444 replies to this topic

#31 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

the offense has sucked all year if you think about it (statistically) they just have made the plays when they have to . we win with defense... which is fine by me

#32 ajax4132

ajax4132

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

People are going to be pining about this the week of the superbowl. We are winning games, our defense is holding teams and our offense is being clutch, nothing is going to change. 

Cam will put more weight on his pivot foot during the offseason but that takes reps and time that we don't have, meanwhile we are winning games. I am not concerned in the least, our O rises to the occasion and our defense makes the stand

#33 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,063 posts

It has become an area of concern and play selling does deserve a load of the blame. We've played away from our strengths and it's killed us. Shula's late game she'll he's been retreating into has almost been costly and the Riverboat needs to step in and tell him how we do things now.

It's predictable, stubborn play calling. There are other areas that need to be addressed personnel wise obviously.

#34 xPariahx

xPariahx

DEAD

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLake Elsinore

Our O is just bad. You can't tell me that pro coaches don't see it. The bye can always be a blessing or a curse. They have to figure something out and I think it starts with the OLine. Cam looks horrible when he rushes his mechanics.

Sent from my HTC One X using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#35 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Nine in the box.

Atlanta had 8 and 7 in the box on many plays that didn't work yesterday.

#36 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

If Cam was throwing screens that we're getting blown up at the line of scrimmage and slants for incompletions and pics, everyone would be screaming for Shula to call run plays and deep balls.

With the right side if our O line being a turnstile and Ginn and Lafell catching like they are wearing boxing gloves covered with cocoa butter and Cam throwing high....I think anyone calling the game would have difficulty.
Thank God Cam has running ability and throws lasers when it matters most.

#37 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,778 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Without smith we go from the 24th ranked offense to the 30th ranked offense

I would not fire shula before getting some receiving weapons in here as soon as possible. But shula's far from a great offensive mind at this point.

#38 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,512 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:35 AM

Just heard a stat on WFNZ. No team has ever won the Super Bowl with an offense ranked below 24th in the league. We are 26th.

That was the 2002 Bucs. When they won the quote was probably something like "No team has ever won the SB with an offense ranked below 18th" or some other kind of garbage.

Those pull quotes are useless. If our offense gets back on track on the 12th, the regular season is moot.

#39 Silent Majority

Silent Majority

Fuggin' Panther Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, freaking, New Jersey.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

Swear to God, if someone said talk about the Panthers, but leave Cam out of it...half of you bastards would be mute.

#40 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:37 AM

It started with New England and has gone on since.

The mad professor decided to try to limit the ground game an have Cam win it with his arm.

The defenses around the league have followed that format ever since and are getting real close to busting us each week.

Our passing game is horrible.  Take away the run game and we are neutered.  Expect whomever we play in two weeks to do the same, stack the box with eight guys (while our fanbase yells that the OLine is not blocking) and make us beat them through the air.  Two weeks in a row, that has almost worked.  If we don't figure out our passing game, it will work in the playoffs for our opponents.

#41 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

The offense scoring 14 points against the 27th ranked defense in the league who was also missing key defensive starters is an awfully bad omen.

Deangelo running for 3.3 yards per carry against the leagues 31st ranked rushing defense is pretty bad.

For a ground based methodical offense to lose the time of possession battle by nearly 10 minutes is scary.

If not for Cam's legs and ability to make clutch plays this offense would be absolutely horrendous.

Top issues with the offense in no particular order:

- Lafell's inconsistency
- Byron Bell (self explanatory)
- Lack of sharp, quick passing plays and hot routes.

Zod, with all due respect you guys need to finally admit that we were right. When I say "WE" I'm talking about the ones here that were "bitching" during the preseason about how bad the offense was. You guys said it was just preseason and that it would carry over. It has.

This offense lacks play makers. We have none. Only two WRs caught a pass yesterday. Lafell our #2 WR had 0 catches on a day where Steve Smith didn't play.

This isn't some new development. You were right about Shula, but the lack of talent doesn't help. I can't remember what side of the fence you were on in the preseason, but these other members here need to eat their crow.

The writing has been on the wall and has been masked by a great defense. We better not draft one defensive player next year. If we are going to be in the playoffs year after year we have to build the other side of the ball.

O yea for the 10900000000000th time. We should have drafted a WR.

#42 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Shula isn't really doing much to open things up for us with his playcalling, but Cam hasn't been very accurate either. 

The two go hand in hand.

Cam needs to get into a rhythm. He hasn't had the opportunity to make a few short to mid passes in each drive before he airs out a long one. Any QB needs those to build up a head of steam and get going.

Airing out a 30 yarder after watching your receivers drop 15 yarders, your RB get stuff at the line all while running for your life isn't going to cut it.

Give the man some quick sure thing throws. Remember when Jake would throw that out to Smitty the moment the ball was snapped. He must have did that 5 times a game. I'd like to see Ginn get a few of those.

#43 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,328 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

I still believe the offensive formation at the line of scrimmage is a dead giveaway to the play about to be run. For some reason when the Panthers approach the line of scrimmage I can determine a pass or run play and be right more than 90% of the time- it's not hard.

Second, without Steve Smith on the field, the Atlanta D just packed the box and made their mind up to force Cam to throw the ball. And they were right because Cam was air-mailing everything yesterday. The best pass Cam threw yesterday was the down and in fastball to Olsen in the end zone.

Make no mistake about this playoff team, the D began carrying the load when the offense stopped putting up 30 a game (and don't be misled here, because the Panthers only scored 30+ once in the second half of the season).

If no one believes the Panthers need offensive weapons....

#44 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,474 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

We were scoring 30+ points a game mid season this year.  So, either you think that the playcalling has miraculously changed since then...unlikely.

Or, that the players are just not executing right now.....more likely.

Or, defenses adjusted to our playcalls, and our playcalls didn't adjust to defenses?

#45 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

• HUDDLER
  • 5,201 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

The two go hand in hand.

Cam needs to get into a rhythm. He hasn't had the opportunity to make a few short to mid passes in each drive before he airs out a long one. Any QB needs those to build up a head of steam and get going.

Airing out a 30 yarder after watching your receivers are drop 15 yarders, your RB get stuff at the line all while running for your life isn't going to cut it.

Give the man some quick sure thing throws. Remember when Jake would throw that out to Smitty the moment the ball was snapped. He must have did that 5 times a game. I'd like to see Ginn get a few of those.

jake got the ball to smith lightning quick...faster and more accurate than newton has done it the past.

newton still hasn't developed a "touch" with his short quick throws.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.