Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Florio comments

52 posts in this topic

Posted

Last I checked, the team's front office gets to decide who their franchise QB is or will be.

In the case of the Panthers, Mr. G said Cam is the franchise QB, therefore he is. Regardless of what Florio or any other dumbass may say.

Posted

So is Andy dalton and Matt Ryan not franchise qb's either?

I would actually agree with that statement, and I can say so objectively.

I'd throw Tony Romo in there too.

Posted

That's a really shortsighted way of defining a franchise QB (and that's a nice way to say it).

It's kind of like "MVP".  Is it the best player or the most valuable player?

Yeah, the whole Franchise QB label is kind of BS, subjective, and pretty much irrelevant. When I hear the term "Franchise QB" only 3 names come to mind.  

Brady

P Manning

and maybe Aaron Rodgers.

No Drew Brees?

Eli?  Flacco?  Cutler?

(not saying they are, just asking your thoughts)

Posted

Just said he is not yet a "franchise QB" in his opinion because he hasn't won yet in the playoffs. Said two things make a franchise QB, how much they are paid and how much they win in the post season.

LOL, so when Cam does when a playoff game where will Florio move the goalposts? 

Posted

Who cares what Mike Florio's made up definition of a franchise QB is.  The only person's opinions that matter are Gettleman and Richardson.  They've decided he's a franchise QB.  Go F yourself Florio.

Posted

It's kind of like "MVP".  Is it the best player or the most valuable player?

No Drew Brees?

Eli?  Flacco?  Cutler?

(not saying they are, just asking your thoughts)

He didn't come to mind but as McNasty said...Brees would probably fall in with Aaron Rodgers for me. Eli, Flacco, Cutler I just don't consider franchise QB's but I surely can see why some people would think so.

Give me a QB that no matter what is going on around him, injuries, bad coaching, drama, etc....you just know that 90% of the time they will consistantly put their team on their back and carry that franchise  to the playoffs year after year.

P Manning and Tom Terrific will do just that.

Rodgers and Brees are capable of doing that.

Just my subjective high stadard view of a true franchise QB

and oh yeah.....Nick Foles also. :thumbsu:

Posted

I disagree on his definition a little, as it implies that all these young QBs getting TO the playoffs are not franchise QBs because they aren't all winning, and I disagree with that.  I think young QBs in their first contract can be franchise QBs by demonstrating consistent success with the ball... Franchise QBs are QBs you build around IMO

Posted

He didn't come to mind but as McNasty said...Brees would probably fall in with Aaron Rodgers for me. Eli, Flacco, Cutler I just don't consider franchise QB's but I surely can see why some people would think so.

Give me a QB that no matter what is going on around him, injuries, bad coaching, drama, etc....you just know that 90% of the time they will consistantly put their team on their back and carry that franchise  to the playoffs year after year.

I think your definition and my definition of a FQB is completely different.

Yours seems to be based solely on performance, whereas I look at it based on who the team is building/built around.

Take Eli for instance...  he has gotten it done, but aside from that, no way the Giants would dump him for another QB (say a rookie to draft) and bring that guy in to start immediately.

Eli, Ben, Flacco, Cutler (now with the new contract), Stafford, Cam, Ryan, Brees, Luck, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers all qualify to me.

Dalton is close, Wilson and Kaepernick are not far off either...

Posted

That's a good definition.

Saw the Nick Foles reference coming :lol:

Of the three guys I added, Eli is the only one I could conceivably see calling a franchise QB, but if it came down to having to say yes or no I'd lean 'no'.  He does have two Super Bowl rings though, and played well in both games.

Here's another name for the mix: Philip Rivers.

Posted

Yours seems to be based solely on performance, whereas I look at it based on who the team is building/built around.

Take Eli for instance...  he has gotten it done, but aside from that, no way the Giants would dump him for another QB (say a rookie to draft) and bring that guy in to start immediately.

Eli, Ben, Flacco, Cutler (now with the new contract), Stafford, Cam, Ryan, Brees, Luck, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers all qualify to me.

Gotta disagree here, Biscuit.  I don't think Dalton and Kaepernick are close at all, particularly Dalton.

I'd also be hesitant to say Luck could be called that after only two years.  I gotta see what he does next season.

Stafford and Roethlisberger?  Both overrated.

And hey, how'd ya leave RG3 out of your discussion? :lol:

Posted

Gotta disagree here, Biscuit.  I don't think Dalton and Kaepernick are close at all, particularly Dalton.

I'd also be hesitant to say Luck could be called that after only two years.  I gotta see what he does next season.

Stafford and Roethlisberger?  Both overrated.

And hey, how'd ya leave RG3 out of your discussion? :lol:

Dalton is questionable I agree... Kaep isn't there yet, but he will be I thnk.

RGIII probably fits, they're not dumping him.  You think there's any chance, say in the next 3 years, that Indy will give up on Luck (barring injury of course)?

Stafford overrated, yes.  Ben... hard to argue with two rings.  But this isn't about their performance to me... being a franchise QB is about exactly that, what they mean to their franchise.

Posted

I can 100% see that point of view and wouldn't argue against it for a second. It's all very subjective and I think most people probably see it the way you do.

1 person likes this