Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...ss&emc=rss&_r=0

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — In the summer of 2011, 19 undergraduates at the University of North Carolina signed up for a lecture course called AFAM 280: Blacks in North Carolina. The professor was Julius Nyang’oro, an internationally respected scholar and longtime chairman of the African and Afro-American studies department.

It is doubtful the students learned much about blacks, North Carolina or anything else, though they received grades for papers they supposedly turned in and Mr. Nyang’oro, the instructor, was paid $12,000. University and law-enforcement officials say AFAM 280 never met. One of dozens of courses in the department that officials say were taught incompletely or not at all, AFAM 280 is the focus of a criminal indictment against Mr. Nyang’oro that was issued last month.

Eighteen of the 19 students enrolled in the class were members of the North Carolina football team (the other was a former member), reportedly steered there by academic advisers who saw their roles as helping athletes maintain high enough grades to remain eligible to play.

Handed up by an Orange County, N.C., grand jury, the indictment charged Nyang’oro with “unlawfully, willfully and feloniously” accepting payment “with the intent to cheat and defraud” the university in connection with the AFAM course — a virtually unheard-of legal accusation against a professor.

The indictment, critics say, covers just a small piece of one of the biggest cases of academic fraud in North Carolina history. That it has taken place at Chapel Hill, known for its rigorous academic standards as well as an athletic program revered across the country, has only made it more shocking.

Glad they were able to enjoy the bowl game win, because it may very well be their last for awhile.

#2 Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Must be a slow news day- there's nothing new in this article that hasn't already been out there for a long while. 

That said, it's amazing that given how much UNC cheats they haven't actually been any good. 

#3 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,341 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Must be a slow news day- there's nothing new in this article that hasn't already been out there for a long while. 

That said, it's amazing that given how much UNC cheats they haven't actually been any good. 

NY Times article is from yesterday's paper. The indictment was just made available to the press.

#4 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

This is absolutely nothing new... 

#5 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• HUDDLER
  • 11,362 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

This is absolutely nothing new... 

Yep, nothing new.

#6 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

There has been no less than 5 investigations into this matter.  I would be surprised if these indictments uncovered anything that isn't already known.  Until there is anything new, it appears to be a lazy professor that wanted to get paid for work he wasn't doing.  Nothing that I have seen or read suggests that players, athletic personnel, or the administration had anything to do with this stuff.  Athletic advisers may have recognized that these were easy classes with a minimal workload, but the NCAA isn't going to get involved with curriculum.  The NCAA isn't going to set a standard of how classes should or should not be administered.

This whole thing has been one big non-story per how it pertains to athletics.

Of course new information can change that, but with the amount of investigations that have already happened, my opinion is that the likelihood of that happening are minimal

#7 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,889 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

There has been no less than 5 investigations into this matter.  I would be surprised if these indictments uncovered anything that isn't already known.  Until there is anything new, it appears to be a lazy professor that wanted to get paid for work he wasn't doing.  Nothing that I have seen or read suggests that players, athletic personnel, or the administration had anything to do with this stuff.  Athletic advisers may have recognized that these were easy classes with a minimal workload, but the NCAA isn't going to get involved with curriculum.  The NCAA isn't going to set a standard of how classes should or should not be administered.

This whole thing has been one big non-story per how it pertains to athletics.

Of course new information can change that, but with the amount of investigations that have already happened, my opinion is that the likelihood of that happening are minimal

Although it may seem like I have an axe to grind not being a UNC fan, this is far from the truth. Knowing someone who took classes and was helped to be published by Nyang'oro, he assigned insanely long papers and expected quality work. He was a great professor in my friend's eyes (when he cared to be) and an extremely intelligent guy, but he made some mistakes with the athletes who hardly, if ever, attended class. Nyang'oro took a few too many days off as well it seemed.

Same friend was a cheerleader at Carolina and being friends with basketball/football players, often got their "study guides" for tests. Which were exact copies of the tests for multiple classes. 

Granted, all of this from a message board "I know a guy who was there" post, so I understand it's taken with a grain of salt, but it's legit. That said, I saw and benefited from some of the same at State, when I would partner with athletes for group work and their tutors would turn in some quality work for us. 

#8 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:09 AM

Although it may seem like I have an axe to grind not being a UNC fan, this is far from the truth. Knowing someone who took classes and was helped to be published by Nyang'oro, he assigned insanely long papers and expected quality work. He was a great professor in my friend's eyes (when he cared to be) and an extremely intelligent guy, but he made some mistakes with the athletes who hardly, if ever, attended class. Nyang'oro took a few too many days off as well it seemed.

Same friend was a cheerleader at Carolina and being friends with basketball/football players, often got their "study guides" for tests. Which were exact copies of the tests for multiple classes. 

Granted, all of this from a message board "I know a guy who was there" post, so I understand it's taken with a grain of salt, but it's legit. That said, I saw and benefited from some of the same at State, when I would partner with athletes for group work and their tutors would turn in some quality work for us. 

You know why i believe you? My friend is an NAIA athlete and he'll come back to his dorm and have 500dollar gift cards and poo.

Edit; Even in high school. (i played georgia 5a football and basketball) teachers would give you easy street if you can ball.

#9 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Butch Davis, Larry Fedora, who's next? Bobby Petrino?

#10 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth thy Red Bull!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,601 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

As long as whoever coaches, beats State...I don't care.  It's just fun watching Staties squirm.

#11 heel31ok

heel31ok

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,382 posts
  • LocationEasley, SC

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

are suggesting Fedora will be fired?

#12 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

The string of questionable/known coaching hires.

#13 Guest_Dark Knight_*

Guest_Dark Knight_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

You know why i believe you? My friend is an NAIA athlete and he'll come back to his dorm and have 500dollar gift cards and poo.

Edit; Even in high school. (i played georgia 5a football and basketball) teachers would give you easy street if you can ball.

My parents are from Rockingham NC & went to Richmond Senior, which is a 4AA football powerhouse. Melvin Ingram & Dannell Ellerbe both went their, among dozens of former NFL players.

They've had guys get Div-1 football scholarships, yet they couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. They'd just pass them along so they stayed eligible to play ball.

#14 pantherfan49

pantherfan49

Angry inventor

• HUDDLER
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

My parents are from Rockingham NC & went to Richmond Senior, which is a 4AA football powerhouse. Melvin Ingram & Dannell Ellerbe both went their, among dozens of former NFL players.

They've had guys get Div-1 football scholarships, yet they couldn't read or write past a 3rd grade level. They'd just pass them along so they stayed eligible to play ball.

That puts them somewhere around the 20th percentile for UNC football players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.