7 replies to this topic

#1 mrford

mrford

Chupacabra

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

she is 77 and has never been to a UNC game at the dean dome, and has only attended 2 in her life, both here in charlotte. she is the biggest heals fan i know so i snagged her tickets to the game for christmas and am driving her up there.

i have not been recently, and by recently i mean more than a decade, so not since i could drive. i understand that there are designated parking lots, and there are shuttles that take you to the arena? my grandmother isnt exactly disabled but hills and stairs arnt her best friend, so if anyone has any tips as to the best place to park. we will be driving from charlotte and sitting in section 133. thanks in advance for any advice. im pretty excited and she has called me 4 times today to talk about it so i know she is.

#2 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

she is 77 and has never been to a UNC game at the dean dome, and has only attended 2 in her life, both here in charlotte. she is the biggest heals fan i know so i snagged her tickets to the game for christmas and am driving her up there.

i have not been recently, and by recently i mean more than a decade, so not since i could drive. i understand that there are designated parking lots, and there are shuttles that take you to the arena? my grandmother isnt exactly disabled but hills and stairs arnt her best friend, so if anyone has any tips as to the best place to park. we will be driving from charlotte and sitting in section 133. thanks in advance for any advice. im pretty excited and she has called me 4 times today to talk about it so i know she is.

Not sure what the pricing is, but there is a lot literally right in front of the Dean Dome... I usually just park at the hospital and walk over because the parking is cheaper but with the position that you're in... I would check this out if you don't want to have to pay the outrageous amount that would be required from the lot right in front of the Dome.

Chapel Hill Transit (CHT) will provide Tar Heel Express shuttle service on Tuesday, December 31, 2013, for the North Carolina men's basketball game against UNC Wilmington, scheduled for 5:00 p.m. at the Dean E. Smith Center. 

Tar Heel Express shuttles will begin at 3:30 p.m. from the park and rides located at Friday Center, Southern Village, University Mall (on the South Estes Drive side of Dillard's) and Jones Ferry. Shuttles will also be available from the Carolina Coffee Shop located at 138 East Franklin Street (no parking provided). The shuttles will provide continuous and fully accessible service, running every 10 to 15 minutes between the park and rides and the Dean E. Smith Center. The shuttles will operate for approximately forty-five (45) minutes following the game.

That should work for you.

By the way, It's Heels not Heals.

#3 mrford

mrford

Chupacabra

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

thanks for the information, and the pointing out my constant battle between autocorrect and my lack of proofreading. those shuttles you mentioned are the shuttles i read about taking, thanks for the clarification. when i take her to bobcats games we ride the light rail downtown so waiting for a shuttle wouldn't be anything new. which of those lots is the best and/or easiest to exit after a game? i was just curious if there was anything else avaliable.

you mentioned something right at the dome but it being expensive? how expensive are we talking here?

#4 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,448 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:08 AM

thanks for the information, and the pointing out my constant battle between autocorrect and my lack of proofreading. those shuttles you mentioned are the shuttles i read about taking, thanks for the clarification. when i take her to bobcats games we ride the light rail downtown so waiting for a shuttle wouldn't be anything new. which of those lots is the best and/or easiest to exit after a game? i was just curious if there was anything else avaliable.

you mentioned something right at the dome but it being expensive? how expensive are we talking here?

The closest lot is probably the Manning lot which is right beside the Basketball Museum (which I do recommend you take your grandmother to).

And the second closest I believe is the Bowles lot... you walk up some stairs and the little hill then you're at the Dome. 

I'm not sure of the pricing of either of those lots, it might be $15 or $20 (not overly expensive but I'm a college kid so I need the exercise anyway even though I usually park in the Ritz Carlton lot right near the Epicentre when I go to Bobcats games lol).

The downside to those lots is waiting to get out but unless you park over on Franklin or at the Hospital, you will be waiting to get out for a little bit from wherever you parked.

As for the easiest lots to get out of... in my opinion they are the hospital lots but they are pretty good distance from the arena... the problem is unless you leave early (which I don't recommend, but it's up to you); you will hit traffic most likely on the interstate near the exit for the Dome anyway so you will most likely wait a little bit no matter where you park (it's just how long you are going to wait that is up in the air).

I don't know if you have a disability sticker but their is disability parking for $10 (I think that's the price) right in front of the Dome. You will sit in traffic for a little bit once the game ends but you will at least be in your car and you won't have to wait for a bus.

Now I have parked over on Franklin Street by this restaurant called R&R Grill, it's near the ever famous Top Of The Hill restaurant and while it's easy to get out of the Hill from Franklin Street, the walk is further than the Hospital.

Your best bet is probably the Manning lot (the lot near the museum) or the bus system (unless you have a disability tag).

I'll also give you my shameless plug for Time Out (if you haven't been). Adam Richmond (from Man vs. Food) called their chicken cheddar biscuit the best sandwich in America... they also have fried okra,fries and gravy, broccoli casserole, honey biscuits, and mac and cheese all at a pretty low cost. If you got the time, hit it up. It's located in University Square on West Franklin right near the Granville Towers. It looks a little run-down but it's just one of those good ol' boy restaurants.

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,605 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

UNCW is going to dominate.

#6 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

UNCW is going to dominate.

Hitting the crack pipe early today eh?

#7 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,605 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hitting the crack pipe early today eh?

That was yesterday.  Meth today.

#8 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

That was yesterday.  Meth today.

Adderall is the best new years eve drug though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.