#1 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,046 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Here is David Newton's latest: LaFell comes up short with Smith out.

He had a chance to show he deserved a new contract worthy of the No. 2 receiver for a championship-caliber team. 

He didn't. 

If anything, LaFell proved how much the Panthers (12-4) need Smith for their Jan. 12 playoff game against either Philadelphia, Green Bay or San Francisco. 

He was targeted five times but had no catches in Sunday's 21-20 regular-season finale against the Atlanta Falcons.

When you're playing for a new contract, you have to make those plays. Smith would have. It's why he's gone from a kick returner in 2001 to the team's all-time leading receiver. 

He gets open and makes clutch catches even when teams design their defense to stop him. His 19-yard catch on fourth-and-10 with the game on the line at Miami earlier this season is a prime example. 

LaFell had a chance to be that guy on Sunday and was shut out. 

That could be a good thing for Carolina when it comes time for negotiations. It's also important to note that Rivera has said he wants LaFell back, and the things LaFell does as a blocker can't be overlooked. 

His block was key for DeAngelo Williams' 72-yard touchdown on a screen pass against theNew York Jets

"Going forward, he’s obviously somebody you’d like to have,” Rivera said before Smith was injured. “You want him back on the team because of all the different things he does. He does more than just run routes. 

Never accuse Newton of being biased. Like I always said: A writer can cover the team, be a fan of the team, and be critical of different aspects of the team when it is warranted.

Not that Newton's words come from a prayer book, but I think that it pretty much puts an exclamation on the LaFell question. LaFell is who he is; not a great receiver, good at times, average most of the time, but an excellent blocker.

You can glean what you want from the piece, but when I focus on Rivera's words in particular it sounds like even if LaFell is here next year, his role will be diminished. And rightly so. 

#2 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,857 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Like I've always said, LaFell is a number three playing at a number two spot.

#3 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I don't disagree with him

#4 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Someone needs to call him out, i think his ship has sailed. He's been outplayed by Ginn and hixon the last two games, he's been also running horrible routes as well. I wanted him to pan but we can find better easily time for hixon and mcnutt to get an increase role before this dude causes us a game.

#5 Jimmy

Jimmy

Beer Me

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationOn A Mother F'ing Boat

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Spot on.

#6 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

It would be tremendous that a unknown receiver would blow in the playoffs for us (McNutt). That'll be something wouldn't it

#7 rko396

rko396

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:33 PM

McNutt's "catch" last week was pure beauty. Throw him in there for a couple plays. Why not, our offense sure needs some spark

#8 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationHighlands Ranch, CO

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Pretty much sums it up.  Lafell had his chance, and he did not take it.

#9 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,599 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

lafell is obviously not a good enough #2. but like Rivera says he does some excellent things for this team.

he is an excellent #3. he will be offered money accordingly.

#10 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,857 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

If'd offer him 3 years; 10.1 million. LaFell doesn't deserve another penny for being a number three.

#11 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Preaching to the choir

#12 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

LaFell was drafted because of his run blocking skills.  Not because of his hands.  They didn't call him "LaDrops" at LSU for no reason.  

#13 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,046 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

All this number 3 talk. Don't bet your life on it.

#14 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,089 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

Someone needs to call him out, i think his ship has sailed. He's been outplayed by Ginn and hixon the last two games, he's been also running horrible routes as well. I wanted him to pan but we can find better easily time for hixon and mcnutt to get an increase role before this dude causes us a game.

David Newton just did.

#15 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,960 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

yeah lafell isn't needed anymore if he can't play as the 2wr , ginn has pretty much locked down the 3wr spot and if we draft a guy i would hope he would get the 1wr spot with smith in the slot. And with the effort he's put in the last couple games i think he sealed his fate, then we have guys like mcnutt and king waiting to get a shot.

and even if that falls through you can get a better receiver in FA's

lafell's done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com