Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is He the Right Man?

42 posts in this topic

Posted

I just don't get how you draft a guy who is a SF but can't shoot the ball worth a damn. Makes no sense. 

As bad as MJ has been for this Franchise, I think that MJ could've made better picks in the last two years. I would assume that MJ would have went with his UNC Barnes, a sharp shooter in Beal, or big in Drummond for 2012 and especially with McLemore this past draft.

Posted

We should go back to having mj draft the players. He's the best at drafting

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

I was between Beal and MKG in the 2012 draft. Then, made up my mind on MKG. Was very, very high on him. But, my decision doesnt matter bc Im not Cho. Cho who is paid to scout/draft players shouldve been smart enough to see a guy like Beal or Drummond. Hindsight 20/20, the MKG pick is very questionable and could turn out being a bad pick.

The Zeller pick is just flat out bad. Im not ruling the kid out but again we needed a SG badly and we passed up on McLemore. Even Noel would have made more sense in regard to the signing of Jefferson and long term.

My friend invited me over to watch the draft and eat pizza and we just knew we had gotten a steal in Noel and then when they said Zeller's name our mouths literally dropped to the floor.

Posted

My friend invited me over to watch the draft and eat pizza and we just knew we had gotten a steal in Noel and then when they said Zeller's name our mouths literally dropped to the floor.

Same here. It happened to everyone.

1 person likes this

Posted

We should go back to having mj draft the players. He's the best at drafting

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Im not saying that MJ was ever good. I'm trying to show just how bad we are even when MJ isnt picking.

Posted

Same here. It happened to everyone.

I'm not sure why anyone was shocked by Zeller being picked, he was linked with Charlotte before the draft and insiders were saying that Charlotte wouldn't pass on him no matter who was available. 

Biz and MKG weren't horrible picks, the team wasn't trying to compete. They were trying to build a team long term, they took two projects that were defensive stoppers with suspect offense. 

Zeller himself is a project as a stretch 4, they expect him to be able to develop a 3pt shot and then be able to use that and his drive ability to develop into a stretch 4 with some playmaking ability. 

The whole point was to get talent and stay bad enough to build a deep young core of guys.The OKC formula, which apparently was ended abruptly and a year earlier then OKC did. Remember we are just counting the Cho years here. 

That's why most of the NBA experts, insiders and so forth were shocked by the Jefferson pick up. 

Posted

I'm not sure why anyone was shocked by Zeller being picked, he was linked with Charlotte before the draft and insiders were saying that Charlotte wouldn't pass on him no matter who was available. 

Dont tell me you were not shocked.

Sure, I get all the sources before the draft linking Zeller to Cho. But, that was before we ever knew that both McLemore and Noel were going to fall right into our laps.

Posted

Dont tell me you were not shocked.

Sure, I get all the sources before the draft linking Zeller to Cho. But, that was before we ever knew that both McLemore and Noel were going to fall right into our laps.

No I wasn't shocked at all. Cho really liked Zeller and had him #1 on their board. All the insider's with connections to Charlotte and even those without were saying Zeller for Charlotte. 

I didn't expect Charlotte to take anyone else but Zeller. Rich Cho overrode everyone in the building for that pick just like he did for Biz. His future in the NBA is tied to those two players developing. 

Posted

I'll admit, when McLemore and Noel dropped I couldn't believe it.

So for Cody to develop, what does his ceiling need to be.  Because being a hard working 6th man or glue guy isn't going to cut it.

Posted

I'll admit, when McLemore and Noel dropped I couldn't believe it.

So for Cody to develop, what does his ceiling need to be.  Because being a hard working 6th man or glue guy isn't going to cut it.

For Cho's vision, he needs to develop a 3pt game to stretch the floor and continue to improve on his driving ability. Toughen up and add a bit of weight. Probably needs to get to a 16pt-8reb-3asst-1blk kind of player to be a success for where he was drafted. 

2 people like this

Posted

Good stat line cpf96...

Here is why I've said that Cody WILL be a good to possibly great pick.

Dirk, with a similar body and skill set, only averaged 8 ppt and ~3 ppg as a rookie averaging about 20 mpg. The only reason that his ppg finished that high is because he started getting significantly more minutes as the season wound down and finished with a season-high of 29 points in an April game (basically the end of the season). Everyone knows he continued to work tirelessly on his range and that fade away and became the Dirk we all know now.

So, Cody, again, with a similar body and skill set, is currently averaging 5 ppg and 4 rpg. He's also shown himself to be a deft passer - which Dirk has never been, and he has been a willing defender and shown a capacity for getting big blocks. Now, I know Dirk is setting the bar awfully high, but as I said, their frames, footwork, athleticism, and skill set are very similar at this same point starting out in each of their careers. They've said Cody showed great ability in hitting 3s in pre-draft workouts and we've seen nights where he hits multiple 15-20 footers. He needs minutes and confidence. Give him another offseason to work on a go-to move or two, and he could be much more than "just another guy." But, we'll have to wait and see.

Posted

For Cho's vision, he needs to develop a 3pt game to stretch the floor and continue to improve on his driving ability. Toughen up and add a bit of weight. Probably needs to get to a 16pt-8reb-3asst-1blk kind of player to be a success for where he was drafted. 

I know it's early, but do you think he can eventually get there?

What worries me more than his weight and physicality is his seemingly passive demeanor.  If he does develop his jump shot I worry about how good he can be if he continues to be as passive as he has been. 

Given his size, his focus on his outside shot and always being up around the top of the key does not help the team with rebounding.  There are many times where he is running in for a rebound from outside, and he's a 7 foot power forward. 

Also at 7 foot, I wonder if the long term plan would be to move him to center down the road if he does not work out at PF, or if he would even be capable of playing Center.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for him to work out and eventually be an all-star, but I hated the pick when it happened, and everything I've seen so far does not convince me.  He was supposed to be one of the most 'NBA ready' players coming out.