#1 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

I visited my old High School over Christmas break. I went to Goldsboro High, in Goldsboro (Eastern NC). In the same building is another High School they named Wayne Engineering. Wayne Engineering and Goldsboro High actually border each other in the hallway, and the Wayne Engineering people actually took the time to block the windows on the doors so we couldn't even see inside of their hallways.

The city of Goldsboro is racially diverse. According to Wikipedia its 50-45-3-2. (Black, White, Hispanic,Other) Goldsboro High is probably 99% black. To the contrary, Wayne Engineering is probably 90% white. I could probably talk all day about the institutional segregation but why bother?

Anyway, in order to "get into" Wayne Engineering your middle school grades must be decent, for which you are then subject to a "random" drawing which decides rather or not you get in. I would argue against using middle school GPA to determine ones brightness, but its even more irrelevant when you're considering the fact that the middle schools in Goldsboro are also heavily segregated (Will get to that later). I'm also positive that the random drawing is about as legitimate as the NBA draft lottery.

However, I'm not concerned with the segregation aspect of this. On my visit back to NC it was apparent where I was welcomed, and where I wasn't, and that's fine. In hindsight however I am very frustrated with the fact that kids a few doors down from me were building robots that twerked on the floor, while I went without a math teacher for almost a year and a half. I'm not talking about two schools 15 miles away from each other. We were in the same building. We shared the same Building! And of course, we weren't allowed to participate in any of their clubs and orgaizarioms but was the same true in reverse? Of course not.

This nonsense is so institutionalized that I didn't even realize it until I was on the plane heading back west. I learned nothing of value in high School and if it wasn't for my parents giving me the resources I needed to learn outside of school who knows where the hell I would be. I fully plan to sue the poo out of Wayne Country Public Schools for taking my parents tax money, but failing to properly educate me and my peers, while spending god knows how much on people right down the hall. If racial segregation is truly the goal in all of those, which I don't doubt that it isn't, why not make the schools separate but equal? Surely the resources do exist, since the tax revenue funding Wayne Engineering is coming from all over the city. What's so hard about that?

#2 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,757 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:21 AM

Everyone knows black people are not smart or randomly chosen enough to have robots

#3 Panthro

Panthro

Bunned

• Moderators
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

Work harder

#4 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

keep us up to speed on your lawsuit

#5 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

There's issues with all sorts of counties down east.  You'll find a lot of county run schools nearly all white where the city schools are all black.  There are attempts to merge the two with all kinds of racial undertones.  I think it's a waste of money to run two systems in the same county, but then again I see how farked up Durham county is.  There's a balance somewhere while taking racial components into consideration. 

#6 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Both of these schools are under Wayne County though. This isn't a district or zoning issue. Its an issue of two schools in the exact same building being treated completely different. You can take race out of the equation completely, and this would still be unacceptable.

#7 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

Why, on a trip back home, did you go to your old high school?

#8 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Both of these schools are under Wayne County though. This isn't a district or zoning issue. Its an issue of two schools in the exact same building being treated completely different. You can take race out of the equation completely, and this would still be unacceptable.

What you're describing is how a charter system is built.  The Engineering school applicants must meet minimum standards and be put in a lottery.  Just because they're housed in the same building is raising concerns from you because demographically it looks like segregation, whereas it may simply be due to performance and or participation rates.  A lot of kids stay in the public/standard system in order to play sports not really available to charter/private institutions.  Did you question the principal on why they're using the same building?  I would imagine the Engineering school is "leasing" the space from the county/school board to be housed there. 

#9 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Why, on a trip back home, did you go to your old high school?

Why not?

#10 Awesomeness!

Awesomeness!

Zulu

• HUDDLER
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:32 PM

What you're describing is how a charter system is built. The Engineering school applicants must meet minimum standards and be put in a lottery. Just because they're housed in the same building is raising concerns from you because demographically it looks like segregation, whereas it may simply be due to performance and or participation rates. A lot of kids stay in the public/standard system in order to play sports not really available to charter/private institutions. Did you question the principal on why they're using the same building? I would imagine the Engineering school is "leasing" the space from the county/school board to be housed there.

You're missing the point g5. Two schools in the same building have unequal access to viatle resources. That is a problem.

#11 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

You're missing the point g5. Two schools in the same building have unequal access to viatle resources. That is a problem.

Good luck with the suit.  Would like to read the brief.

#12 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

I don't know about the rest of ya'll but I don't want to go back to Highschool for any reason, not even to remember it. I lived in Goldsboro till I was 9 and yeah it's about what you would expect.  Only reason I've ever gone back was to visit family and by that I mean I went to their house and nothing else.

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:12 AM

i would worry less that two schools have access to different levels of resources and worry more about the unequal access to them as reflected socially and economically. egalitarianism should transcend the inheritance of any kind of socio-economic status and these sorts of observations are evidence (anecdotally, i grant) that there's a problem.

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,138 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

There are major problems. 

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

#15 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Why not?

Because only weird motherfugers go visit their high school after they graduate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.