Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Was An NFL Player Until I Was Fired By Two Cowards And A Bigot

19 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a great amount of respect for him and I hope how things worked out here does not cause others to choose not to speak out.

That being said, when you bring attention to yourself and your employer by speaking out about controversial subjects they are well within their right to find a different option, even if they way they handled it was very poor.

I hope the ST coach never gets another job.  Too bad the others players in the meeting that heard the "nuke it til it glows" comment did not speak up, but I can understand why they did not, that is a tough situation.

Posted

I know for a fact that there is institutional anti-homosexual sentiment in the NFL. If the Rhodes situation wasn't 100% proof of that.

HOW EVA

Why was he cut from other teams shortly after that if it wasn't about performance?

Posted

I know for a fact that there is institutional anti-homosexual sentiment in the NFL. If the Rhodes situation wasn't 100% proof of that.

HOW EVA

Why was he cut from other teams shortly after that if it wasn't about performance?

well, he was cut nearly a year after publishing an open letter to a Maryland politician. I would rank that as his biggest distraction.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1866216/

But I agree - he was a very good punter and his outspoken nature probably had much to do with being cut.

Posted

well, he was cut nearly a year after publishing an open letter to a Maryland politician. I would rank that as his biggest distraction.

But I agree - he was a very good punter and his outspoken nature probably had much to do with being cut.

I think you're misunderstanding what I said. He was replaced by a punter that was more efficient and cheaper, and then was cut by the raiders. I'm just saying it's not like the guy hadn't been regressing unlike Rhodes.

Posted

I heard this story on NPR tonight. 

I am not saying this guy wasn't cut because of his being outspoken.  But he was a average/middle of the league punter, the guy who replaced him had similar number and they saved about a million in salary cap. 

Posted

He was a decent punter, not a very good one.  His numbers put him around 16th or 17th in punting average and net average. 

Posted

Remember...Kluwe is a Deadspin darling.  I love Deadspin but they are a very liberal lot and making this guy out to be something more than he really is.