#1 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts
  • LocationSafety Harbor, FL

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

I read some Tinderbox threads but rarely post and have never started one, but I felt the urge to on this because it hit a nerve.

http://www.sfgate.co...ter-5104455.php

That is a link discussing her apology and is also accompanied by a video of the segment.

Anyway, considering the Megyn Kelly/Santa thing had 73 replies I was surprised that this did not have a thread.  In Kelly's case she was making idiotic comments about the race of a fictional character.  In Melissa Harris-Perry's case she and her panel were using race to mock living, breathing human beings.  I know they were attempting to be funny regarding a politician they do not like but it was pretty disgusting.

I am not someone easily offended either.  In fact, singling out children, specifically adopted children, is one of the very few lines where crossing them pisses me off.  This is probably because I have worked with kids for fifteen years and had many adopted children, as well as foster children come through my care.  These kids want, need, and crave someone who will love them.  There are so many of them and so few that are willing to take them in.  The race of the child and/or adopted family should not matter one bit, regardless of what people think of the chlid's adopted grandfather.

It is hard enough for parents to decide to adopt.  It must be much more difficult when it comes to adopting a child of a different race, regardless of the race of the parent/child.  Ignorant comments would be expected from Duck Dynasty guy and those of his ilk but now these parents, as well as those considering such adoptions have to see the "liberal" network mocking such an adoption?  Imagine if it had been a FOX show where such segment has occurred.

Then at the end of it she teases the next segment by saying they would look back at things and say "Hey, was that racist?"  I do not know if she was trying to be ironic, but wow.

I am glad that Harris-Perry apologized but the photo should have never been used and she sure as hell should have shut down the panel when the conversation went down that path.

#2 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

If the right had gone this to a democrat, the media would be in a total shitstorm right now....as would the TB.

Was a totally classless thing to do and say...they should be fired.

#3 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,783 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

Too bad a Bush wasn't running for the Republicans last time, he could have taken South Carolina again easily with this information.

#4 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,129 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:48 AM

She definitely crossed the line and I'm wondering why no one said anything at the that moment.

But here comes MH to the rescue... "should be fired..."  Just like Megyn Kelly was right?

If everyone who said something stupid on the job was fired the unemployment rate in this country would be 75% and MadHatter would spend his entire life unemployed.

#5 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,783 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

The odd thing is that she says she comes from the same background...do people really think she harbors some kind of racist tendencies or is she just not very good at making jokes?

#6 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

this is fuged up.  I don't think it's racist but it's terribly insensitive.  do I think she should lose her job?  perhaps, because what she said was significantly worse than what bashir said that cost him his job.  just because she went through it, doesn't mean she can make fun of other people that are also going through it.

#7 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

The odd thing is that she says she comes from the same background...do people really think she harbors some kind of racist tendencies or is she just not very good at making jokes?

I cannot say.  One of the best things about no longer having cable is that I am never tempted to watch one of those networks, so I do not have enough experience with her to make a judgement.  I do however believe that there have been people in the past that have not gotten the "not very good at making jokes" benefit of the doubt.

Again, the thing that struck a nerve to me was the fact that they are making fun of an adopted child and the family that brought him in simply because they do not like the political affiliation of the grandfather.  It was sad and pathetic.

Do I think she should be fired?  No, not on that alone.  Her apology seemed sincere and it is very rare that I think someone should be fired over one comment.  That being said, there are plenty of people who have been labeled racists and/or lost their job for equally insensitive comments and I find this much worse than what Megyn Kelly said since these are real people and Santa Claus is not.

#8 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,117 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

Wasn't this the same woman who said our kids are not ours or something and it takes a village so now you have a family who are doing their small part to be a village and she says this?
I'd say she has multiple biases she isn't even aware of. Just odd and a dumb thing to say.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#9 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Wasn't this the same woman who said our kids are not ours or something and it takes a village so now you have a family who are doing their small part to be a village and she says this?
I'd say she has multiple biases she isn't even aware of. Just odd and a dumb thing to say.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Her main bias is against people with a different political view than her, it seems.  She's taken the political/ideological views of the Romneys and allowed it to color her view of their entire family in a way that allows her to not see what's wrong with saying what she did until after the fact.

