that, but he's good for 600-700 yards a season. That's a number 2 WR all day. I don't know what expectations you people have for a #2 WR but you should probably scale them back.

So many fans here spoiled by what we had with Moose and Smith. It's never going to be like that again. Trust in that. Two of the Top 75 WR of all-time on the field at the same time is a rare commodity.

2 people like this

Posted

Better improve and learn what "consistency" is.

I'd keep him but only for damn cheap.

Posted

LaFell isn't a guy to turn the tide of a game. When the team isn't playing well, he will not step up and make a play to change momentum. Instead, he snowballs the bad play.

Also I believe he plays better with roster competition. He dropped nothing in 2011 while trying to overtake Legedu for the starting spot. He was mostly OK last year with Murphy flirting with the #2 spot. This year he was basically penciled as the starter before training camp and his rookie hands have returned.

Because of those factors, he should get lowballed on the guaranteed money, but have incentives to keep him productive. He is a good player and I like him, but he doesn't need to get complacent.

3 people like this

Posted

I can only think of 4 drops this year by LaFell, could be wrong though. At Tampa, at San Fran, at Zona and at New Orleans.

Last year Dallas and KC come to mind. I know we've had a ton of LaFell threads already but it's a good article that points out his numbers and how they stack up against other 2's and comments from Rivera and Smitty, so I thought I'd share.

The New Orleans one was Critical.  It would have been a first down and we could have continued to move the ball down the field and possibly score.  Instead we gave it back to Brees and company and they scored on us.   Instead of 14-13 or 14-9 it was 21-6.  HUGE Drop. Massive momentum swing.

I think he has done well and I am in full support of keeping him but he has to have those catches we need them most.

Posted

An incentive laden contract is the way to go with LaFell imo.  

Posted

He's ight but we can do way better he's not a #1 guy

Sent from my SGH-T399 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 person likes this

Posted

Things working against Lafell---

Greg Hardy, Mike Mitchell, Ted Ginn, and a few others also want to be paid.

This year's draft is LOADED at WR.

He should stay, but at a decent price.  I see his agent wanting #2 money. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Lafell if you want big money, ball out till the Superbowl

1. Means catching balls on 3rd downs

2. Means getting separation from dbs

3. Means getting yards after the catch

Posted

He might be inconsistent, but the thing with LaFell is that Steve Smith likes his game a lot, and we know Smith doesn't compliment many, and him and Cam are VERY close. It is not secret that Cam is a loner (although he has gotten much better this year). From the beginning he has always been close with LaFell and they have very good chemistry. Losing LaFell could hurt much more then people may believe. Just something to think about.