• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I know many of you are hoping for a new Shula in the playoffs. I have seen many references to him "holding something back" for when it counts.

Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't happen.

In 1997 his offense averaged 19 points a game.(30th in the NFL), In the playoffs that year they averaged 13 points per game.

In 1999 his offense averaged 17 points a game (28th in the NFL). In the playoffs that year they averaged 10 points per game.

I know, I know, he had no weapons, we have Cam, he has learned since then, yada yada yada.

What I am saying is that historically his unit has performed worse in the playoffs than regular season. To those hoping for some improvements as far as coaching goes, history tells us you may be disappointed.

What we can all hope for is perfect execution and a few turnovers caused by our defense. Those two things will lead us to victory. There will be little room for error on offense.

#2 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

We don't really have the offensive talent to be much else IMO...

What I do hope and hopefully it will happen...is regardless of 89s status Cam
Newton will run. He is far and away the best aspect of our ground attack and we can't have him being a spectator of a weak rush game

#3 Dex

Dex

Knight of Sunlight

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,836 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

A WHOLE PIE!

Well aren't you a bundle of fuging sunshine.

#4 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,353 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

lol at him "holding something back" he's not going to just ditch what he's been doing all year. He didnt change anything after a 17-13 victory heading into Atlanta, what makes anyone think he'll change anything now?

#5 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

I know many of you are hoping for a new Shula in the playoffs. I have seen many references to him "holding something back" for when it counts.

In 1997 his offense averaged 19 points a game.(30th in the NFL), In the playoffs that year they averaged 13 points per game.

In 1999 his offense averaged 17 points a game (28th in the NFL). In the playoffs that year they averaged 10 points per game.

I know, I know, he had no weapons, we have Cam, he has learned since then, yada yada yada.

What I am saying is that historically his unit has performed worse in the playoffs than regular season. To those hoping for some improvements as far as coaching goes, history tells us you may be disappointed.

What we can all hope for is perfect execution and a few turnovers caused by our defense. Those two things will lead us to victory. There will be little room for error on offense.

So says the guy that told us we would be a terrible team under Shula....even though we went 12-4.

Your hate for Shula sure runs deep.

#6 SuperJTheGreat

SuperJTheGreat

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

We need to fire his sorry ass.

#7 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

So says the guy that told us we would be a terrible team under Shula....even though we went 12-4.

Your hate for Shula sure runs deep.

I said the offense would not do well.

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

#8 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,224 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

We are 12-4 and beat the Niners, saints, and Pats.

We wre also a very efficient offense being strong in TOP, redzone efficiency, etc.

I will take that

#9 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm not anticipating anything, and with a statistical sample of two games I don't know why you would be either.

#10 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

I will take that

That's because the defense drastically improved. If we're going to become a consistent winner. The offense can't rank in the bottom of the nfl.

#11 Snake

Snake

Im on the Gus Bus

• HUDDLER
  • 12,132 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

I don't want different I just want better ball control and movement. Our play calling has become stagnant and it needs to change.

#12 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,979 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

It ranked 26th.

You were saying?

They finished 10th and 11th in yards and points per drive

That isn't bad

#13 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

We wre also a very efficient offense being strong in TOP, redbone efficiency, etc.

I will take that

Yes, you can win with the 26th ranked offense if you have a stout defense. We should be happy about that.

But don't pretend that Shula put together a good offense this season. Without Cam's legs it would have ranked dead last in the league. That guy bailed us out countless times.

#14 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

That's because the defense drastically improved. If we're going to become a consistent winner. The offense can't rank in the bottom of the nfl.

This.

#15 footballisasport

footballisasport

• HUDDLER
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

The question is, how far did his team go in those play-offs during those two years?

Play-offs are one and done. Scoring high doesn't guarantee a team will move on anymore than scoring low. Play-offs is where the team that wants it the most do everything in their power to get the win. A team only needs to score one point better than their opponents to win, we saw that last night with the Colts vs. Chiefs, 44/45 win. IMO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com