• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,327 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

He disappears too often for me. He had 10 sacks in 3 games and 5 in 13 games. I'd like to see more consistency.

That's pretty much every defensive end in the league.  I remember not to long ago people here talking about how great Jared Allen was when he had more than 15 sacks.  He had 7 of those against one team (green bay I think). 

Defensive ends are just like most others, sometimes they have great games, sometimes they have average or even below average games. 

#47 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:19 PM

We can't afford that. There's no way. But Gettleman isn't Marty so we'll se if he can get him on a better deal.

#48 SevyDamus

SevyDamus

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm sure CJ will take a cut to help sign Hardy. Hardy deserves to get paid just by going off Sacks alone. I like the fact he plays the run very well & his ability to switch inside & play DT. You just don't find that much in DE. Don't break the bank, but he deserves a nice contract & is only 25 so who knows how much better he can get.

#49 mc52beast

mc52beast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Enjoy the rest of the time he spends with us this season, he will be gone next year. No way Gettleman breaks the bank to keep him...

#50 CPcavedweller

CPcavedweller

• HUDDLER
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

That's pretty much every defensive end in the league. I remember not to long ago people here talking about how great Jared Allen was when he had more than 15 sacks. He had 7 of those against one team (green bay I think).

Defensive ends are just like most others, sometimes they have great games, sometimes they have average or even below average games.

Hardy is a force, there is no debating that. There is also no debating his love of playing football(unlike Peppers). I don't believe he will become money hungry or as pompous as Julius was but some people can't handle becoming "the" guy. Julius Peppers thought he was above the team and left but I fully expect Greg Hardy understands his role within the organization and will hopefully continue to be the way he always has been.

#51 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Greg Hardy is one of my favorite panthers. Im just worried that with luke,cam, and star that in the future a big contract with him might bite us.

#52 cptx

cptx

Junkhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:00 PM

Matt Hardy is one of my favorite panthers. Im just worried that with luke,cam, and star that in the future a big contract with him might bite us.

?

Matt-Hardy-matt-hardy-2518005-920-480.jp

#53 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

?

Matt-Hardy-matt-hardy-2518005-920-480.jp

Im worried that if we give Luke and Cam big contracts then it will hurt our overall depth. I dont follow the salary cap like others do so hope im wrong.

#54 DecrypticShadow

DecrypticShadow

The Sarcastic A**hole Your Mother Warned You About

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Matt Hardy is one of my favorite panthers. Im just worried that with luke,cam, and star that in the future a big contract with him might bite us.

Well, I for one wouldn't mind losing Matt Hardy... The team has done pretty good without him so far and I think we can get by without him next year as well.. 

#55 Raskle

Raskle

Zookeeper

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

I dominated breakfast this morning.

No you didn't.. you used a spoon!

Kraken is one of the few I would actually break the bank to keep. I'm hoping we don't really have to, but he's had 15 sacks, with a ton of pressure and drops backs behind the line - an all-around DE with stellar numbers. There will be a list of suitors, with deep pockets this offseason. Wish we would have wrapped him up long-term at the start of this year, but hindsight and all that.

Btw.. who the hell is Matt Hardy? I mean, besides that wrestling guy above. Is he related to Tommy Jones?

#56 cavic7585

cavic7585

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

No you didn't.. you used a spoon!

Kraken is one of the few I would actually break the bank to keep. I'm hoping we don't really have to, but he's had 15 sacks, with a ton of pressure and drops backs behind the line - an all-around DE with stellar numbers. There will be a list of suitors, with deep pockets this offseason. Wish we would have wrapped him up long-term at the start of this year, but hindsight and all that.

Btw.. who the hell is Matt Hardy? I mean, besides that wrestling guy above. Is he related to Tommy Jones?

I didnt realize I had done that. I was a big wrestling fan when I was a kid.

#57 countryboi

countryboi

• HUDDLER
  • 2,412 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC born and raised

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

you always need guy on your defense thats not screwed on too tight. i love it

#58 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:36 PM

Give him the deal he wants and backload the sucker for when those huge RB contracts go off the books.  

We've got to look at what kind of team we are going to be and put the money into those positions.  Right now we're a defensive team with a dual threat QB and conservative attack.  That's what we are. 

Therefore you put the big contracts into your front seven and QB.  

You go cheap or through the draft on the back seven, o-line, RB.  Get/keep a goto WR and TE and get lucky on a 2nd and 3rd WR in the draft or in FA.  That's the makeup of this team.  If we want to start playing big offensive football we let the Kracken go and use that money on a top end WR and RT.  Pick your poison.  You can't pay everybody the big money.

Resign Hardy and Mitchell.  

Draft WR & O-line (especially tackle).

Let Captain, LaFell, and Mikell go if they won't take cheap deals.

Extend Cam.

Fill in the holes with cheap FA contracts like we did this year.

Next offseason we can free up a good bit of cap and the year after that even more.  After next year we could actually cut Charles Johnson and save over 10 million.  D-lo cut saves money.  The year after that we could cut J-stew and it not kill us.  By 2016 we should actually be paying the guys Gettlemen wants and not Hurney's monster contracts.  

Push that Cam and Kracken money til then and also sign up Luke long term.  That's my plan.

So, let's sign Hardy!!

#59 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Hardy is a guy you break the bank for. Period. He's what EVERY GM dreams of. A dominating, YOUNG, defensive end. Pay him.

#60 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,557 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Hardy is a guy you break the bank for. Period. He's what EVERY GM dreams of. A dominating, YOUNG, defensive end. Pay him.

Sure glad you're not the GM. More Hurney contracts!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com