#32 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,201 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

What about cap rollover from this season? Couldn't that give us closer to $25 mil in cap space?

I dont know. You'd have to ask someone else about that.

#33 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 6,728 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Decker is a legitimate WR2 that sometimes puts up WR1 numbers and scores TDs. We'd be extremely lucky to land him.  And being the way that things are looking with the Hardy situation, I'd give the numbers a look. But, like I said, the way G-man is talking I wouldn't get my hopes up.

#34 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,404 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

If hardy is smart. He will walk.

He'd be the best defensive end on the market, and will get paid.

#35 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,201 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:22 PM

I rather have Decker who is more durable than nicks and talent wise  Decker > Nicks.......but the best option is to draft a WR ....usually FA WR do not live up the expectation especially the ones who are injury prone

Who wouldnt want Decker over Nicks?

Only thing is Gman is going to play hard ball. Decker will get a long term deal while Nicks and Maclin will likely get "one yr" deal offers. You bring in a guy like Nicks for one year and take a rookie receiver as the long term process. Nicks will have to again have to prove that he is deserving of a long term contract either with us or another team.

#36 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • 17,201 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

HOLY poo ITS SPELLED KALIL NOT KHALIL

He's been here for 6 goddamned years

Im really sorry. Should I lied about it and blame it on the iphone (typo)?

#37 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 36,859 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

You really want to find out?

Curiosity is a weakness of mine :unsure:

#38 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,047 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

I guess one of the 8 other Gardy threads JUST wasn't quite enough.

#39 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

If I'm correct, right now we have around 15 mil in cap space.

By making Dwill and Godfrey "June 1" cuts, that would free another additional 5-6 mil bumping us to 21mil. Some guys will be retained, but hopefully others will too restructure their contracts: Stewart, CJ, Olsen, Smitty, Kalil, and TD.

We should be able to make at least 1 or 2 bold moves, but Im not a fan of Eric Decker. I just dont see Decker having that kind of impact he is having in Denver here in Carolina. I'd rather go Nicks or probably a cheaper mover "Golden Tate".

Ok your list is kind of out dated some what. Olsen got a contract 2 years ago and it wasn't that much. I don't know why TD is even on your list since the guy redid his contract last year and took a big pay cut and if he was to get hurt again in the same knee his contract be comes void. Smith I could see redoing his contract, but why redo his contract with him most likely retiring next year or 2 once his current contract is up.I could see Kalil, CJ, and Stewart redoing their contracts and lowering the cap hit with some up front bonus money like DG did with a few guys last year. But as of right now. We are up against the wall on the cap this year and next year no matter how we see it.

#40 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

No Decker. He is a product of Peyton. I do like Hakeem Nicks and/or Mario Manningham. I also am a fan of D-Will and would like to retain him and pray he takes a pay cut...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Manningham can kiss off. The dude been hurt to much. He ain't worth the time. Nicks maybe work going after. But I'm their are other teams willing to pay a nice bit of money to get Nicks. Despite his drop off this year. Nicks want go cheap and I'm sure other teams will be offering him a nice contract worth 3-4 years worth around 30million. Something I'm sure DG will not pay at this time. So those 2 are off the list. Unless Nicks is willing to play for Vet mim. Which I doubt it.

#41 El Chingon

El Chingon

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

If Hardy walks we might just go with what we have. A platoon of Addison, Alexander and Horton. Or maybe we replace him with lesser and cheaper talents like Pepppers or Michael Johnson from the Bengals. 

#42 Evengelion

Evengelion

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

With our Cap Decker is wishful thinking salary wise.

#43 Phantom

Phantom

NEWB

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Right now, Hardy is the biggest splash DE on the free agent market. Someone is willing to overpay for him. He had great numbers by the end of the year, but racked them up mainly in a handful of games rather than in week-to-week performance. He developed the Kraken persona which is just cartoonish enough for someone like the Vikings to bite on when they look to replace Jared Allen.

He's performed pretty well for our second DE and we should keep him if we can get him for around $1m a year. More than that and he'll never live up to the numbers.

#44 ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

ItsPantone278

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Is this thread about about bringing in Decker?? I'd rather give Hixon some burn than bring fuging Decker in as some prized FA signing.. We'd look like a bunch of clowns if he went sub 1000 yards... and watching the offense this past season I have no reason to believe Decker is anywhere near the difference.. Would rather work these backs for tons of yards and build up the d..

The run game has to be there. I actually think we were close this year if we could have found some more consistency in the run game. I hope Amini and EDK can get healthy and get on the field. Maybe the Oline we have just healthy is the difference. Lets just say you can do a lot of things off play action.

#45 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 6,711 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Here are some interesting observations that may help one deal with the loss of Hardy:

1.  CJ, Star, KK/Dwan, Luke and Davis drew a lot of attention.

2.  We faced a lot of teams with LT issues this year, and Hardy often had multiple sacks vs. those teams.

3. Many of Hardy's sacks were "motor" sacks.  He found the QB after being forced to navigate around in the pocket.  There were a few where he was not the first player to reach the QB. 

4.  Do you consider Hardy an "elite" player, or did he have a tremendous season due to the pieces around him?  I think Hardy is a good player, a very good player--I loved the pick when he was drafted---but there is a lot of risk involved in paying him top dollar. 

However, his agent will base his asking price on a few other observations:  15 sacks, 3rd in the league.  Pro Bowler.  There is a premium on getting to the QB in the NFL.  Hardy is going to get paid.  We may be 20+ million under the cap, but seriously, we are not using over half of that on one player.  I am guessing that we could do the following on what Hardy alone would require:

Re-sign Gross.  I am guessing he will return for $2.5 m. or so.  I am not good at guessing contracts.

Re-sign Mitchell.  The speed, the leadership, the hitting, the swagger. Our defensive backfield needed it.  Don't forget he was learning FS.  He will only get better.  I am thinking about $2.5 million per year.

Re-sign Wharton.  He played well, and this could lead to a competition between Wharton, Kugbila, and SIlatolu for the 2 spots..  $1.5 million

Re-sign Ted Ginn.  As important as he was to us, his statistics make him affordable, He would be a great KR, 3/4th WR.  I am guessing $2 million.

Re-sign Captain Munnerlyn. Ideally, I would like to get better at CB, sending Capt. to the nickel role.  He was the best CB on the second-ranked D in the NFL.  He may want to shop himself again, but I think he accepts a $2.5 million per season deal.

Or we could re-sign Hardy to a $12 m per year deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.