Photo
- - - - -

Franchise Tag rules explained (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 Goondal

Goondal

The Goon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSafety Harbor, FL
HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:00 PM

So if a team has already traded their first round pick we would get the pick from the following two seasons, yes?

I think I prefer non-exclusive.  Not only is it cheaper but if he went elsewhere we would get two first round picks for him, which is probably more than we could get otherwise.

#12 panthers34

panthers34

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:04 PM

please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that it was not a definitive 2 first rounders if we trade hardy away. we could work out a deal so that the other team doesn't forfeit two first rounders for one player, possibly a first and second, or even a first and third. is this only the case with Restricted free agents, and if so, why is it that hardy is not a RFA this offseason since his first contract with the team just expired. 

I think you can offer the player up for any draft pick you want, so I think you can just offer a first rounder and nothing else on top of it to increase the chance of another team going after the player

#13 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

So if a team has already traded their first round pick we would get the pick from the following two seasons, yes?

So far as I can tell, it absolutely has to be the two drafts following the trade. The rules aren't very clear on whether or not a team without a first round pick in the next draft would be barred from entering negotiations. It could be that the team only has to give up the next two first rounders it has original rights to, or it could be that if a team does not have original rights to its next two consecutive first round picks at the time of the deal then they can't deal. So, this could mean that Washington and Indy can't talk to Hardy until after this year's draft, or it means those teams have to be willing to give up an even greater piece of their future than they already have in order to do so.

#14 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

I think you can offer the player up for any draft pick you want, so I think you can just offer a first rounder and nothing else on top of it to increase the chance of another team going after the player

Don't know how to make this any more clear: If the player is tagged with the non-exclusive tag, it's two first rounders with no negotiating. There can be negotiations after that deal, but the offering team has to give up its next two consecutive original first round draft picks. If it's the exclusive tag, then the offer of picks can be whatever the teams agree on, but it's unlikely any team would enter that deal because the money is greater and there's no guarantee of a long term deal.

#15 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

you missed transition tag

blaaaaaarg

Meant to edit earlier. Better?

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

meh....there's more to it than that. It lets the market set the price instead of us...which is what we should have done with a number of our players.

#17 Snake

Snake

Rivera did What???

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

This is why not many teams trade away Fran players. Way too much cost to the other team.

#18 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

meh....there's more to it than that. It lets the market set the price instead of us...which is what we should have done with a number of our players.

Letting the player hit free agency unrestricted would accomplish the same thing. The new CBA pretty much made the transition tag a useless thing.

#19 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

SUPPORTER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm pretty sure a franchised player can be traded for whatever the teams agree on. If a non-exclusive franchised player negotiates with another team and the original team doesn't match the offer the compensation is the next two first round picks from the signing team. But that's if the player negotiates with another team, cutting the original team out of the loop. If we franchise Hardy and he signs the tender, we could then turn around and trade him for whatever we wanted to, no subsequent "offsetting trades" or anything like that necessary. *I think*

#20 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

HUDDLER

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

I'm pretty sure a franchised player can be traded for whatever the teams agree on. If a non-exclusive franchised player negotiates with another team and the original team doesn't match the offer the compensation is the next two first round picks from the signing team. But that's if the player negotiates with another team, cutting the original team out of the loop. If we franchise Hardy and he signs the tender, we could then turn around and trade him for whatever we wanted to, no subsequent "offsetting trades" or anything like that necessary. *I think*

That would mean Hardy signed the one year contract he was offered for $12.8 million. At that point, he could be traded the same as any other player for what the hell ever. Before signing that contract, the compensation is two first rounders, no discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users