62 replies to this topic

#31 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,322 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Shula's style of offense compliments a defense.  Run the ball, have a huge time of possession, keep the defense resting on the sideline.  He was a good fit with a defensive minded head coach.  Who knows if he'd make a good head coach but I have to say, he's done good work with Cam.  

#32 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

was only the most efficient offense our franchise has had, a perfect compliment to the defense. not to mention the inconsistent play of skill players and line, just not sure what people are expecting or who would have done better or why he should be replaced.

That ain't saying much considering the qbs we've had. And your right the lack of talent isn't his fault. But calling slow developing plays when the line isn't holding up is his fault. There are ways to scheme around lack of talent. Cams raw ability makes up for a lot of this teams offensive struggles

#33 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Chances are good Shula will be back next season with more talent to work with on offense.

Then we'll know if the haters are right about Shula's lack of imagination or if his choices have simply been limited by the personnel available.

Also, Shula's slow, grind it out offense has helped to keep our defensive unit off the field and well rested. It has likely helped to reduce the Panther's fourth quarter defensive lapses due to physical exhaustion.

#34 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Sorry but they would be fools to do that. Shula is a ok OC but honestly he would be worse than CHUD.

#35 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

not that shula would be a good head coach but it's pretty funny how many people want him out of here so we can what?  bring a new guy in, have a new system, make Cam have his 3rd OC in 4 years... yea brilliant

Because offenses never excel under new systems and OC's?

#36 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,900 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

Waiting for answer:

cookie_monster_wait.gif

#37 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • 4,883 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I still want to see what Shula and the offense as a whole can do with another draft, bringing in some OL/WR/TE

I wouldn't be too upset if Shula's derp play-calling left, but he's also done better than I figured he would. If Cam and the offense is happy, you hope to keep him and give them more weapons to add big play potential back into the repertoire 

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,307 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

I still want to see what Shula and the offense as a whole can do with another draft, bringing in some OL/WR/TE

I wouldn't be too upset if Shula's derp play-calling left, but he's also done better than I figured he would. If Cam and the offense is happy, you hope to keep him and give them more weapons to add big play potential back into the repertoire 

I agree.

If we upgraded the OL and improved the running game, this offense would be balanced, dangerous, and chew up clock.  That is a nasty combination with the defense that we have.

#39 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,105 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

so shula is the problem?  not dropped passes, missed blocking assignments, 3rd 4th string depth on line.  maybe the third OC in Cam's 4th year will be the charm?  since no one on the staff seems like they would be promoted, it would be a totally different system

#40 Blackmagic

Blackmagic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Shula's style of offense compliments a defense.  Run the ball, have a huge time of possession, keep the defense resting on the sideline.  He was a good fit with a defensive minded head coach.  Who knows if he'd make a good head coach but I have to say, he's done good work with Cam.  

Lets not forget that Shula's style is perfect for the offense. We don't have an o-line that can pass protection long developing plays (something Chud loved to forget) and only the left side can run block. The receiving is average at best, and the only vertical threat is Ginn, who isn't a fantastic receiver but has been a pleasant surprise. Shula has maximized the strengths of the offense and tries to mask the weaknesses.

The best thing is if we get better weapons and o-line, we can play the methodical way or the quick strike way of Chud. Cam has more responsibilities under Shula and has grown as a passer (he still needs to fix the high throws, but nobody is perfect).

Shula gets a lot of unwarranted hate, but he's better than Chud for the team.

#41 LA_Panther

LA_Panther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

Unapologetic Shula hater here. If they hire him, I'll pay for his plane ticket

#42 mjligon

mjligon

REAL TALK ----->

• HUDDLER
  • 2,972 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

Hahaha hahahahaaa hahaahaha

#43 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,450 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

You are correct. Not that it makes Shula head coach material but our offense doesn't suck, it lacks talent to be explosive.

It has the exact same talent it had when it was the most explosive offense in the league 2 years ago.

#44 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

It has the exact same talent it had when it was the most explosive offense in the league 2 years ago.

1) Yeah, but Steve Smith is not the same anymore. Those two years make a difference at his age and size. 

2) Shockey has never been replaced. 

3) Lafell, has regressed in many respects. Yes, he's gotten more reliable. Sure. However, the great catches we expect him to make in Smitty's decline, he normally doesn't. Think about all the great, long balls Cam's thrown him the past few years that he's shockingly dropped??

4) The Offensive line has regressed as well (line can't hold deep routes long enough). The entire right side is a reclamation project. 

5) Running backs, aren't as productive as two years ago as well (okay, you maybe can blame that on scheme).However, Stewart's appears to be hurt more frequently the past two, and especially this year.  And that line again, can't run block well.

6) Cam and receivers (for what ever reason) can't seem to connect with the long ball, and the receivers have few long gains. See Steve Smith and Brandon Lafell. Ted Ginn is a great speed guy, that has helped the Panthers. But Ginn, is still limited in what he can do for the Panthers, and has dropped some deep bombs himself. 

So that should answer your question?

#45 jarhead

jarhead

• HUDDLER
  • 4,583 posts
  • Locationnear Charlotte

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

dnw.gif.pagespeed.ce.9W2T9qEXjP.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.