Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shula in the Playoffs

118 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I know many of you are hoping for a new Shula in the playoffs. I have seen many references to him "holding something back" for when it counts.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't happen.

In 1997 his offense averaged 19 points a game.(30th in the NFL), In the playoffs that year they averaged 13 points per game.

In 1999 his offense averaged 17 points a game (28th in the NFL). In the playoffs that year they averaged 10 points per game.

I know, I know, he had no weapons, we have Cam, he has learned since then, yada yada yada.

What I am saying is that historically his unit has performed worse in the playoffs than regular season. To those hoping for some improvements as far as coaching goes, history tells us you may be disappointed.

What we can all hope for is perfect execution and a few turnovers caused by our defense. Those two things will lead us to victory. There will be little room for error on offense.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We don't really have the offensive talent to be much else IMO...

What I do hope and hopefully it will happen...is regardless of 89s status Cam
Newton will run. He is far and away the best aspect of our ground attack and we can't have him being a spectator of a weak rush game
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

lol at him "holding something back" he's not going to just ditch what he's been doing all year. He didnt change anything after a 17-13 victory heading into Atlanta, what makes anyone think he'll change anything now?

Posted · Report post

I know many of you are hoping for a new Shula in the playoffs. I have seen many references to him "holding something back" for when it counts.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't happen.

In 1997 his offense averaged 19 points a game.(30th in the NFL), In the playoffs that year they averaged 13 points per game.

In 1999 his offense averaged 17 points a game (28th in the NFL). In the playoffs that year they averaged 10 points per game.

I know, I know, he had no weapons, we have Cam, he has learned since then, yada yada yada.

What I am saying is that historically his unit has performed worse in the playoffs than regular season. To those hoping for some improvements as far as coaching goes, history tells us you may be disappointed.

What we can all hope for is perfect execution and a few turnovers caused by our defense. Those two things will lead us to victory. There will be little room for error on offense.

So says the guy that told us we would be a terrible team under Shula....even though we went 12-4.

Your hate for Shula sure runs deep.
9 people like this

Posted · Report post

We need to fire his sorry ass.

Posted · Report post

So says the guy that told us we would be a terrible team under Shula....even though we went 12-4.

Your hate for Shula sure runs deep.

I said the offense would not do well.

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

4 people like this

Posted · Report post

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

We are 12-4 and beat the Niners, saints, and Pats.

We wre also a very efficient offense being strong in TOP, redzone efficiency, etc.

I will take that
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

I'm not anticipating anything, and with a statistical sample of two games I don't know why you would be either.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

We are 12-4 and beat the Niners, saints, and Pats.

I will take that

That's because the defense drastically improved. If we're going to become a consistent winner. The offense can't rank in the bottom of the nfl.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I don't want different I just want better ball control and movement. Our play calling has become stagnant and it needs to change.

Posted · Report post

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

They finished 10th and 11th in yards and points per drive

That isn't bad
2 people like this