Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

h0llywood

2014 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread

122 posts in this topic

A heads up to all Dodger fans. Feb 25 the new Dodger channel debuts and is the home for all Dodger broadcasts.

The rights are owned by TWC due to thei multi-billion deal with the Dodgers.

With the blessing of Major League Baseball, the Dodgers are about to launch a publicity push for their new SportsNet LA channel.

The new television home is set to debut Feb. 25, the day before the Dodgers open their Cactus League schedule. SportsNet LA plans to air all of the team’s spring training games, Dodgers President Stan Kasten said.

The channel also will air every regular-season game (except those selected for national Fox or ESPN broadcasts) and programs featuring player profiles and behind-the-scenes activities. Although SportsNet LA does not carry the Dodgers name, Kasten said there are no plans for other sports -- or any other programming -- on the channel.

“For the first time ever, there is going to be a Dodger-only channel with Dodger-only content 24-7,” he said.

Whether fans will be able to see that channel on Feb. 25 -- or when the Dodgers open the season in Australia on March 22 -- could be an ongoing story over the next two months. The Dodgers’ partner, Time Warner Cable, is responsible for securing deals to make the channel available on cable and satellite systems besides the ones operated by TWC.

As with the launch of almost all new sports channels, cable and satellite operators are expected to object to the cost of SportsNet LA -- expected to be about $5 per month, per subscriber. Negotiations are expected to start in earnest shortly, with deals most likely just before or just after opening day.

“We want every home to have access to this Dodger channel all the time,” Kasten said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-time-warner-cable-mlb-tv-deal-20140115,0,5374663.story#ixzz2qmoL6Uv4

Currently, Dish Network (my provider) does not own broadcast rights to this channel. I've already lost Laker broadcasts due to the failure of Dish to gain those rights. If the Dodgers broadcast rights aren't secured I will be switching to Direct asap assuming they acquire Dodger rights in addition to the Laker rights they already have.

Good luck.

9079152.gif

yeah...

I'm good with Tanaka going to the Yankees, especially at 7yr/155mil.

Dodgers need to start working on their bench strength as they lost some key contributors already in Punto and Co.

Dodgers signed Chone Figgins to a Minor League deal today but I hope they do better than that soon.

Paul Maholm 1yr 1.5mill. Not bad...not bad at all...

Something has to give with Andre Ethier, The Dodgers have shopped Kemp and there simply isn't enough playing time for a Crawford/Kemp/Ethier/Puig outfield.

Only Puig is untouchable right now.

BTW, I like your lineup position potentially there but swap Kemp and Gonzales.

Mattingly, fug we signed him long term but nothing pisses me off more than when he hits Puig in the 5 spot behind Gonzales. 

Fricking Mattingly had Puig in the 5 spot all through the Playoffs and Puig can't utilize his speed and aggressiveness waiting for Gonzales who is about as slow as a sloth running the bases.

Pull your head out Skip.

It appears Mattingly may finally be pulling his head out of his ass and putting Puig at the top of the lineup.

About time there Skipper.

According to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, manager Don Mattingly indicated over the weekend that the plan will likely include making Puig their new full-time leadoff hitter.

Mattingly said by switching Puig and last year's leadoff hitter, lefty-swinging 
, in the order, it would provide better righty-lefty balance, with right-handed hitter 
 batting third and left-handed hitter 
 batting fourth.

But it also would be a nod to the reality that the 23-year-old Puig is more dynamic offensively than the 32-year-old Crawford, whose baserunning was hampered by hamstring problems throughout the 2013 season.

It's an interesting idea on paper. Puig's .391 on-base percentage last year was 60 points higher than Crawford's, so he certainly appears to better fit the profile of a leadoff man at this stage in both of their careers. In fact, Crawford has always performed better as a No. 2 batter anyway, hitting .300/.342/.458 in 753 more plate appearance from that spot in the order.

His RBI opportunities will go down but I see his OBP getting better.

1 person likes this

Paul Maholm 1yr 1.5mill. Not bad...not bad at all...

Is he going in the pen? He is very inconsistent as a starter.

I'm very excited for this season. There's an air that's been missing from previous seasons.