121 replies to this topic

#1 GWBNostrils

GWBNostrils

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Texas says no.

Erick and Marlise Munoz, both paramedics in Tarrant County, Texas, had talked a lot about end-of-life decisions, including the importance of do-not-resuscitate orders. So when doctors put her on life support after suffering a suspected pulmonary embolism last month, her husband says, he knew her wishes.

Marlise, 33, had lost a brother years before and told her husband she never wanted to be kept alive by machines, he says.

But Marlise is pregnant, and Texas state law puts the rights of a fetus over the wishes of its mother. The baby Marlise is carrying is now closer to 18 weeks, but Munoz says doctors have no idea what effects the oxygen deprivation Marlise has suffered will have if the baby is delivered.

http://abcnews.go.co...ort&form=APIPA1

http://www.foxnews.c...deal-pure-hell/

#2 King

King

A Cell of Awareness

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

The flawed results of a system that gives men no say in abortion.

#3 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

Government to the rescue.... Again. Counting the last century, they're on quite a roll

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,825 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

That's a tough one, but I think the father should have complete and total say on this.

If the doctors agree that the mother will not live without life support, then the father, as her spouse should be able to decide alone what to do.

Now if it was me... I would keep her alive and let the baby be born... but that's just me.

#5 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

So if this woman was shot and killed, could the defendent be charged with the babys murder?

#6 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

That's a tough one, but I think the father should have complete and total say on this.

If the doctors agree that the mother will not live without life support, then the father, as her spouse should be able to decide alone what to do.

Now if it was me... I would keep her alive and let the baby be born... but that's just me.

I might as well, but it's hard to say for sure.  What a crappy situation. :(

but in Texas, the baby has rights - and those rights come before the rights of the family and mother in this case, unless a court was to rule in favor of the mother.

and frankly I don't think that has anything to do with men having a say in abortion, RE: King's comment, as I don't think the pro-life movement has anything to do with men's rights.

#7 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

So if this woman was shot and killed, could the defendent be charged with the babys murder?

I think so, because of Texas' equivalent of the Unborn Victims Act or whatever it's called (I imagine they ahve one but I may be wrong. I think most states do)

#8 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

I think so, because of Texas' equivalent of the Unborn Victims Act or whatever it's called (I imagine they ahve one but I may be wrong. I think most states do)

then it might be slightly hypocritical to, in essence, kill the baby in this situation?  Just sayin...

#9 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,825 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

then it might be slightly hypocritical to, in essence, kill the baby in this situation?  Just sayin...

I'm not arguing your point but it should be the father's decision, not the state.

#10 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

Nope, not really.  The text of the federal act has to do with the death of a fetus in commission of a crime.  Pulling life support is not the commission of the crime, the same way that an abortion wouldn't allow for prosecution under the unborn victims act.  Shooting the wife is still a crime, because even though she is in a vegetative state, she is still alive.  It's up to *apparently the state - should be family w/doctor consultation imo* when to pull life support.

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

The flawed results of a system that gives men no say in abortion.

Perhaps if abortion was treated as a real issue involving real people, and not a dogmatic religious-political litmus test, we could talk about it like adults.

Anyways it has nothing to do with the husband, the wife made her wishes known. It's Big Government, Republican Style, that has taken over "personal freedoms".

#12 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Nope, not really.  The text of the federal act has to do with the death of a fetus in commission of a crime.  Pulling life support is not the commission of the crime, the same way that an abortion wouldn't allow for prosecution under the unborn victims act.  Shooting the wife is still a crime, because even though she is in a vegetative state, she is still alive.  It's up to *apparently the state - should be family w/doctor consultation imo* when to pull life support.

pulling the plug generally is for someone who has no hope or is brain dead or what not.  The mother is, but not the child?

Just playin devils advocate

#13 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,821 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

This is why when you get married get a will/trust durable POA etc so you DO have a say.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#14 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,483 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

pulling the plug generally is for someone who has no hope or is brain dead or what not.  The mother is, but not the child?

Just playin devils advocate

Child suffered the same thing the mother did - they have no idea how it'll turn out - it might be fine, it might not, if you wait long enough.  Same is true of the mother, though.  Further, the fetus, imo, doesn't have the same protections as the mother.  But that's just how I view things.

#15 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

I would say there is no problem in waiting a few months, taking the child, letting the mother pass.  If the child passes too, then no problem, if it lives, then you have avoided a tragedy.  Husband is not liable for the bills, but let the state take it over if they want to prolong the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.