Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Star and Short wear down?

46 posts in this topic

Posted

Steve Smith said on radio a while back that corner Melvin White hit the "rookie wall" pretty hard.  Even so, Smitty praised White as a hard worker and a student of the game and predicted he'll be better next year.

I'm wondering if anyone thinks that our top draft picks, Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short, might have had a little of that "rookie wall" themselves late in the season.

What say you?

Posted

Not really.  Gettleman even commented that KK had really come on strong to end the season. 

Posted

Those guys were balling pretty much the entire season.

Posted

They probably arent used to the grind but they still played really really well.

Posted

No. White played more snaps than them, so that's definitely a factor. Star and Short were fresh for the 49ers game. Short had a good game but went unnoticed. Star was also good as well.

Posted

There doesn't seem to be anything statistically to suggest they did. Short if anything came on stronger in terms of productivity.

Posted

When he was in college, Star had a rep for being dominant early in games and tailing off later.  Panther coaches blamed that on him playing too heavy (said the same with Short if I remember right).

Any evidence of this now?

Posted

I think they weard up

Sent from my SCH-I545 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Posted

No. White played more snaps than them, so that's definitely a factor. Star and Short were fresh for the 49ers game. Short had a good game but went unnoticed. Star was also good as well.

Its hard to believe that an UDFA played more snaps this year than a 1st rd pick. Someone in the scouting dept deserves a raise.

Posted

more often than not, it seemed like our front 7 got better as the game went along

2 people like this

Posted

Its hard to believe that an UDFA played more snaps this year than a 1st rd pick. Someone in the scouting dept deserves a raise.

Not when you consider the positions they play. You don't usually rotate corner back. You very typically rotate defensive tackles.

1 person likes this

Posted

I would think the wall hit them