Photo
- - - - -

David Newton ranking our 21 FAs by importance (updated 21 thru 5)

2014 Free Agency David Newton ranking Carolina Panthers

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#76 jdpanther5

jdpanther5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationBurlington

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

He was a turnstile in Oakland, did I miss something?

I'm thinking sarcasm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

#77 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:56 AM

Today's update includes Wharton and Cole who would be nice to have around as security, but it may be time to take the training wheels off for the young guys. re-signings may come down to evaluation and whether or not they'll re-up at bargain basement prices.

#78 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,907 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Derek Anderson still hasn't been listed meaning he is ranked higher than Wharton and Cole? That is just laughable. Wharton had a fantastic year and is considered one of the highest ranked guards in this free agent class. Cole played a big part in our DT rotation. Those guys were on the field all the time. How many snaps has Anderson taken under Rivera to determine if he is a valuable free agent to this franchise?

#79 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Derek Anderson still hasn't been listed meaning he is ranked higher than Wharton and Cole? That is just laughable. Wharton had a fantastic year and is considered one of the highest ranked guards in this free agent class. Cole played a big part in our DT rotation. Those guys were on the field all the time. How many snaps has Anderson taken under Rivera to determine if he is a valuable free agent to this franchise?

I wouldn't exactly call it "laughable".  It may be laughable until Cam Newton gets hurt.  D.A. is kind of like insurance: Yeah you hate to pay it, but the responsibly-minded put a premium on its importance.  

Like it or not, we do have more depth at the other positions. If all parties involved are healthy, then we should be able to keep rolling right along. If Cam were to go down, Anderson presumably the best option to keep us rolling right along through a very difficult time.

#80 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,962 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:58 AM

Bruce Campbell has been known to possess the ability but not quite being there upstairs.  

#81 jptaylor84

jptaylor84

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

I wouldn't want to keep most of the 21 free agents being honest, they are roster depth at best and can easily be replaced by other teams roster depth free agents who are slightly better than what were not resigning! I mean Brandon lafell is the only guy you could argue about but I'd rather we not waste 2mill to ring back a player who ok is steady but nothing more so and give mcnutt or king a starting role next season! The answer is already on the roster at receiver in my opinion, addition that with one or two new wideouts in the draft and were good to go and got rid of one of the weak links in the offense in lafell! So he puts up ok numbers, he cannot step up when asked to he's a number four receiver at best anywhere else and he isn't worth the money, how long we gona give this guy to develop he's hit a wall and the best we seem of him is done.

#82 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

I'm thinking sarcasm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

LOL, yes - realized this AFTER I responded... think I may have had one too many concussions myself. 

#83 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Didn't they play him as a guard in Oakland?

Yes, I think they did... I guess you could rank Campbell as high as Newton did based solely on our need at the position but unless they've secretly developed Campbell while he's been on IR I would be terrified at the though of him as a starting OL. I'd give Chandler a shot at LT before I tried Campbell there. 

It's a shame because Campbell is a heck of an athlete for a man his size... at times I've wondered if he shouldn't drop 20/30 lbs and become a TE. 

#84 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,705 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Yes, I think they did... I guess you could rank Campbell as high as Newton did based solely on our need at the position but unless they've secretly developed Campbell while he's been on IR I would be terrified at the though of him as a starting OL. I'd give Chandler a shot at LT before I tried Campbell there.

Ya, I think Campbell's problem is between the ears. He's obviously physically gifted.

#85 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Ya, I think Campbell's problem is between the ears. He's obviously physically gifted.

Yes, with an athlete of his caliber it must be a mental thing. I've seen the guy up close and in person and he's an absolute monster. We can still hope the light comes on for him some day, but if it hasn't happened by now...:(

#86 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Only one player today. Perhaps Newton is going to draw things out. Coming in as the last player outside of his top 10 is Jordan Senn. To me, Senn is like the Nick Goings of linebackers, and provided we can re-sign him somewhere around his current level he will continue to be a great value.

#87 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,344 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

I'd rank Wharton higher... Silatolu has shown promise but we don't really know what we've got and Kugbila was a rookie who has yet to play in an NFL game.  

#88 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,705 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I'd rank Wharton higher... Silatolu has shown promise but we don't really know what we've got and Kugbila was a rookie who has yet to play in an NFL game.

Kugbila hasn't even practiced in real pads.

#89 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, it appears that Newton is gonna drag this out.

At number 10, Newton says it "just makes sense" to re-sign Anderson. Surprisingly (to me anyway), he mentions that it's also a good idea to draft a QB for the back-up role. To me, if DA is going to be here, then I would think that signing another guy would be a waste of a draft opportunity, unless the draftee is really thought to have extraordinary potential (which I don't see happening outside the third round). I say if Anderson re-signs, roll with him and perhaps bring some young UFA into camp to see if we can get lucky, and use that draft spot on a more pressing need.

#90 tondi

tondi

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

I can't see us wasting a roster spot on a 3rd QB if we are keeping Anderson.  DG has already proven he doesn't believe in 3rd QB's anyway and with us potentially only being a few players away from SB contention why would we waste a roster spot (or draft pick) on somebody just to stash them on the practice squad and hope nobody snatches him away.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2014 Free Agency, David Newton, ranking, Carolina Panthers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com