Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Gates book

64 posts in this topic

Posted

The CWG hornet nest effectively kicked

Posted

cwg are you on the democratic payroll?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Well yeah but since it's for the Dems I'm getting paid in hemp oil and sunshine promises

1 person likes this

Posted

Getting out of Afghanistan is a bad thing?

quiet, ad hominem attacks at work

Posted

Is there anyone here who believes that we should not have went to Afghanistan in the first place?   I assume most rational people understand why we went in.  So should we have just went in, killed some Al Qaeda members, then turned around and left?    What other choices did we have.   

A key point that is often ignored in the debate about Afghanistan is this.  Unlike Iraq,  almost everyone agreed at the time that going into Afghanistan was the right thing to do.  Even Ron Paul agreed sort of.  Because we went in, because almost all of us agreed that going in was the right thing to do, then we should have the national will to keep some forces there until there is some stability. 

Posted

Personally I agreed with the idea that we needed to do something in Afghanistan, And really, we have done a decent job weighing our own selfish national interests against those of the Afghan people and have done a LOT to eradicate "the bad guys".

But Iraq completely and utterly screwed up the effort and made people realize that nation building still sucks even though that was not our primary goal in Afghanistan. Those feelings have carried over to the detriment of our real work.

Places like this that are not really governed yet contain people that threaten our interests are made for drones, cash for intel, and covert ops. Despite being a pansy liberal, these are all things I see as needed at times to balance our nations security with the idea that there are sovereign nations out there we just can;t tell what to do.

Posted

The Afghanistan War has been nothing but a military and financial quagmire for the USA, the longest conflict in our nation's history.  

Actually its not.

The conflict in the Philippines started with the Spanish American war in 1898 and didn't completely end until 15 June 1913. 

And US troops stayed in the Philippines until the 1990's (with a slight interruption during WWII). 

Posted

Personally I agreed with the idea that we needed to do something in Afghanistan, And really, we have done a decent job weighing our own selfish national interests against those of the Afghan people and have done a LOT to eradicate "the bad guys".

But Iraq completely and utterly screwed up the effort and made people realize that nation building still sucks even though that was not our primary goal in Afghanistan. Those feelings have carried over to the detriment of our real work.

Places like this that are not really governed yet contain people that threaten our interests are made for drones, cash for intel, and covert ops. Despite being a pansy liberal, these are all things I see as needed at times to balance our nations security with the idea that there are sovereign nations out there we just can;t tell what to do.

IMO, we should keep a force of 5-10 thousand there for the foreseeable future in order to forestall any possibility of the Taliban regaining power.  Give them plenty of Airpower and a well fortified base of operations.  But allow the Afghan government to run all other aspects of the country.  If they can keep a relatively stable government for 20-30 years, they might actually have a shot at making it as a country. 

Posted

reasonable but American politics make it unlikely - still the fact we are still there at all kind of amazes me.

Posted

Is there anyone here who believes that we should not have went to Afghanistan in the first place?   I assume most rational people understand why we went in.  So should we have just went in, killed some Al Qaeda members, then turned around and left?    What other choices did we have.   

A key point that is often ignored in the debate about Afghanistan is this.  Unlike Iraq,  almost everyone agreed at the time that going into Afghanistan was the right thing to do.  Even Ron Paul agreed sort of.  Because we went in, because almost all of us agreed that going in was the right thing to do, then we should have the national will to keep some forces there until there is some stability. 

I was all for Afghanistan. This whole country would have followed Bush to that hell and back, including myself. Of course I was young and enlisted, but I still believe those first 2 years should have been enough. Instead, we ignored that country and I spent half of my Army career in Iraq. 4,000 dead servicemen later and it was all for nothing. We replaced a secular regime and threw our marbles in with religious Shiite wackos running the country. 

fug Cheney. fug Bush. fug Hillary and Kerry and every coward who voted us into that mess. I'm sure it made for some great entertainment during shock and awe. 

1 person likes this

Posted

IMO, we should keep a force of 5-10 thousand there for the foreseeable future in order to forestall any possibility of the Taliban regaining power.  Give them plenty of Airpower and a well fortified base of operations.  But allow the Afghan government to run all other aspects of the country.  If they can keep a relatively stable government for 20-30 years, they might actually have a shot at making it as a country. 

Taliban didn't attack us. We should just make peace and GTFO

Posted

Unfortunately for the Taliban the US can't declare war on one guy, and lets face it "Taliban" is a scary name associated with some ideas Americans find distasteful, populated by scary looking bearded smelly guys carrying russian rifles.

Posted

so either we were attacked by the Tally Ban or AlQ or it was an inside job.

which was it?