Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Husband wants to pull the plug on pregnant wife

122 posts in this topic

Posted

This is why when you get married get a will/trust durable POA etc so you DO have a say.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

pulling the plug generally is for someone who has no hope or is brain dead or what not.  The mother is, but not the child?

Just playin devils advocate

Child suffered the same thing the mother did - they have no idea how it'll turn out - it might be fine, it might not, if you wait long enough.  Same is true of the mother, though.  Further, the fetus, imo, doesn't have the same protections as the mother.  But that's just how I view things.

Posted

I would say there is no problem in waiting a few months, taking the child, letting the mother pass.  If the child passes too, then no problem, if it lives, then you have avoided a tragedy.  Husband is not liable for the bills, but let the state take it over if they want to prolong the process.

Posted

The tinderbox is a sad sad place, where the lives of babes and invalids alike are debated as one would debate the proper seasoning for an evening meal.

Posted

I would say there is no problem in waiting a few months, taking the child, letting the mother pass.  If the child passes too, then no problem, if it lives, then you have avoided a tragedy.  Husband is not liable for the bills, but let the state take it over if they want to prolong the process.

Stirs is literally advocating for a nanny state if it fits his worldview

literally

Posted

Sadly, this is probably going to end up being a learning tool for many mothers/fathers. The one thing I didn't see in either article was whether or not the mother's wishes were in writing. There will probably be a new form in many OBGYN offices now for new mothers that allows them to determine how they would want to proceed should something like this occur. Look for this to end up in the Supreme Court.

Personally, I believe the father should have a choice in what happens to her. I can't even imagine what he is going through. How do you sit there and wait for 6 weeks while the state turns your wife into an incubator when it goes against everything you know that she wanted.

With that law, Texas could force a rape victim who ends up on life support as the result of her attack to carry her rapists baby to term. That's insane and definitely something the government has no right in deciding for anyone.

Posted

Well non white male conservative christian governments at least

Posted

If the only reason the government is involved is because of the fetus, it's sad... on several fronts. The husband's wishes, shared by the wife are not being considered. The wife's wishes, as interpreted and attempted to be carried out by the husband, are not being considered either.

And for any of you who are genuinely concerned about your family having to go through something like this, do as was stated earlier- living will, power of attorney, etc. so your rights cannot be taken away by the state or whomever.

You have no idea how many lives are being turned upside down right now because someone else decided their laws and political agenda are more important than the lives of all the people involved in this.

Posted

This is why when you get married get a will/trust durable POA etc so you DO have a say.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Good advice but it sounds like in this case in Texas it wouldn't matter since the baby's rights overrule the mother's. 

Posted

This is so sad.  I do not see how anybody can support the cruel actions of the state here.

Posted

Waiting on all my personal freedom lovers/ big government haters to come up and totally denounce this blatant state overreach

Posted

is it an overreach cwg?