Photo
- - - - -

For All The Crap Cam Took In College, Why Does Jameis Get A Pass?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:41 AM

They called Cam a fake, phony, insincere... I suspect a lot of it was because of his crazy super powered swag, but also in part due to what happened at Florida.

But, Jameis isn't nearly as charismatic and IMO is a less eloquent speaker than Cam, and he was accused of rape (which I don't believe was a rape, for the record). Regardless, every time he speaks, I get the impression that he is "putting on" for the cameras. I never felt like that for certain with Cam, even before he was our QB.

Jameis' post game description of the conversation in the final huddle between players is a prime example of what I'm talking about... that was so uncomfortably awkward and unbelievable, if not completely impossible.

Just an observation... I've been a fan of his game since before the season started, but his on-camera demeanor/personality just seems to me, to be the epitome of what the media tried to make Cam out to be and he never was - a fake, phony, fraud, etc.

I just find it to be an interesting case study... ESPN has continuously hyped and built him up despite his fabricated personality and questionable quotables, notwithstanding rape accusations, while they bashed Cam non-stop through college and the pros until this year.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm just saying I don't get the Cam hate all of these years and yet, Jameis has not only gotten a pass, but has been hyped and marketed to no end.

#2 Jakob

Jakob

never conquered rarely came

• Stop Making Threads...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

Simple. The better you are the more hate you get.

#3 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:58 AM

because jameis is white

#4 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,317 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:58 AM

I had the opposite impression of the postgame interview with Winston.  I thought he was very charismatic and showed how he was able to lead that team as a redshirt freshman.

#5 juliansever00

juliansever00

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Simple. The better you are the more hate you get.

lol are you serious, i hear fans calling jameis a rapist and saying he will be a bust in the nfl.. a lot of people hate certain type of qb's( for whatever reason)

FSU was down 18 yesterday, and Winston needed to complete a final drive with 1:19 left in the game, and he didnt flinch... Andrew Luck plays like numbnuts every first half, but always gets comebacks( and he is praised for being clutch).... Why does Winston get hate for doing the same... some qb's will never be respected.... look at the qb's in the nfl right now, and look at the ones that are hated( what do most have in common)....

#6 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

Reading some of the other comments in the game thread, I definitely see he is at the very least, polarizing. Some in the thread said much of what I said here, while others said what you are saying here as well. I don't know... there's times where he comes off as a great speaker who says all the right things, but then there's times where it's like he's trying to say what he thinks people want to hear, gets caught up, and then flubs it. That's what I was saying about the question regarding the huddle and what they said to each other.

That response was laughable. In the middle of a game, needing a touchdown to win, it's the national championship, and you all had a Q & A session like that? Lol. Then there was him saying he put the team on his back (which arguably he did, but it's typically not acceptable to say that), him saying the equivalent to his team didn't believe in him all year until that last drive, then when asked what it felt like he said,"all the adversity I went through this yea... we went through in the first half," or something close to that.

It feels like he's trying to come off as charismatic rather than just being that way. BUT, as I said, in the game thread alone it appears he is extremely polarizing and opinions differ on how he comes off to a great degree.

#7 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

When Cam won the SEC Championship game, did the sideline reporter hound him about his laptop scandal or his father's large payday?

"Gets a pass" my ass.

#8 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Reading some of the other comments in the game thread, I definitely see he is at the very least, polarizing. Some in the thread said much of what I said here, while others said what you are saying here as well. I don't know... there's times where he comes off as a great speaker who says all the right things, but then there's times where it's like he's trying to say what he thinks people want to hear, gets caught up, and then flubs it. That's what I was saying about the question regarding the huddle and what they said to each other.

That response was laughable. In the middle of a game, needing a touchdown to win, it's the national championship, and you all had a Q & A session like that? Lol. Then there was him saying he put the team on his back (which arguably he did, but it's typically not acceptable to say that), him saying the equivalent to his team didn't believe in him all year until that last drive, then when asked what it felt like he said,"all the adversity I went through this yea... we went through in the first half," or something close to that.

It feels like he's trying to come off as charismatic rather than just being that way. BUT, as I said, in the game thread alone it appears he is extremely polarizing and opinions differ on how he comes off to a great degree.

