Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Priority Number 1 - Offensive Line

163 posts in this topic

Posted

Upgrading our OL can only help so much if we are still relying on a 35 year old 5 foot 9 receiver to help carry our offense.

i dont think that just because we get a lineman in FA means we cant get a wr in the draft.  we definitely need to try and get talent from both pools, and it's fairly obvious we will since we now have 21 guys not under contract

Posted

Quarterback can't get the ball to a receiver if he's on his back.

Add in that we need the real threat of a run game for the whole thing to work.  Right now, we haven't got it.

Even average skill players look a whole lot better when there's someone god blocking for them.

1 person likes this

Posted

i dont think that just because we get a lineman in FA means we cant get a wr in the draft.  we definitely need to try and get talent from both pools, and it's fairly obvious we will since we now have 21 guys not under contract

I'm not saying we can't upgrade both, we certainly can, it won't be easy though.

One thing I do know, is that I am tired of us either pretending it isn't a need, or failing miserably at acquiring a legitimate threat at WR.

Posted

We need Watkins or an elite WR this is more important than o line especially having Kugbila and Silatolu coming back. We can afford to wait on o line not on WR though

Posted

Bottom line:

A good O-line is much better than a good WR core. You dont need an great/elite WRs to win in this league but you need a great/elite O line to be great. 

Tom brady won all his super bowls with #2 and #3 guys. Wilson doesnt really have a #1 guy either. Something I noticed about the patriots continued success is their very good O-line. That is something they have never compromised. 

The O-line is the extension of the QB and RB. Alot of times your QB and RB is only as good as the O-line. The QB/RB won't reach their full potential without the OL holding up and doing a good job. They are a key component of every play much like the QB. The WR core doesn't have same impact as the OL. You use the OL all the time in pass and RUN. 

Posted

The answer is already on the roster

Dumbest post of the year... At g possibly at T what are you smoking?

Posted

Just want to throw out that the wide receiver position is hella deep this year.  Not saying that we shouldn't draft one in the first (I think we should) but we could also get one later as well.  I think we could definitely double dip too.

The problem with the being so concerned with the offensive line is that the secondary is just as much a liability if not more.  Munnerlyn, Mikel, Florence and Mitchell are all free agents.  It will have to be completely rebuilt (and needs to be) because I ultimately think that cost us the game more than anything else.  

Posted

Unless the team brings back the sub par unit from last season or makes a splash in FA, their going to have to triple dip into the WR pool in the draft. 

Except for Ginn who's a 3rd or 4th option and KR/PR there isn't a player from the team last year worth bringing back again.

There was plenty of examples where the line blocked well enough but none of the WR's could get open, it happened quite a few times in the SF game.  

Posted

We say next year every year

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

You don't think signing Nicks and drafting a mid round wr would address the wr position?

Posted

Dumbest post of the year... At g possibly at T what are you smoking?

Actually you just made the dumbest post of the year for not detecting my sarcasm.

Posted

NE invested in the left side and coaches up the right. Protect your star QB.

N.Solder (LT) - 1st rounder (pick 17)

L.Mankins(LG) - 1st rounder (pick 32)

R.Wendell © - UDFA

D. Connolly (RG) - UDFA (Jags)

M.Cannon (RT) - 5th rounder (pick 138)

I don't believe eye-popping stat Brady appeared until he got weapons (he averaged ~25TDs / season prior to 2007). Then he has had Moss/Welker/Hernandez/Gronk/Amendola/etc.....

Posted

You don't think signing Nicks and drafting a mid round wr would address the wr position?

They would only have 3 WR's at that point and not have a sure fire #1 guy. So No that wouldn't be close to taking care of WR. They need to get at least 4 in the draft or FA. Bring back Ginn and the team still needs 3 wr somewhere. The team has no young talent at WR and needs a big time talent infusion. 

Considering that there isn't going to be a OT worthy of the 28th pick the most likely place the team goes is WR or CB.