#31 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,826 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

This is fuggin confusing! Everyone knows but does anybody actually have it in black and white lawful written writing!

It really isn't that confusing.  Here is how it works:

There are two types of franchise tag designations: the exclusive rights franchise tag, and non-exclusive rights franchise tag:

• An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams. The player's team has all the negotiating rights to the exclusive player.
  • A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position for the previous year, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.
  • Under the Capped years a team can designate one additional player only as a transitional tag. A transition player must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's prior year's salary, whichever is greater. A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

#32 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:56 PM

I seriously doubt Oakland would give up their 1st round pick for Hardy. Maybe their 2nd. Another option would be to give them Hardy and swap 1st rounders with them.

I'd be happy with a high 2nd rounder for him. I don't really see any top-10 team giving up a 1st and the huge contract for Hardy. Maybe a team in the mid-late 1st, but there don't appear to be any obvious fits.

#33 TheJason

TheJason

Black & Blue in The Bay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationLivermore

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

There is zero likeliness that the Raiders trade their draft pick at 5 For Hardy.

There 2nd and maybe a future 2nd? Sure.

#34 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,773 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

Minnesota

Stafford, Rodgers, Cutler

They need a pass rusher for sure

#35 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I would be shocked if we got anybody to pony up a 1st for Hardy. 

#36 MrBubba

MrBubba

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

No one is giving up a top of round one pick for Hardy. Oakland or Jag's might go for second rounder; but no way is Oakland giving up #5 for Hardy.

#37 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

No one is giving up a top of round one pick for Hardy. Oakland or Jag's might go for second rounder; but no way is Oakland giving up #5 for Hardy.

Probably right. Al Davis died. Damn

#38 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

If we do a non-exclusive and no offers from other teams come to Hardy, we're basically paying him the same of what he'd earn a year under a new contract (likely 2-3 mil less) so I'm with the non-exclusive franchise if we go the franchise route.   

#39 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

But if we tag him we are hit in cap space by the tag price which is 10mil for a DE right?

until he was traded, which is what's being discussed here.

then the team he was traded to could work out a long term deal and lower their respective cap hit.

#40 Growl

Growl

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

I would be shocked if we got anybody to pony up a 1st for Hardy.

Agreed, but I dont think that a package deal of our first and Hardy is out of the realm of possibility for moving up somewhat considerably.

i dont know which teams we find desirable and their respective cap or roster situation though, which would be the most crucial element of postulating this.

#41 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Raiders can get clowney on a rookie deal and save the money for other positions so it could rule them out, I would be tempted to swap first round order though and maybe a second rounder so we pick at five they go 28th and we nab there second

#42 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

The problem is Hardy would essentially control where he's traded through his agent by indicating whether or not he would be willing to sign long term with the trade partner. 

So the real question is: Who would Hardy and Rosenhaus most likely approve as a trade partner? 

#43 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

http://www.nfl.com/n...or-all-32-teams

This is a breakdown of teams needs in the draft. Only viable option there is Cowboys who have a hell of a cap problem than us or Vikings and Minnesota is going to go qb now doubt, no way hardy will entertain playing for the titans or the jags

#44 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

http://www.cincyjung...eed-for-bengals

Perfect fit right here for hardy! Sounds most logical because of there glaring need and they are pretty well covered in key positions so there needs won't be a reach like most teams in the first round. I'd take there 24th anyone agree?

#45 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Chicago Bears.  Peppers will be cut and Wooton is a FA and they have a mid 1st rounder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com