Photo
- - - - -

Why is our stadium designed to dump rain water on fans?

carolina panthers

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 SpeedOFLight

SpeedOFLight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts
  • LocationGreensboro NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have to say that I was proud of our fanbase. I was not at the game but everyone looked like that stayed and was having fun out there in the rain. I could do nothing but laugh when they showed that one dude on tv with the water just pouring down on him. Quick question, when are the upgrades to the stadium happen? Not sure if this is really considered an issue being that I only remember it being like that 2 times in our history.

#17 Upper Deck West End Zone

Upper Deck West End Zone

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I especially love that the water deposits directly onto the people who are paying the most money.

But the crowd got more energetic and boisterous once the heavy stuff started coming down. Superb day.

#18 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,650 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Speaking as an engineer. This could be a case of not considering heavy flow rate through the drain. It may run onto the perfect spot under normal flow rates. Maybe the stadium upgrades will move them.

pad3_whisper-ultra-heavy-flow-_-overnigh

But seriously thanks for the perspective.

#19 dugbug

dugbug

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

That Jacksonville game they said was a microburst and no stadium was designed for it but this is the second time we have seen this.

I think they need to consider a design change.

#20 ed bell

ed bell

Ruthless

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

I think Arrowhead had the same issue once....And it may be that it's simply way too much water to instantly drain off.

#21 GRWatcher

GRWatcher

visiting from Kepler-186f

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • LocationStatesville

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

The stadium has been flooded like that 3 times. There was a game in the 90's where the water in the lower bowl backed up 3 rows. It was over the seats in the 1st row. After that they made changes so the water would drain faster to the field. It wasn't so bad yesterday considering the monsoon rain.

The field itself actually withstood the heavy rain very well especially for a grass field. If it had been Pittsburgh, they would've been playing in mud.

#22 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

Well, the water from the upper deck has to go somewhere - right? 

The person in my section under the waterfall was there by his own choice, there was plenty of space for him to move to the left but he decided to be an attention ***** and stay put. 

#23 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,540 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

lol I have to self censor...

*olden *hower ticket holders.

#24 Dick the Butcher

Dick the Butcher

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,372 posts
  • LocationCornelius, NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Lol.  This happened at ONE spot in the entire 70000+ seat stadium.  Sooooooo inconsiderate of that scrooge of an owner!

#25 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,164 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Lol.  This happened at ONE spot in the entire 70000+ seat stadium.  Sooooooo inconsiderate of that scrooge of an owner!

Point taken, but to be exact it happens in quite a few spots around the stadium and the person caught under it is always there by choice trying to get 15 mins of fame. 

#26 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,261 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

There isnt a gutter or drain pipe tgat could possibly handle that much water. It is what it is.

#27 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

• HUDDLER
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Most buildings in the world probably have SOME sort of an issue. The stadium simply wasn't built perfectly. Life goes on.

I do hope we get a new stadium one day though. Sure I loved BOA and spent seven years in MY seat, lol, but it's sorely outdated now. I'd like to see something in an irregular shape and not the classic oval shape.

#28 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

there aren't too many drainage systems that can handle a southern rain storm. there's just too much water coming down too fast.

#29 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

I was thinking about this myself. You would like to see your fans not have rain dumped on their heads but hell it's an outdoor stadium built in the mid 90s. The bottom line is you have 13 acres of stadium with a couple inches of water in a short period of time. You can't drain away that much water that quickly without it going somewhere. It's no different than driving down the street and seeing a gutter and catch basin overflowing. Well there is one difference, the water was landing on the fans.

#30 Jangler

Jangler

a head full of candy corn

• HUDDLER
  • 47,540 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

Still haven't cleaned the leaves from the gutters.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: carolina panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com