#91 Cpt slay a ho

Cpt slay a ho

Lord Flacko

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

there defense has sucked all year...............i think some are giving john fox too much credit, his stubbornness here is what changed my opinion about him 

#92 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

That's a pretty cool stat.  I checked, and in the modern era there have been a lot of QBs to go with two different coaches--Montana, Elway, Aikman, Roethlisberger, Warner, and Morton.  Manning will be the first to get there with three coaches.

Any team with Peyton Manning on it doesn't even really need an offensive coordinator so that really tells you why he's been there with three different head coaches.  It has been noted that Manning routinely ignores the playcalls of his coaches and just calls whatever he wants.  

#93 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

When you put it like that, it's downright amazing that this is just his third trip.  :)

#94 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

ayy lmao

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,139 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:27 AM

there defense has sucked all year...............i think some are giving john fox too much credit, his stubbornness here is what changed my opinion about him 

maybe he's changed in denver (or maybe he's been stripped of the authority he had here) but fox's single minded dedication to his philosophy was his biggest problem when he was with the panthers.

we all got annoyed with the press conferences full of non-answers, the "we chose a bad day to have a bad day"s, the "it is what it is" quotes, etc.  can you imagine fox-during his panthers tenure, at least-taking a hard look at himself, admitting that what he was doing wasn't working, and making a wholesale change like rivera?  i can't.

and before somebody brings up The Golden Calf of Bristol for the 80th time, that was mike mccoy's work which is why he was such an in-demand head coaching candidate.  fox was never entirely comfortable with the move and made several snide remarks in the media when the fan pressure was mounting.

#95 bLACKpANTHER

bLACKpANTHER

º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º

• HUDDLER
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Say what you want about John Fox.  I liked him as our coach, I like him as a person, I was very concerned when he went in for the valve replacement, and I want him to go all the way.  

Like others, I have stayed away from watching the sport channels this week (correction, I have been watching the Australian Open), but I will be watching today's games.  Like all of us, I had hoped that the NFC Championship game would feature the Panthers, but we may have to wait another year.

Finally.... STOP WHINING about the refs ....    We lost... period.

I was kinda salty at Fox for awhile about how he left the team and Jimmy Clausen.. then he was gifted Peyton in his lap and I was upset..

This year after the heart procedure and hearing he almost had a heart attack, whatever- I was like my petty dislikes for how he left etc. was small. and i warmed back up to him. Hope he gets the job done!

#96 Spaceballs83

Spaceballs83

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

If John Fox wins a superbowl, it's not because he is a good coach. Manning basically won it for him. Manning would make any coach look good.

#97 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

STyJuUp.jpg

#98 klumme

klumme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Fox is a fine HC if landing in the right situation at the right time. He is a players coach and can get 100% of his players abilities . But he can't really develop talent and he is not very good at seeing and finding talent.

With Manning as his QB, he is in a perfect situation were everything needed by him is to be a players coach. 

His comments after the game against the Pats about how great his players is and how he have never been more proud of a group of men than this group ever... Well that sounds like a bitter man.

Oh and Rivera is at .521 at a Panthers HC while Fox ended at .507 In fact after three years they land at the exact same .521 and looking at the way they are as a HC they are pretty much the same guy. Now Rivera is looking like a guy who is learning by his mistakes and develop as a HC. Fox never did.

#99 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:07 AM

anyone bringing up fox's year with The Golden Calf of Bristol as proof he was a good coach needs a refresher of that year.

The Golden Calf of Bristol started 11 games.

he had a 7-4 record as a starter that year. he (and his team) beat no team that had a better than 8-8 record in regular season with The Golden Calf of Bristol starting. The Golden Calf of Bristol was responsible for a combined 18 TDs (passing and rushing).

people bring up the fact that they got into the playoffs...but they did it with an 8-8 record.

and they didn't have that 8-8 record because their schedule was so hard. they did it in spite of having an incredibly weak schedule in which there were only 4 teams they faced all year with winning records (cincy, packers, lions, and pats).

that trip to the playoffs was a fluke.

they are on top right now for one reason and one reason only...peyton manning.

