Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybodyhome

"True Detective" HBO Premier

181 posts in this topic

My take, copy and pasted from elsewhere :cool: :

I like the way they wrapped it up. Good versus evil is an eternal battle, and although evil continues, they did their part. Evil may have more territory to hide, but good ultimately wins out. Smart, well-written, and a totally realized work.

Only
thing I still question is what happened in Carcosa? Was that the scarred man talking to him? And what did Rust see right before he was attacked? I'm guessing that was the confrontation with true evil?

2 people like this

My take, copy and pasted from elsewhere :cool: :

I like the way they wrapped it up. Good versus evil is an eternal battle, and although evil continues, they did their part. Evil may have more territory to hide, but good ultimately wins out. Smart, well-written, and a totally realized work.

Only thing I still question is what happened in Carcosa? Was that the scarred man talking to him? And what did Rust see right before he was attacked? I'm guessing that was the confrontation with true evil?

Minor Spoiler alert!!

Good questions..I think Rust's vision was partly drugs, partly fear-adreneline induced and also in a sense, a cosmic destiny or this moment is what his significance is" symbolically.

Unresolved for me:

I swore that Marty's daughter, who had the sexual drawings and reenactments with her barbies early on was going to be tied to some exposure to the Yellow King or his cult somehow. Since he worked at the schools.

Marty also said In his interviews that the evidence was right in front of him..calling it the detective's curse. I guess the whole point of that was to show he was not at home and his girl was crying for his attention.

Minor Spoiler alert!!

Good questions..I think Rust's vision was partly drugs, partly fear-adreneline induced and also in a sense, a cosmic destiny or this moment is what his significance is" symbolically.

Unresolved for me:

I swore that Marty's daughter, who had the sexual drawings and reenactments with her barbies early on was going to be tied to some exposure to the Yellow King or his cult somehow. Since he worked at the schools.

Marty also said In his interviews that the evidence was right in front of him..calling it the detective's curse. I guess the whole point of that was to show he was not at home and his girl was crying for his attention.

Yeah the whole Marty's family possible story never showed up.

Fine by me. Last episode was great

1 person likes this

I may try and have some more detailed thoughts and discussion later on when I digest it all, but the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that I loved it. One of, if not the best, 8 hours of television I've ever seen.

"If you ask me, light's winning." Awesome ending line for Rust. 

Great stuff.

It's amazing how pathetic Network TV is, and how fantastic the stuff HBO and Showtime produces is.

1 person likes this

I'm so confused. So I know that the lawnmower guy was a serial killer but was he a cult leader too?

I'm so confused. So I know that the lawnmower guy was a serial killer but was he a cult leader too?

No, that was the point of Rust saying that

SPOILER ALERT

they didn't get them all.  The Tuttles are still out there, and IMO, they are the cult leaders.

No, that was the point of Rust saying that

SPOILER ALERT

they didn't get them all.  The Tuttles are still out there, and IMO, they are the cult leaders.

Yeah but then Hart said that but they DID get their guy so you could interpret that as they got the head of the cult but not all of the members. I agree with your assessment though. It's a shame they won't make a second season of the pair going after the Tuttles.

Yeah but then Hart said that but they DID get their guy so you could interpret that as they got the head of the cult but not all of the members. I agree with your assessment though. It's a shame they won't make a second season of the pair going after the Tuttles.

Hart was referring to the murderer of Dora Lange, not the leader of the cult.  The rest of the conspiracy/cult was just a side issue that was related to their case, but not their case.

That would go against what Nic Pizzolatto said they were trying to do with a show. They wanted a beginning and an end and for it to not drag on.

Finally watched this morning after spending 2.5 hours last night fighting HBO Go.

Great finale. Some classic lines as always. "He cut me pretty good Marty." Lol

I can't wait to go back and rewatch later today to see what I missed.

I sure wouldn't mind if all parties involved revisited these characters a few years down the road...