Photo
- - - - -

Why Soccer Will Never Become Big in the U.S.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

#17 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,641 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

The main reason soccer is not more popular is that our best athletes play other sports, making our league second, or even third rate.  Following MLS is like following AA baseball, or Division 2 football, it just is not the same as watching the elite.  If our best athletes went on and played in MLS then it would be an elite league, our national team would be elite and compete for World Cups, and American fans would flock to the game.

Unfortunately, the best athletes will choose not to play because there isn't enough glory, fame, and money in American soccer to entice them to continue.

Not to mention the MLS's inability to lure top global talent, due to the financial structure of the MLS. The salary cap for an entire team in the MLS isn't even 1/3 that of a top European player.

#18 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

Once more people speak Spanish in the States than English, it could be a huge sport here, but TV will never hop on board.

That said, the Seattle Sounders have the best crowd of any crowd in professional sports in the US.

#19 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts
  • LocationSafety Harbor, FL

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Unfortunately, the best athletes will choose not to play because there isn't enough glory, fame, and money in American soccer to entice them to continue.

Not to mention the MLS's inability to lure top global talent, due to the financial structure of the MLS. The salary cap for an entire team in the MLS isn't even 1/3 that of a top European player.

Yeah, the only top talent we get does not come here until the twilight of their career.  Hell, Ribery actually said last month that he would consider coming to play MLS after his "real career" is over.  It is clear how our league is viewed.

#20 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

Once more people speak Spanish in the States than English, it could be a huge sport here, but TV will never hop on board.

That said, the Seattle Sounders have the best crowd of any crowd in professional sports in the US.

That is because they cannot throw in a commercial break every four minutes.

#21 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

I think the MLS team here in KC just won some kind of championship but I'm not really sure.

#22 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

I watch English Premier League so do some other huddlers.

#23 sharkkiller

sharkkiller

Inconceivable

• ALL-PRO
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationSanto Domingo

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

If every practice was like this, it would help boost the popularity of soccer.

#24 KendrickPanther

KendrickPanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

soccer will never be popular because the sport has a long history of being played by a bunch of pussies who flop and roll around on the field with torn labia.  They could all use a little coaching up from one Mr Smith.

NBA and NFL players flop all the time. I don't buy this argument. I hate flopping but it happens in every contact sport.

#25 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,117 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

there are TOO many sports in the US vs other countries where soccer might be the ONLY major sport.

soccer was my bread and butter sport that I excelled in but also played hoops, football, baseball, golf. i had too many sports i liked and did well at.

read the book how soccer changed the world. its more about culture and demographics and population.

this is why it's never a good idea to compare the US to other countries in pretty much anything else. size, diversity and sports set us apart.

#26 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 18,218 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

Soccer is the NFL in much of the world having lived in much of the world.

It will continue to grow but there is a ceiling for now on how popular it could be.

But when parents in Cornelius post their kids in Messi jerseys and friends of mine have a favorite premier team it makes me realize that it is getting bigger.

None of that happened 20 years ago.

#27 Goondal

Goondal

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,359 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

NBA and NFL players flop all the time. I don't buy this argument. I hate flopping but it happens in every contact sport.

For sure, America's best athlete at present is an amazing flopper.

#28 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,821 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

My wife always said that soccer is dumb... Now she watches it with me every weekend. When you know the rules and pick ur team, u will realize how addicting it is. Soccer season starts in August and ends in late May. Free agency is twice a year. It's very entertaining and year around. Football season is almost over, soccer is only half way thru.

#29 Swan

Swan

Executive

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

There just isn't an American foundation for soccer in the States.

Some potential soccer players are playing other sports, but the truth is, most just don't pursue the passion since soccer just isn't popular or mainstream in the States. It's a negative feedback cycle, but over the past few years, we have gotten considerably better.

#30 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Because it's fuging boring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com