Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybodyhome

"True Detective" HBO Premier

181 posts in this topic

I saw the first episode last night. Does it pick up from there, or is that pretty much the tempo you can expect throughout the series?

I saw the first episode last night. Does it pick up from there, or is that pretty much the tempo you can expect throughout the series?

I mean yeah the tempo picks up. If you are debating on if you should watch the remaining seven episodes, just do it. And don't read this thread until you've finished.

11 million people were not watching this series each week because it was boring.

Totally worth the hbo subscription even if you cancel after watching this show. Strongly recommend.

To answer the question above, yes it picks up. Episode 4 features camera work that could possibly rival the opening scene of saving private ryan. My opinion of course. You will not be disappointed.

1 person likes this

I saw the first episode last night. Does it pick up from there, or is that pretty much the tempo you can expect throughout the series?

Yes, it really picks up.  Just be ready to think, and only watch when you can focus solely on the show...otherwise you will get lost.

Don't watch it....I mean really. cmon

Loved the ending, really well paced finale. Liked the fact that they didn't go the 'over the top route' and kept it really satisfying. If that really is the last of Rust and Marty, it was a great note to go out on. The end dialogue and the scene with Marty and his family really sum up the characters and who they really arehave become.

I recommend the show to everyone. The acting, cinematography and story are all amazing.

I absolutely adored this show, but to me, the chasing the bad guy through a scary maze and then fighting to the death was too formulaic for my tastes, especially for a show that eschewed convention for 7+ episodes.

1 person likes this

I absolutely adored this show, but to me, the chasing the bad guy through a scary maze and then fighting to the death was too formulaic for my tastes, especially for a show that eschewed convention for 7+ episodes.

I kind of agree with you. It reminded me of the ending of Silence of the Lambs which wasn't bad, but I was just wanting something else from TD.  I just read through this and was surprised everyone liked it so much. After a couple of days, I am fine with the ending but my initial reaction was very luke warm. A couple of guys I work with that were so into TD (as everyone was) still hate the way it ended.

The part that I don't really care for is that throughout the whole show there were so many different nuiances that were never wrapped up. Maybe that is because the didn't get them all but I honestly was hoping for more from the last episode. What was I hoping for I have no idea really but that wasn't it.

Perhaps those nuances were just coincidence. Our need for everything to make sense leads us down one path and we feel cheated when things just happen for no reason.

Umbrella Man

2 people like this

Great read from Film Crit Hulk. (he writes in all caps, he is the Hulk after all)

http://badassdigest.com/2014/03/10/the-genius-of-true-detective-its-just-one-story/

BOTH THE WHOLE "DEEP THEMATIC INTEREST" STUFF, AS WELL AS THE AMAZING EXECUTION OF IT, HAS TURNED THE FIRST SEASON OF TRUE DETECTIVE INTO ONE OF HULK'S FAVORITE BITS OF NARRATIVE ON THE PLANET. HULK WAS KIND OF GOING NUTS ABOUT THIS SHOW FROM THE PILOT, SENSING WHAT THEY WERE REALLY GOING TO DO IT EVEN THEN. BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS ABOUT THIS GRANDER PURPOSE. DETAILS WERE NEVER JUST DETAILS. THEY WERE ABOUT THE GRANDER PLACEMENT OF THESE MOMENTS IN A LARGER STORY. NOT JUST THE DETAILS OF 1995 OR 2002 OR 2014, BUT THE DETAILS OF A STORY AS OLD AS TIME. WHICH MEANS THE DETAILS OF MARTY'S DAUGHTER AND THE IMPLICATION OF THE SEXUAL MEN DOING BAD THINGS TO HER WERE NOT SO MUCH A CLUE, BUT NOR WERE THEY A RED HERRING. IT WAS A DETAIL ABOUT A LARGER STORY. SAME GOES FOR MARTY'S AFFAIRS OR RUST'S TRAGIC LOSS, BOTH JUST OUR INABILITIES TO CREATE BRIDGES WITH OTHERS. NO, IT IS ALL PART OF THE FOREVER STORY BETWEEN MEN AND WOMEN AND YOUNG GIRLS AND SEXUAL IMPULSES AND UNFAIR EXPECTATIONS AND EVIL ACTS, ALL WITHIN ARMS REACH, ALL LEADING TO THE MENTAL BARRIERS WE CREATE TO PRETEND THEY ARE NOT SO CLOSE. NO, WE SEPARATE THE STORIES OF OUR FAMILIES FROM THE ACTIONS OF A PSYCHOPATHIC MURDER. WE TELL OURSELVES THAT THESE THINGS ARE FAR OFF, SOMEWHERE DISTANT, SOMEWHERE ABSTRACT, WHEN REALLY THEY ARE STARING AT US FROM THE WOODS CLOSE BY, OR EVEN STARING BACK AT US IN OUR FAMILY'S EYES.

IT IS NOT A STORY OF WHICH DETAILS WERE OF CONSEQUENCE AND WHICH WERE NOT.

... INSTEAD, EVERY DETAIL WAS ACTUALLY PART OF THE SAME THING.

1 person likes this

Perhaps those nuances were just coincidence. Our need for everything to make sense leads us down one path and we feel cheated when things just happen for no reason.

Umbrella Man

yeah yeah yeah....my GF said the same thing. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Here is my in depth, well thought out summary:

I guess the whole thing was basically a story about people who tell stories in there lives to cover up the reality that they don't want to face with a bit of an anti religious, anti pop culture undertone mixed in. Oh, and a happy ending thrown in for good measure because I think most people weren't expecting that not that Pizzolato was going for a "surprise" at all.   

The End

Bring on season 2......which will most likely feature women detectives.