10 replies to this topic

#1 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

http://www.msnbc.com...ies-end-failure

Remember Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s ® idea of mandating drug tests for welfare applicants? As we’ve discussed before, the Republican governor had a theory: the state could save money by forcing drug users to withdraw from the public-assistance system.

At least, that was the idea. In practice, the policy failed spectacularly – only about 2 percent of applicants tested positive, and Florida lost money when it was forced to reimburse everyone else for the cost of the drug test, plus pay for staff and administrative costs for the program.

Also note, the failures of the policy extend beyond the Sunshine State. In Minnesota, state officials reported last week that the drug-testing policy is a flop: participants in Minnesota’s welfare program for low-income families “are actually far less likely to have felony drug convictions than the adult population as a whole.”

“One of the biggest failures is in Missouri, where the state spent $493,000 on drug testing for this fiscal year. It received 32,511 welfare applications and referred 636 for drug testing. Only twenty came back positive, although nearly two hundred people refused to comply. But even if all 200 were drug users, that still comes to more than $2,200 per positive result, which is more expensive than the median benefit in the state.”

The underlying motivation for these policies seems to be an unwarranted assumption: if you’re struggling during difficult economic times, and relying on the safety net to keep your head above water, you’re probably abusing illegal drugs. If not, the theory goes, you’d find a job.

Oh and yeah Floridas law was confirmed - again - as unconstitutional, which is odd since it's supporters always whine about Obama doing unconstutional things yet repeatedly share and like those stupid Facebook memes on the matter.

#2 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:12 PM

Nothing like your classy thread titles.

#3 venom

venom

oneinfiniteconsciousness

• HUDDLER
  • 7,925 posts
  • LocationPleiades

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

your thread titles really suck

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Maybe you can make a rhyme to go along with them like the other kids do.

You know, Matty Matty, he's so fatty. Or something similar. That would seem to be on par.

#5 mav1234

mav1234

• ALL-PRO
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:23 PM

did g5 support this?  didn't realize.

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

Ok

Once lived a guy named g5
The must clueless poster alive
He hated Obama
And lived with his mama
And all his opinions were jive

#7 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not surprised that a gov program spent a lot of money and had little results, it is in their DNA.

#8 Jangler

Jangler

event horizon of chaos

• HUDDLER
  • 48,029 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many people who get any Gov assistance don't do drugs. 

#9 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,768 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

Only time a liberal cares about how much a government program costs is when a portion of their constituency is about to get cut out of free stuff. 

#10 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

That's a pretty good retort right there

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,773 posts