Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

1st Round TE?


  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16 Pantherman

Pantherman

    Senior Member

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Draft is really deep at WR.  I wouldn't mind grabbing two if the draft plays out right.  WR, OT, CB are by far our three biggest needs IMO.  Our scheme downplays the importance of the CB a bit since we're so zone heavy.  Your elite CBs are the man cover guys.

 

Yes the draft class for WRs are deep. But 70% those WRs in 2-3 years from the time they are drafted turn out to busts or just avg. The other 30% solid and dependable  for years. 2-3 and maybe 4 those guys probably will be come elite depending on their team and coaching is. If we want a star WR a day one start. We get one early in the draft1st or second. Since we could be drafting between 27-32. Depending how far we get into the playoffs. We might need to pull the trigger in the 1st round to get a very good WR. Waiting round 3 and above. Wrs alot of the time will be bust more then any thing within the first 2-3 years.
 



#17 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

    The Josh McRoberts of Posting

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

Yes the draft class for WRs are deep. But 70% those WRs in 2-3 years from the time they are drafted turn out to busts or just avg. The other 30% solid and dependable for years. 2-3 and maybe 4 those guys probably will be come elite depending on their team and coaching is. If we want a star WR a day one start. We get one early in the draft1st or second. Since we could be drafting between 27-32. Depending how far we get into the playoffs. We might need to pull the trigger in the 1st round to get a very good WR. Waiting round 3 and above. Wrs alot of the time will be bust more then any thing within the first 2-3 years.


Hopefully with Gettlemens experience at scouting we'll increase our chances of landing a first year starter.

#18 Pantherman

Pantherman

    Senior Member

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

Hopefully with Gettlemens experience at scouting we'll increase our chances of landing a first year starter.

 

Yea, but it must be done in the first round or 2. Any WR beyond that will nothing more then a project WR like AE was. It would take 2-3 seasons for them to get ready to start. We don't have 2-3 years. So the time is now for us to finally pull the trigger in the first round and go after a big time WR from a top college. No more projects plz.



#19 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

    flash

  • ALL-PRO
  • 1,654 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

would brandon williams influence that pick?  hope he gets some play time and flashes in the playoffs.  

 

right now its RT and its not even close for me.  shoot double dip... we are going to need them to replace bell and slide over to be successor to gross.  

 

wr in the second aint so bad... some nfl ready ballers coming out this yr.  but OT WR im happy either way.

 

 

 



#20 PantherDynasty

PantherDynasty

    MEMBER

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

I know a lot of you guys are fond of the idea of 2 TE sets, but I think that it would be best to not overthink the 1st pick. DRAFT KELVIN BENJAMIN



#21 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

    mountain man

  • ALL-PRO
  • 10,351 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

if we don't draft Cam weapons in either the first or second round im going to be fuging livid. The defense is elite. Time to get Cam some help.



#22 intangiblejohnny

intangiblejohnny

    The Josh McRoberts of Posting

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationInterwebz

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:42 AM

if we don't draft Cam weapons in either the first or second round im going to be fuging livid. The defense is elite. Time to get Cam some help.


If I were Buzz Cook I would stipulate that in Cams contract.

#23 WestCoastPanther

WestCoastPanther

    NOT NEWB

  • NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

I'm sick of the projects all over the place. I want guys who can start day one. We was very lucky draft Smith in the 6th round years ago. No one knew Smith would turn out this good. But that was the luck of a draw pick there and I'm glad it turn out well for us over the years. But since then we have had crap WRs for the most part since Smith. We need a new top WR for Cam to throw to. Only play we will get guys like that is 1st or 2nd round. Screw the late rounds project crap. Sick of hearing it and I want to see our team get a Star WR this coming draft. Smith has very little left in the tank and he might play one to 2 more years at most. Lafell,Ginn, and the rest of those guys will never get it done. Bottom line 1st or 2nd pick of the draft. We need a very talented WR. Plan and simple.

 

Steve Smith was drafted in the 3rd round.
 



#24 WestCoastPanther

WestCoastPanther

    NOT NEWB

  • NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:12 AM

I'm all up for drafting a TE or a WR but that O-Line worries me



#25 ncguy2184

ncguy2184

    Mmmm BoJangles......

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • LocationMyrtle Beach S.C

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:20 AM

<-------------- This guy



#26 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

    SENIOR HUDDLER

  • ALL-PRO
  • 4,127 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:05 AM

I love Ebron but we better not trade up for him.

LANDRY in the 2nd!!!!

#27 Beast_3000

Beast_3000

    MEMBER

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'm sick of the projects all over the place. I want guys who can start day one. We was very lucky draft Smith in the 6th round years ago. No one knew Smith would turn out this good. But that was the luck of a draw pick there and I'm glad it turn out well for us over the years. But since then we have had crap WRs for the most part since Smith. We need a new top WR for Cam to throw to. Only play we will get guys like that is 1st or 2nd round. Screw the late rounds project crap. Sick of hearing it and I want to see our team get a Star WR this coming draft. Smith has very little left in the tank and he might play one to 2 more years at most. Lafell,Ginn, and the rest of those guys will never get it done. Bottom line 1st or 2nd pick of the draft. We need a very talented WR. Plan and simple.


I feel your pain brother. Glad we have a new GM's eyes to see our inept receiver core in action.

#28 Evengelion

Evengelion

    HUDDLER

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't mind Jeremy Gallon in the 4th-5th round. Little dude reminds me of Smith.



#29 Icebox

Icebox

    NOT NEWB

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I agree that Ebron is a TE, but I disagree on the relative importance of 40 times. Steve Smith had a mediocre 40 time in pre-draft combines. But he was a lot faster than anyone else in pads and gear. Game speed is much more important than controlled measures in artificial environments.



#30 mbarbour21

mbarbour21

    HUDDLER

  • HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

BPA


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com