52 replies to this topic

#1 Man Strength

Man Strength

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:32 AM

is HUGE! Like $16 mil if Im reading things correctly.  Obviously that is way way too big.  What are our options for making it smaller and how much could we reasonably reduce it by?  He seems like a prime restructuring candidate along with Kalil and Olsen again.  

This and cutting Godrey are really our only hopes for reducing our cap figure significantly. 

#2 CarolinaNCSU

CarolinaNCSU

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationRaleigh

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

He's already restructured. Unless he gives us back money for free, it's staying the same. Even if you restructure again, you're screwing your future again by pushing more money to the next year. 

#3 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,409 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

N7OJVxB.jpg

#4 Man Strength

Man Strength

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

He's already restructured. Unless he gives us back money for free, it's staying the same. Even if you restructure again, you're screwing your future again by pushing more money to the next year. 

yes everyone restructured last year.  i see no reason why they cant do this again, since he (and olsen/kalil) are still valuable productive players.  this isnt a deangelo situation, where even if it was a reasonable yearly amount at the time of the deal (which it wasnt), it was obvously going to be a bad deal down the road.  CJ, Kalil, Olsen shoudl be very good for a number of years. the restructuring really hurts when you need to cut someone. 

#5 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

Yep, he's expensive. I'm very curious to see how DG navigates this cap mess. I imagine some if it will be by asking a few guys to literally take one for the team. Honestly, I hope signing a bunch of high character pays dividends very soon with regard to the cap and the overall good of the team.

#6 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Yeah we didn't get our moneys worth out of him. He's been great for us... but we paid him as if he was the top defensive end in the past 10 years.... which he certainly has NOT been.

Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE me some CJ.

#7 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 9,342 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

I think it continues to go up too, 18 in 2015, 20 in 2016

Of the top of my head IIRC

#8 FourthWard

FourthWard

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationEl Wardo Quatro

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

377550023_d1e51ac5f7_thumb.jpg

#9 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• ALL-PRO
  • 12,696 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:06 AM

I think it continues to go up too, 18 in 2015, 20 in 2016

Of the top of my head IIRC

After 2015 we can cut him and it would be a smaller cap hit.

#10 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,669 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:07 AM

Hurney fuged us with no vaseline

And so did JR letting him rape us

#11 Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

OWN the Line of Scrimmage

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,752 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Yeah we didn't get our moneys worth out of him. He's been great for us... but we paid him as if he was the top defensive end in the past 10 years.... which he certainly has NOT been.

Don't get me wrong, because I LOVE me some CJ.

Disagree, I think he earned his contract and has played up to it. Part of the problem was that he was the only good DE in that FA class and we had to keep him here with here, particularly with Atlanta looking to sign him if we didn't. We got a monster DE and ATL was left with Ray Edwards.

#12 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

CJ was and is definitely worth his contract and cap hit. He's like top 5 in sacks, pressures, hits and FF over the last 3 seasons. 

Also if you count the carryover from this season, Carolina should have around 20-30 million in cap space before extending Cam. 

#13 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:15 AM

Man, I'm so glad we're all cap experts!

CJ is captain consistency. He's a reliable pass rusher and very good against the run. Had he not gotten hurt on that leg whip, which really messed him up, he'd be up there with Hardy's 14 sacks.

Don't blame him for being the only good DE when his contract came due. He restructured for the better of the team. He does nothing but work his butt of for the team. I think he's worth it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#14 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

CJ was and is definitely worth his contract and cap hit. He's like top 5 in sacks, pressures, hits and FF over the last 3 seasons. 

Also if you count the carryover from this season, Carolina should have around 20-30 million in cap space before extending Cam. 

I've heard a lot of estimates. a guess between 15-25 is more fitting. 

#15 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

The ideal move "IMO" would be to actually at a couple of years to CJ's deal. Convert some salary to bonus and prorate all that across the board.

His current deal runs till he is 31, add two years and he can retire a Panther at 33.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com