#31 ncfan

ncfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationKey West, FL

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

We have some young guys.

Also note.  NYG didn't have a Bad OL at all while he was there.  They also Rarely drafted a OL high at NY while he was there.

Giants drafted 1 OL in rounds 1-3 from 05-12 (2nd round pick 60 in 09) and didn't draft a 1st round OL since 1999 until this year.  Only drafted 2 guy in round 2 in that time period 2000-2012

http://www.cbssports.../edmund-kugbila

It's been easy to forget this guy, as everyone said he was drafted too high and then he got hurt before doing much.  But DG showed a pretty good eye for linemen on the defensive side of the ball, and this guy's biggest problems seem to be fixable.

Think the answer is already on the roster?

#32 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

Kug is a risky project. What a rag tag bunch we have in the OL.

#33 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,044 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Sign Gross and Wharton again, they had great years.  Right side is what needs immediate work and hopefully these guys coming back will help.

#34 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Sign Gross and Wharton again, they had great years.  Right side is what needs immediate work and hopefully these guys coming back will help.

I think Wharton was talking about retiring. Not sure if he was serious, but I'd love to see him return. That would give us Amini and Kug to fill our other guard spot and give us good depth. Maybe bring Chandler or Scott back to fill out the bottom end of the O-line.

If Wharton and Gross come back, all we really need from the draft is a tackle. Hopefully someone that could man the right side until Gross retires in a year or two.

The more I think about it, keeping Wharton and Gross around at least another year would be absolutely huge just for the flexibility it would give us in the upcoming draft.

#35 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

From watching Kugs tape i was impressed although it was division 2. Draft a RT to put beside him we might have something. We really have nowhere to go but up anyway. I would also like having Wharton back to mentor Kug and Amini

#36 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:27 PM

I remember his draft videos. Dude was a monster. He just wasn't prepared for the NFL. I'm glad he got a redshirt season to get in shape, learn the play book, soak up knowledge from the pros. He could very well turn into something interesting.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#37 BeasonBeastingBacks

BeasonBeastingBacks

Farewell Sweet Prince

• HUDDLER
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:38 PM

He's gonna need a lot of work, even if hes been doing well during rehab he probably still won't be ready to be inserted into the starting lineup for another season or 2.

#38 prowler2k8

prowler2k8

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

From watching Kugs tape i was impressed although it was division 2. Draft a RT to put beside him we might have something. We really have nowhere to go but up anyway. I would also like having Wharton back to mentor Kug and Amini

I agree. Bringing back Gross and Wharton for another year (if either don't retire) would give us good OL depth until they are ready. I was also impressed with the limited tape on KGB, but something tells me he would be better suited at LG.  I would let KGB and Silatolu compete for the future LG spot b/c I'm not convinced the latter is the answer there yet. The ideal scenario IMO would be to bring back Gross/Wharton next year, draft a stud RT, and let Travis Bond, KGB or another one of OG on our roster compete for the RG spot. Draft Billy Turner or James Hurst in the 4th round as the eventual replacement @ LT, and we could be setting ourselves up to have a solid OL for the future.

#39 PantherFeez

PantherFeez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

#40 PantherFeez

PantherFeez

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

These 2 vids were his last 2 in college. Cut up the footage last year with some help from draftbreakdown.com

He was recruited to Alabama but didn't have the grades to get a scholarship there. Offseason he had knee surgery (not just a hammy injury) had it around the end of preseason I believe or early around wk 3. He's an enigma, but they said at the combine he impressed all of the coaches with how well he took instruction. He also was a workout standout being the top in the 3 cone and top in the high jump. He got his weight down furing the combine after being 370lbs but showed up to our TC over weight.

#41 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

If wharton comes back then I think our guard situation is in good hands, but we need a tackle badly even if gross comes back

#42 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,751 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Looking forward to seeing how he has developed.
He's had lots of time to be coached up, and he'll have more time with the team in the off season.

#43 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,751 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

If wharton comes back then I think our guard situation is in good hands, but we need a tackle badly even if gross comes back

I agree.

#44 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,751 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

I wonder what they intend to do with Chandler this off season. Before he was pushed into a starting roll, they we're grooming to be a left tackle - which he graded perfect during preseason.

Are they going to move him back out to tackle for continued grooming there, or will they keep him inside.

#45 Fan01

Fan01

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I wouldn't credit drafting Star Freaking Lotulelei to Gettleman's "good eye." Not like he went out on a limb and took a chance on drafting a top 3 pick at 14.

No one's arguing Star was a no brainer.  But Gettlemen has a long history in talent evaluation and he's good at it so I'll defer to his judgement on Kug.  

Heck, his first draft and it's looking pretty likely we're going to get 3 starters out of it.  At least.  Kug would be 4.  That's a large piece of getting to the Superbowl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com