#100 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

It's amazing how much people love to hate on Fox and Hurney. 

#101 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

It's amazing how much people love to hate on Fox and Hurney. 

i never think about them until someone brings them up (usually in here).

when they are brought up, tho, i'm not going to pretend i didn't want them gone for the last few years they were here.

#102 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 14,411 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

anyone bringing up fox's year with The Golden Calf of Bristol as proof he was a good coach needs a refresher of that year.

The Golden Calf of Bristol started 11 games.

he had a 7-4 record as a starter that year. he (and his team) beat no team that had a better than 8-8 record in regular season with The Golden Calf of Bristol starting. The Golden Calf of Bristol was responsible for a combined 18 TDs (passing and rushing).

people bring up the fact that they got into the playoffs...but they did it with an 8-8 record.

and they didn't have that 8-8 record because their schedule was so hard. they did it in spite of having an incredibly weak schedule in which there were only 4 teams they faced all year with winning records (cincy, packers, lions, and pats).

that trip to the playoffs was a fluke.

they are on top right now for one reason and one reason only...peyton manning.

And they were barely beating the shitty teams they were playing that season. Like, they were shooting out with the Minnesota Vikings led by rookie Christian Ponder

#103 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

i never think about them until someone brings them up (usually in here).

when they are brought up, tho, i'm not going to pretend i didn't want them gone for the last few years they were here.

I don't judge either by their last couple of years.  They were both almost hamstrung by circumstance.  Fox had to coach out a contract with players he didn't necessarily want, and Hurney was completely caught off guard by Peppers' intransigence and Richardson's directions.  Neither were the best in the NFL at what they did, but together they took a Panthers team that had enjoyed only one winning season in it's history and brought them to the Super Bowl and a ton of relevance.

Yes, it unraveled after 2008-2009.  But they made us respectable, and for that we should be grateful.  Anyone who thinks Fox can't coach is ignoring all the evidence to the contrary--he got hired almost immediately by an organization who knows a little bit about football.  Just because he doesn't explain the reasons behind everything he's doing in press conferences doesn't mean he doesn't have good ones.

I hope he wins it all this year.  He's a good guy, a good coach, and he did good things for our franchise.

#104 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:54 AM

fox and hurney dug their hole.

they wanted jake. fox wanted older players he didn't have to develop. hurney had cap management and neither guy was all that great at spotting outside talent.

we peaked early and did very little to evolve, esp. philisophically.

he did well early on and i respect that. it was from 2007 on that we didn't change/improve enough.

#105 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

fox and hurney dug their hole.

they wanted jake. fox wanted older players he didn't have to develop. hurney had cap management and neither guy was all that great at spotting outside talent.

we peaked early and did very little to evolve, esp. philisophically.

he did well early on and i respect that. it was from 2007 on that we didn't change/improve enough.

I don't buy that about Fox.  He's still coaching the same way, but now he has a star QB.  That makes a difference for anyone, but it takes more than one player to win.  He's done a good job in Denver in assembling a coaching staff and keeping his team motivated and ready to play.

Hurney did dig a hole, but he also did a lot of good things early.  I have heard different things on how things went down where Peppers was concerned, and about some of the contract extensions, so I don't really know what to think there.  Yeah, he screwed up the cap late, but that doesn't really bother me because we always had a screwed up cap.  I do think that what's emerged after this year is that DG's doing a better job at finding quality depth, but that's for another thread. 

Regardless, both of those guys did enough good while they were here that the hate for them doesn't seem reasonable.  I get it if you just started following the team in 2006, and I know there are a lot of people posting here who were kids then.  Still, if you appreciate our franchise history at all, you should appreciate their accomplishments enough to show them just a teeny bit of respect.  Right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com