#1 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

I am absolutely shocked that no thread has been created for DBs. Although we desperately need weapons and protection on offense, it'd be a little disingenuous to believe that cornerbacks and safeties can't and won't be targeted in the first two rounds. So here are a few names that could be on Carolina's radar:

Darqueze Dennard (Mich. St.) 6'0", 190 lbs

He's a corner is more than willing to come down from his assignment and smack running backs in the mouth. While he likely doesn't possess top-end speed, it's his ability to read offenses and his instincts that makes him a valuable commodity for defenses. 

Kyle Fuller (V-Tech) 6'0", 195 lbs

Virginia Tech seems to always produce solid corners and safeties for the NFL, and Fuller might be the next shutdown corner. Fuller seems to have a grasp on routes as there were moments in 2013 where he outclassed receivers by getting to the ball first.

Jason Verrett (TCU) 5'10", 178 lbs

E.J. Gaines (Mizzou) 5'11", 197 lbs

Jaylen Watkins (Florida) 6'0", 188 lbs

Watkins for the past two seasons has been somewhat of a sleeper for The Gators' defense. After Robertson went down with an injury and a suspension, Jaylen played well above average in his place. He has good size and speed for the position and knows how to properly tackle.

Deone Bucannon (Wash. St.) 6'0", 209 lbs

Aaron Colvin (Oklahoma) 6'0", 180 lbs

Marcus Robertson (Florida) 6'0", 181 lbs

Deion Belue (Alabama) 5'11", 185 lbs

Antone Exum (V-Tech) 6'1", 226 lbs

Exum is a versatile prospect who has played both corner and safety. Despite only playing three games in 2013, his presence was immensely missed. Antone remains a raw talent but worth the risk in the mid-rounds.

Calvin Pryor (Louisville) 6'1", 213 lbs

Dontae Johnson (N.C. State) 6'1", 191 lbs

Rashaad Reynolds (Oregon St.) 5'11", 182 lbs

Andre Hal (Vanderbilt) 6'0", 183 lbs

Terrance Mitchell (Oregon) 6'0" 190 lbs

Keith McGill (Utah) 6'2", 202 lbs

Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma St.) 6'0", 200 lbs

Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix (Alabama) 6'1", 205 lbs

Clinton-Dix is the unanimously the best safety in otherwise a less-than-stellar draft for the position. He's a legitimate playmaker when he's roaming free. He can track the ball fairly well in flight and truck far bigger receivers and tight ends. 

#2 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:19 AM

They will be targeted in the first two rounds, but shouldn't be by us unless other picks go earlier than predicted and we are left with bpa. We need to add some depth here and hopefully find another starter but not as much as needing to help other areas first.

#3 Panthersguru14

Panthersguru14

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

I think jaylen watkins in the 3rd could be a win if we go OT then WR in the first 2 rounds!

#4 DaCityKats

DaCityKats

feed KB 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 8,519 posts
  • LocationDa City

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

I think jaylen watkins in the 3rd could be a win if we go OT then WR in the first 2 rounds!

that is what i was going to say. Jaylen Watkins has started games at CB, and FS for a florida defense that is pretty good. his coverage skills are pretty good, will get a good look at what he can do in 2 weeks at the senior bowl.

other names

Keith McGill Utah

Stanley Jean Baptiste Nebraska

Pierre Desir Lindenwood

Carrington Byndom Texas

the first 3 listed are huge CBs, who will measure in around the 6'1-6'3. they are also middle round guys who can probably come in and start. McGill and Desir have played a lot of zone as well as press man. Baptiste has played some zone, but is mostly a press guy but has over 20 pbu in his only 2 years of playing CB (converted WR).

#5 Camsfanclub

Camsfanclub

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Need a ball hawking/enforcer of a S rather than a CB

#6 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Need a ball hawking/enforcer of a S rather than a CB

The issue there is that there are very few safeties of that caliber this upcoming year. They'll all likely be gone by the time we target a safety in the mid-rounds. Exum (who could fall to us) looks like a decent prospect but he significantly lacks speed.

#7 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

They will be targeted in the first two rounds, but shouldn't be by us unless other picks go earlier than predicted and we are left with bpa. We need to add some depth here and hopefully find another starter but not as much as needing to help other areas first.

I disagree. A defense is a QB's best friend -- ask Kaepernick and Wilson. Corners and Safeties should be on our board in the first two rounds too. For all we know Mitchell, Florence, Mikell and/or Munnerlyn could be gone next year.

#8 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

A defense that is already ranked 2nd. Now I don't want to get complacent, we always need to keep improving all areas but it's obvious where we need to start first.

#9 MtnProwler

MtnProwler

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

Some if not most of those guys you listed will be back. I tend to think that the oline is just as important as a good D.

#10 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Some if not most of those guys you listed will be back. I tend to think that the oline is just as important as a good D.

Over half of them have already declared.

#11 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Without considering the draft situation and just looking at the players and our team, I think Fuller is the best fit for us.  Don't know if we'll be in a good spot to take him but think he'd help round out our defense.  

#12 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:50 PM

We better not draft defense in the first two rounds

#13 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Without considering the draft situation and just looking at the players and our team, I think Fuller is the best fit for us. Don't know if we'll be in a good spot to take him but think he'd help round out our defense.

I think Fuller is the best fit too (along with Dennard). That Alabama game confirmed it for me. He was laying out guys left and right on both defense and special teams. I don't know what 40 time he'll record at the combine but I'll be shocked if it's anything higher than 4.49.

With Ekpre-Olomu going back to college, it's possible Fuller's stock just went up a notch.

#14 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Without considering the draft situation and just looking at the players and our team, I think Fuller is the best fit for us. Don't know if we'll be in a good spot to take him but think he'd help round out our defense.

I think Fuller is the best fit too (along with Dennard). That Alabama game confirmed it for me. He was laying out guys left and right on both defense and special teams. I don't know what 40 time he'll record at the combine but I'll be shocked if it's anything higher than 4.49.

With Ekpre-Olomu going back to college, it's possible Fuller's stock just went up a notch.

#15 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,659 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

We better not draft defense in the first two rounds

BPA

It's not up to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.