96 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

While we have a tremendous need at wide receiver, we also have a tremendous need at offensive line. Let me remind you we played this year with Jordan Gross (contemplating retirement), Travelle Wharton (already retired once), Nate Chandler (practice squad defensive tackle), and Byron Bell (the worst starting o lineman in the league).

The need at receiver is apparent with 2 of our top 3 receivers entering free agency and our #1 turning 35 before the 2014 season. We should draft a receiver, possibly in the 2nd and/or 3rd rounds, but 1st round receivers just don't have enough value. They don't translate into success on the field.

2013 1st round receivers:

Tavon Austin

DeAndre Hopkins

Cordarrelle Patterson

2012:

Justin Blackmon

Kendall Wright

Michael Floyd

AJ Jenkins

2011:

AJ Green

Julio Jones

Jonathan Baldwin

2010:

Demaryius Thomas

Dez Bryant

2009:

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Michael Crabtree

Jeremy Maclin

Percy Harvin

Hakeem Nicks

Kenny Britt

Look at that list and tell me how many receivers you see that are both major contributors and on Super Bowl caliber teams? There's Demaryius Thomas (arguably a byproduct of Peyton Manning) and Michael Crabtree. The rests are busts or are on teams on a downward trajectory. 

Meanwhile, of the four teams left in contention, there are EIGHT players that were selected to the Pro Bowl either this year or last year. 5 were drafted in the 1st round, 2 in the 2nd, 1 in the 3rd. Curious how many Pro Bowl receivers there are? ONE amongst the 4 teams: Demaryius Thomas and who knows what he is without Peyton Manning. Seattle's best receiver this year has been Golden Tate; New England's has been Julian Edelman.

So we should go o line like the best teams do. Having a better offensive line will allow Cam more time on the deep balls and will open back up running lanes for the backs. I like Amini Silatolu and Garry Williams, but they're not at the level of player we need to rebuild this thing.

Thoughts?

#2 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Oops meant to put this in the Draft section.

#3 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

is it that time of year yet where any and all reasonable draft discussion is replaced by the pseudointellectual "WE GO BPA" retort spammed across all nine mythical Huddle subforums

#4 MeatSoda

MeatSoda

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

AJ Green

Julio Jones

There's Demaryius Thomas (arguably a byproduct of Peyton Manning) and Michael Crabtree. The rests are busts or are on teams on a downward trajectory. 

Huh? I get that the Bengals or Falcons aren't playing for a Super Bowl this year, but my god, AJ Green and Julio Jones aren't reasons why. This is idiotic.

#5 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,299 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Oops meant to put this in the Draft section.

done

#6 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

I look at that WR list and think other than AJ Jenkins and J. Baldwin, they would all be big upgrades.  

It just depends who's available when we pick but I'm on the WRx2 train.  

#7 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

i agree, i think we can get a starting caliber FA wr that will make a bigger impact than a rookie

#8 mav1234

mav1234

• HUDDLER
  • 16,612 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

wrx2 imo.

#9 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,299 posts

first three rounds should be some combo of WR/OT/TE or WR/OT/OG

#10 Swaggasaurus

Swaggasaurus

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro

I think you go BPA between WR, DB, OL. You are overthinking this one. How do the OT's break down? Probably not much better.

#11 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

It comes down to identity, if we want to be a power running team, get the road graders...If not...

#12 jtm

jtm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

That looks like a pretty strong list of receivers to me.

#13 Archimedes

Archimedes

NOT NEWB

• HUDDLER
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

With Gross nearing the end of his career, and a big need for an upgrade at the other tackle position, it's probably where we need the most help.  It's also a pretty good draft in terms of Oline depth, there are about 6-8 guys that project as 1st rounders.

#14 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

i agree, i think we can get a starting caliber FA wr that will make a bigger impact than a rookie

No No No No.

We are not doing this again. We are one day into the offseason and people are already manufacturing excuses for why we only have to invest the bare minimum at the WR position.

It isnt time. Its past time. It was time years ago.

The ONLY reasonable pursuit to make at the WR position this year is BOTH a notable free agent AND a high end draft pick. We are not letting this pass us by again. It is time to double down. At any cost, we have a formidable corp next year.

#15 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

first three rounds should be some combo of WR/OT/TE or WR/OT/OG

Neither OG nor TE are more pressing than a CB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com