Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Florio comments

52 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Peyton Manning has some sort of record for playoff one and done's.

No franchise.

Posted

Gotta disagree here, Biscuit.  I don't think Dalton and Kaepernick are close at all, particularly Dalton.

I'd also be hesitant to say Luck could be called that after only two years.  I gotta see what he does next season.

Stafford and Roethlisberger?  Both overrated.

And hey, how'd ya leave RG3 out of your discussion? :lol:

Big Ben intrigues me because I think that there are just as many people that underrate him as there are that overrate him.

And unless Dalton pulls a rabbit out of his a$$ next year, his days in Cincy most likely will be done and Marvin Lewis should go with him.  

Posted

Dalton is questionable I agree... Kaep isn't there yet, but he will be I thnk.

RGIII probably fits, they're not dumping him.  You think there's any chance, say in the next 3 years, that Indy will give up on Luck (barring injury of course)?

Stafford overrated, yes.  Ben... hard to argue with two rings.  But this isn't about their performance to me... being a franchise QB is about exactly that, what they mean to their franchise.

I dont think Kaepernick will ever get past being a one read quarterback.  It doesn't even seem like they're trying.  The Niners apparently would just rather scheme around it.

I don't think RG3 lasts long enough to be a franchise QB.  He's just too frail.

Indy give up on Luck/  Seriously doubt it.  I think he'll prove to be a franchise QB, but realistically he's not there yet.

As to Big Ben, the Steelers scheme has masked his issues in the past, but I think that's broken down now.  His biggest positive is that he can extend plays because he's big and tough to tackle.  But a great QB?  No.  Two rings in three Super Bowls yes, but only one decent performance.  He looked mediocre in the first one and awful in the last one.

Posted

Big Ben intrigues me because I think that there are just as many people that underrate him as there are that overrate him.

And unless Dalton pulls a rabbit out of his a$$ next year, his days in Cincy most likely will be done and Marvin Lewis should go with him.  

i wonder how long Lewis survives without Zimmer running his defense.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Lewis and Dalton exit Cincy in a few years.

Posted

I dont think Kaepernick will ever get past being a one read quarterback.  It doesn't even seem like they're trying.  The Niners apparently would just rather scheme around it.

I don't think RG3 lasts long enough to be a franchise QB.  He's just too frail.

Indy give up on Luck/  Seriously doubt it.  I think he'll prove to be a franchise QB, but realistically he's not there yet.

As to Big Ben, the Steelers scheme has masked his issues in the past, but I think that's broken down now.  His biggest positive is that he can extend plays because he's big and tough to tackle.  But a great QB?  No.  Two rings in three Super Bowls yes, but only one decent performance.  He looked mediocre in the first one and awful in the last one.

Again, I think we're looking at this completely differently and will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not arguing with you about their performances, I'm saying that being a FQB doesn't really rely on that very much.  It's more about what the franchises have invested in them.  RGIII is a good example... you're exactly right he's not going to last, but with the draft picks they gave up, until and unless he does get hurt really bad, they're sticking with him.  Same with all those I listed.

Obviously if the performance falls way off, then the franchise would have to do something, but which of those QBs I've listed has fallen way off?  Eli sucked ass this year... Giants aren't getting rid of him.

Posted

i wonder how long Lewis survives without Zimmer running his defense.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Lewis and Dalton exit Cincy in a few years.

A few years?

Pretty sure Dalton and Lewis' contracts are up at the end of 2014 aren't they? Perfect time to part ways epsecially since Mike Brown is so cheap and wouldn't want to fire Lewis and still have to pay him.

I think Dalton and Lewis are 2 lame ducks going into next year and it won't end well for either.

Posted

Again, I think we're looking at this completely differently and will have to agree to disagree.

I'm not arguing with you about their performances, I'm saying that being a FQB doesn't really rely on that very much.  It's more about what the franchises have invested in them.  RGIII is a good example... you're exactly right he's not going to last, but with the draft picks they gave up, until and unless he does get hurt really bad, they're sticking with him.  Same with all those I listed.

Obviously if the performance falls way off, then the franchise would have to do something, but which of those QBs I've listed has fallen way off?  Eli sucked ass this year... Giants aren't getting rid of him.

Agree that we define it differently. 

My definition is closer to JRs.

A few years?

Pretty sure Dalton and Lweis' contracts are up at the end of this year aren't they? Perfect time to part ways epsecially since Mike Brown is so cheap and wouldn't want to fire Lewis and still have to pay him.

I think Dalton and Lewis are 2 lame ducks going into next year and it won't end well for either.

I hadn't looked, but if that's so then yeah.  I could absolutely see that.

Side Note: On top of being a penny-pincher, Brown is a football moron.  His dad's football smarts definitely didn't get handed down to him.

Posted

Agree that we define it differently. 

My definition is closer to JRs.

I hadn't looked, but if that's so then yeah.  I could absolutely see that.

Side Note: On top of being a penny-pincher, Brown is a football moron.

No Zimmer + Lame duck QB and Head Coach + Mike Brown being Mike Brown = Implosion

It's a shame because the Bengals have some really good pieces on that team. More talent on that team than 95% of the league.

Posted

No Zimmer + Lame duck QB and Head Coach + Mike Brown being Mike Brown = Implosion

It's a shame because the Bengals have some really good pieces on that team. More talent on that team than 95% of the league.

Although I've never been a big fan of Lewis's tenure there, I do have to give him some credit on one front.  Winning with Mike Brown in charge is some tough sledding, borderline miraculous.

1 person likes this

Posted

What makes a franchise QB? The owner, GM and coaching staff and his team mates all having the confidence that the guy can get the job done, which is to lead them to the playoffs consistently and win some super bowls. And, note, this is usually done via a nice big long term contract (which is why I added owner and GM to the list). Period.

Posted

What makes a franchise QB? The owner, GM and coaching staff and his team mates all having the confidence that the guy can get the job done, which is to lead them to the playoffs consistently and win some super bowls. And, note, this is usually done via a nice big long term contract (which is why I added owner and GM to the list). Period.

If that truely is the definition of a frachise QB then Jake Delhomme was the Panthers first franchise QB. He was under contract with the Panthers that ran through the end of next season.

1 person likes this

Posted

Franchise QB is such a subjective term though. It's not black or white. Actually, maybe it is black or white in the eyes of some.....

Discuss

****runs for the hills*****

RG3 and Luck were Franchise QBs last year because they made the playoffs. Now Cams not because he didnt win? Guess next year if he does not win a SB that will be the excuse.

1 person likes this