Being a little harsh me thinks. The kid literally just turned 20 and just won the biggest game in college football. I don't think we should bust his balls for not articulating everything perfectly in the heat of the moment.

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

44642781.jpg

#10 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

When Cam won the SEC Championship game, did the sideline reporter hound him about his laptop scandal or his father's large payday?

Get a pass, my ass.

I'm not gonna lie Del, that was incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. But, I've come to expect that from the media. And if i'm not mistaken, Cam was asked about the NCAA stuff during their championship run, either before or after games. I don't remember if the laptop stuff got brought up, but i'm fairly certain his dad did. IIRC, there was a similarly awkward moment when a reporter asked Cam about the NCAA stuff and/or how it affected him not having his dad around the team for the home stretch. That's the media.

But, in no way does the media ever hype up Cam "the person," like they have Jameis. I was just saying for as many similarities as there are in the stories (accusations of scandal/crimes, best players on the field, team leaders, won the Hesiman and national championship in their first and only year as starters, etc.), Jameis' has been built up as possibly being even better than he is, while Cam was torn down for what he was not.

Like I said, I've enjoyed watching him play and no doubt he's got a bright future, but the media's handling of their public personas has baffled me.

#11 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

You're letting your homerism get the best of you.

I've followed him all year. This isn't based off one interview. I gave examples from the post game stuff because it's most recent and readily available to illustrate my point.

#12 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:01 PM

Being a little harsh me thinks. The kid literally just turned 20 and just won the biggest game in college football. I don't think we should bust his balls for not articulating everything perfectly in the heat of the moment.

No doubt. Age definitely factors in. Hell, i'm glad there aren't cameras in my face during my daily interactions with others, lol. I would be probably be the Cam Newton of everyday joes, as far as public perception.

#13 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,538 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm not gonna lie Del, that was incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. But, I've come to expect that from the media. And if i'm not mistaken, Cam was asked about the NCAA stuff during their championship run, either before or after games. I don't remember if the laptop stuff got brought up, but i'm fairly certain his dad did. IIRC, there was a similarly awkward moment when a reporter asked Cam about the NCAA stuff and/or how it affected him not having his dad around the team for the home stretch. That's the media. But, in no way do the media ever hype up Cam "the person," like they have Jameis. I was just saying for as many similarities as there are in the stories (accusations of scandal/crimes, best players on the field, team leaders, won the Hesiman and national championship in their first and only year as starters, etc.), Jameis' has been built up as possibly being even better than he is, while Cam was torn down for what he was not. Like I said, I've enjoyed watching him play and no doubt he's got a bright future, but the media's handling of their public personas has baffled me.

Here is one prime example of the media hating on Cam:

Tracy-Wolfson-Cammy-Cam-Juice.png

Also, when Verne Lundquist told the story about Cam Newton during one of the games, he said Cam Newton left Florida because of The Golden Calf of Bristol starting, skipping the laptop story all together.

Then there was this special

443886152.gif?1320803767

Which was favorable to Cam. 

And lets not forget Cam DID steal the laptop. His dad DID take money. And still he was given pretty favorable media his Heisman year.

You're chasing a story that isn't there.

#14 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

And lets not forget Cam DID steal the laptop. His dad DID take money. And still he was given pretty favorable media his Heisman year.

I think the official story is Cam had a stolen (hot) laptop, but he did not steal it himself.  Still dumb, but not the same.

Edit: err, after looking at more articles real quick, not quite sure what really happened.

#15 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

• Moderators
  • 14,971 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Here is one prime example of the media hating on Cam:
Posted Image

Also, when Verne Lundquist told the story about Cam Newton during one of the games, he said Cam Newton left Florida because of The Golden Calf of Bristol starting, skipping the laptop story all together.

Then there was this special

Posted Image

Which was favorable to Cam.

I wasn't aware of the Lundquist story. As far as "favorable media," I agree, but I got the impression during his run that it was only pertaining to his on-field play. I remember him getting huge hype for what he was doing on the field, but off it, all I remember is the pay for play crap and every so often the Florida stuff...

I'm not trying to make a big deal about it, because I am a fan. I think i'm extra sensitive about Cam's coverage and how he is portrayed because I saw similarities between my background/demeanor and his, minus the incredibly gifted athlete part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com