Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

Burls:
2 No hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 1 World Series Ring, 1 World Series Save, 2-1 in the Playoffs, 3 All Star Appearances, All-Star Winner, 132 Wins, Age 30

Halladay:
0 No Hitters, 0 Perfect Games, 0 World Series Rings, 0 World Series Saves or Wins, 0 Playoff Wins or appearances, 4 All Star Appearances, 0 ALS Wins, 142 Wins, Age 32

Need I say more......Buehrle is on a different planet, maybe Halladay can visit him every other year.

80% of those stats have nothing to do with THIS SEASON which the cy young award is based off of........

now if you are talking about "who is better" in their career, then i get it.....but of course halladay isnt getting playoff appearances or WS rings.....he plays for the fuggin blue jays.....he only pitches once every 5 games :D

#17 CarolinaSock

CarolinaSock

• ALL-PRO
  • 668 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

Burls:
2 No hitters, 1 Perfect Game, 1 World Series Ring, 1 World Series Save, 2-1 in the Playoffs, 3 All Star Appearances, All-Star Winner, 132 Wins, Age 30

Halladay:
0 No Hitters, 0 Perfect Games, 0 World Series Rings, 0 World Series Saves or Wins, 0 Playoff Wins or appearances, 4 All Star Appearances, 0 ALS Wins, 142 Wins, Age 32

Need I say more......Buehrle is on a different planet, maybe Halladay can visit him every other year.

I'm a huge White Sox fan (the reason for the Sock in my name), but Halladay is a better pitcher on a day to day basis. No hitters and perfect games require just as much luck as skill. Not to mention you can't hold not being in the playoffs against a single pitcher that only throws 20% of the games. Since 2001 Halladay has a 3.15 ERA compared to Buehrle with a 3.75.

#18 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:35 AM

Listen, I have zero love for either the Jays or the White Sox.
Totally impartial here.

If you were to allow me to have either Buehrle or Halladay join my team tomorrow, it would be Halladay.

That takes nothing from Buehrle, who is a great pitcher. Would love to have him too.

Statistically for all pitchers in the league right now, including relievers, including things like innings pitched, ERA, K's and WHIP, Halladay is the #23 pitcher, Buehrle #118.

#19 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,640 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

Kent Mercker has a no hitter, so he's obviously better than Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, or John Smoltz. The last three posts sorta proved my point. Both top of the rotation starters, but I'd take Halladay every time...and I hate the Blue Jays and Cito fugin' Gaston.

#20 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

I would take Buehrle simply because I know he's not going to crack in a high pressure situation. Halladay hasn't been in one by default of playing for the Jays so I can't say how he would do. And I'm a homer :lol:

#21 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,394 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:32 PM

All I know is I want Matt Holiday to join my Cards. Good morning, good afternoon and good night.

#22 Falcons1stPanthers2nd

Falcons1stPanthers2nd

• HUDDLER
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:27 PM

All I know is I want Matt Holiday to join my Cards. Good morning, good afternoon and good night.

Matt Holliday and Pujols back to back :icon_bs:

#23 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• HUDDLER
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:38 PM

You can now add the MLB record for 45 consecutive batters retired to Buehrle's resume. How about that, Halladay jock-sniffers?!

#24 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

And Buehrle still got the loss. The Terrordome isn't a good place for the Southsiders.

Halladay is a better pitcher. Anyone will tell you this.
Buehrle is great. Halladay is great, and better than Buehrle.

Next question.

#25 jkeough

jkeough

poop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:56 PM

And Buehrle still got the loss. The Terrordome isn't a good place for the Southsiders.

Halladay is a better pitcher. Anyone will tell you this.
Buehrle is great. Halladay is great, and better than Buehrle.

Next question.

but he cant beat the Rays

#26 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,242 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

I thought this thread might be worth revisiting

#27 c0r

c0r