386 replies to this topic

#61 cota37

cota37

Head Hunter

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

I am a UNC fan and I certainly would NOT overpay the guy.  

I hear ya, but you admit him being a UNC guy is part of why you want him right? I get that.

Hell, let's pick up Jericho Cotchery! 10 TDs this season. We're only renting right?

edit - make that 11 - rushed for one too!

#62 BIGH2001

BIGH2001

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:45 AM

How many times has New England signed a guy only to "resurrect" a "dead" career.

It's time we start doing the same. We did it with Ginn already this year. Give him a one year deal and let him prove he's hungry to contribute on a good team. If he's not cut your minimal losses and move on.

#63 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

He's a name. That might be it at this point based on his performance this season.

#64 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

I hear ya, but you admit him being a UNC guy is part of why you want him right? I get that.

Hell, let's pick up Jericho Cotchery! 10 TDs this season. We're only renting right?

edit - make that 11 - rushed for one too!

Probably hard to believe, but it has very little to nothing to do with why I want him.  I don't believe we're renting him.  I think the guy has plenty left in the tank.  I could see him here for 3-4 years for sure.  I don't think he's a long term solution at #1 WR, but his presence immediately helps Smitty, and gives us a chance to draft a future #1 and let him develop.  

I certainly like to see former UNC players do well once they get to the next level.  But I never let my love for UNC interfere with my love for the Panthers and what I think is the best decision for them.  I just really like Nicks as an NFL player. 

#65 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,290 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Let's be realistic....he's not signing here (or anywhere) for a one year deal.  

Then Nicks has unrealistic expectations -- he's injury-prone, character questions have recently popped up, and he had zero touchdowns in 2013. If Hakeem thinks he's getting Wallace (who the Dolphins severely overpaid) or even Jennings money, well... won't be playing in 2014.

#66 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

Then Nicks has unrealistic expectations -- he's injury-prone, character questions have recently popped up, and he had zero touchdowns in 2013. If Hakeem thinks he's getting Wallace or even Jennings money (who the Dolphins severely overpaid), well... won't be playing in 2014.

We were talking about a 1 year deal and you took it to the Wallace/Jennings level.  There is a place in the middle you know.  I didn't say he's getting a huge contract.  I just said he's going to get an offer for more than a year somewhere.  

#67 Kuech the Sneak

Kuech the Sneak

• HUDDLER
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

On a cheap 2 year deal, what's there to lose?

#68 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,290 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:58 AM

We were talking about a 1 year deal and you took it to the Wallace/Jennings level.  There is a place in the middle you know.  I didn't say he's getting a huge contract.  I just said he's going to get an offer for more than a year somewhere.  

1-2 year deals are hot in the league nowadays. You honestly believe a contender wants to offer him a 3-4 year; 26 million dollar deal? Nicks has expressed publicly that he wants to win and get paid like Cruz. He can't have both. Nicks will have to settle for one or the other.

#69 *FreeFua*

*FreeFua*

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,411 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg Manitoba Canada

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

The only way I'd be ok with Carolina signing him would be if it was a 1 year deal and if it didn't change the draft plans. If DG wants a receiver and one is sitting there I don't want DG to put it off another year because we have Nicks.

If he was fightin through all these injuries this year then it's obvious he just wants to get paid. When he had the security he would sit games out. I can't believe anyone would give this guy anymore than 1 year, but someone will and I hope it isn't us.

#70 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

Nicks, Kelvin Benjamin, Smitty, and Olsen? *faps* not to mention Brandon Williams hopefully turning into the next Julius Thomas

#71 rscott94

rscott94

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

I really wouldn't mind him here... He's got a bad rap for this year but I blame that mostly on Eli's HORRIBLE QB play

#72 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,696 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

1-2 year deals are hot in the league nowadays. You honestly believe a contender wants to offer him a 3-4 year; 26 million dollar deal? Nicks has expressed publicly that he wants to win and get paid like Cruz. He can't have both. Nicks will have to settle for one or the other.

I don't know if a contender is going to offer him a large contract - I don't know if anyone will.  But I do believe he's going to get a multi-year offer from some team.  That's all I said.  A WR who is arguably the top FA on the market is going to get offers.  

#73 Cape Fear Cat

Cape Fear Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion that we would not see the same sort of problems from Nicks if he was in Carolina. For one, I don't think Smitty and the rest of the locker room would tolerate it. Neither would the coaching staff. If he can't get with the program here, he'll quickly find himself frozen out among his team mates, and notch up another strike against anyone else taking him on. I suspect what happened in NY was more about his dissatisfaction with his situation and injuries. If DG and RR can have a heart to heart with him that satisfies them that Nicks is all in, then I say give the kid a helmet and lets see what he's got.

#74 TheJason

TheJason

Black & Blue in The Bay

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationLivermore

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

I'm not trying to compare the two, but when Smitty had a terrible 2010, many were ready to write him off as over the hill.

I like the idea of Hicks, as it then helps the pressing need for receivers.

Look what Ginn did last year on the Niners, compared to this year.

#75 AceBoogie

AceBoogie

LiveStrong

• HUDDLER
  • 4,802 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

We all know he wants to play here. This is where he wants to be, BUT he wants to get paid more. He's going to follow the money. I can only see him signing here for a one year deal and trying to prove he deserves more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com