To her credit, her apology seems sincere, and I don't think she was trying to be as insensitive as she was.  But eh, that's part of the problem with politics today is that political figures have lost quite a bit of their humanity.

#10 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

I cannot say.  One of the best things about no longer having cable is that I am never tempted to watch one of those networks, so I do not have enough experience with her to make a judgement.  I do however believe that there have been people in the past that have not gotten the "not very good at making jokes" benefit of the doubt.

Again, the thing that struck a nerve to me was the fact that they are making fun of an adopted child and the family that brought him in simply because they do not like the political affiliation of the grandfather.  It was sad and pathetic.

Do I think she should be fired?  No, not on that alone.  Her apology seemed sincere and it is very rare that I think someone should be fired over one comment.  That being said, there are plenty of people who have been labeled racists and/or lost their job for equally insensitive comments and I find this much worse than what Megyn Kelly said since these are real people and Santa Claus is not.

Couldn't you, in effect, say the same thing about those who were (and some still are) spewing the "birther" garbage? I mean, how insulting and insensitive is it to suggest the President of the United States wasn't born in this country and is not even a citizen? Not sure anyone has ever been held accountable for that entire right wing smear campaign.

#11 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

Couldn't you, in effect, say the same thing about those who were (and some still are) spewing the "birther" garbage? I mean, how insulting and insensitive is it to suggest the President of the United States wasn't born in this country and is not even a citizen? Not sure anyone has ever been held accountable for that entire right wing smear campaign.

If Ted Cruz gains any momentum, heaven forbid,expect the same thing from the left

#12 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

Of course you could.  Those people are the epitome of ignorant.  Not sure how that is a defense to this or how their sad existence contradicts my post though.

Also, I believe Lou Dobbs was let go for birther comments though, yes?  Not sure what other reporters were pushing this or what their repercussions were.

#13 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Of course you could.  Those people are the epitome of ignorant.  Not sure how that is a defense to this or how their sad existence contradicts my post though.

Also, I believe Lou Dobbs was let go for birther comments though, yes?  Not sure what other reporters were pushing this or what their repercussions were.

Not a defense or an excuse as much as a correlation. But as a comparison, who is held to a higher standard? Does the reporter take a beating for saying such a thing and a politician simply gets skewered by the opposing party? 

If Lou Dobbs was canned over "birther" comments (honestly don't know if he was), what were, or should have been, the repercussions for those elected officials sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution?

Not disagreeing with your thought at all here, simply pointing out the wide variety of standards and the seemingly haphazard way in which they are applied.

#14 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Not a defense or an excuse as much as a correlation. But as a comparison, who is held to a higher standard? Does the reporter take a beating for saying such a thing and a politician simply gets skewered by the opposing party? 

If Lou Dobbs was canned over "birther" comments (honestly don't know if he was), what were, or should have been, the repercussions for those elected officials sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution?

Not disagreeing with your thought at all here, simply pointing out the wide variety of standards and the seemingly haphazard way in which they are applied.

I think that the difference between the reporter and the politician is who they are held accountable by.  The reporter has to answer to their company and to sponsors, both of which are concerned about money.  Any boycott costs them cash and therefore make the reporter less valuable to them.

In the politician's case they answer to the people.  Unfortunately in the environment that we live in making absurd comments can actually attract donors and supporters if you are campaigning in the right district.  They hate the other side so much that anybody who seems to hate them as well is someone that they want to support.  To be honest, while many (probably most) of the birthers were racists, all were not.  Some just hated the policies of Obama and the Democrats so much that they will latch on to anything that might damage him/them and are blinded to how ridiculous they sound.

#15 Awesomeness!!

Awesomeness!!

BangBang

• HUDDLER
  • 5,399 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Stupid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com