44 replies to this topic

#1 jackson113

jackson113

Poo talking mother fugging Jackson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

We had a lot of success in 11 with Shockey and Olsen, but then we got Tolbert and we moved away from it. Seems like Olsen falls straight to the ground after every catch. should we explore another TE in the draft or free agency?

#2 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Of course. The more options the better. The real question is whether the OC will actually incorporate two-TE-sets as a consistent part of the game.

#3 PantherWake

PantherWake

How Bout Dem Gamecocks

• HUDDLER
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think that was mostly cause of Chud. Maybe thats just me.

#4 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

• HUDDLER
  • 2,199 posts
  • LocationKinston, NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:38 PM

ive been preaching for this since 2011. people underestimated the value of Shockey but he made some great catches for Cam

#5 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,197 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

i would love to pick up another pass catching TE in addition to drafting another WR in the first couple rounds and picking up one of nicks/decker/baldwin/tate and drafting a RT early, upgrading RG, and helping out the secondary.

we can do all that this offseason, right?

sigh........

#6 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

While I wish we were playing in two weeks, I truly believe it is Peyton Manning's year and this makes me feel better. That being said, I think it may be a huge blessing in disguise long term since we will be picking ahead of Seattle and NE (in every round), both needing another TE. If Ebron, Amaro, or maybe even ASJ are there in the 1st, I'm starting to feel like we would grab before NE or Seattle could.

#7 Third Degree

Third Degree

Socks are for your feet, silly

• HUDDLER
  • 4,989 posts
  • Location704

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

While I wish we were playing in two weeks, I truly believe it is Peyton Manning's year and this makes me feel better. That being said, I think it may be a huge blessing in disguise long term since we will be picking ahead of Seattle and NE (in every round), both needing another TE. If Ebron, Amaro, or maybe even ASJ are there in the 1st, I'm starting to feel like we would grab before NE or Seattle could.

Whether it's right or wrong, no way we pick a TE in the 1st round with WR, OL and secondary needs like we have. 

#8 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,732 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

i would love to pick up another pass catching TE in addition to drafting another WR in the first couple rounds and picking up one of nicks/decker/baldwin/tate and drafting a RT early, upgrading RG, and helping out the secondary.

we can do all that this offseason, right?

sigh........

Don't underestimate G-magic.  I think that upgrading at WR will not be that difficult considering the deep draft, and I believe that we can make a move in FA with part of the money that we'll save from Godfrey.  Moreover, Fred Davis may be the answer to our prayers. Pick up Davis, and an upgrade over LaFell in FA, then other than a potential beast at WR in the draft (or two), the draft is wide open to pick up a couple of linemen, corners, and/or a DE (which I personally don't think we'll need even without Hardy because of Alexander, Addison, Roh and Horton).

Of course this is assuming that we re-sign Mitchell, Ginn, and Mikell.

#9 j2sgam

j2sgam

cant beat the original...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,079 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

I really like that kid O'Leary out of FSU, dont if he declared though, think hes still a junior...

#10 jackson113

jackson113

Poo talking mother fugging Jackson

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

When we used Olsen for the deep threat this year it was definitely a head scratcher.

#11 Riverboat Ron

Riverboat Ron

Sinking Ship

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:58 PM

Wouldn't mind grabbing CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd, guy even has an american eagle tattoo like Shockey. He's a 6'6" fantastic blocking TE with long arms, big and soft hands that improved greatly on catches in 2013. Some might say we have Hartsock as our blocking TE, but it seems age caught up to him with injuries, especially considering he'll be 34 and a free agent next season. 

hi-res-7621528_crop_650.jpg?1389839108

#12 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

I just haven't seen any indication that Shula has any interest in having two receiving TEs.  When Hartsock was out, it would've been the ideal opportunity to get Brandon Williams some looks in the passing game but it didn't happen.  I would've like to have seen the kid get a few chances.  I appreciate what Hartsock has done for us, but at the same time, it would be nice to have a blocking TE that presented at least some sort of threat in the passing game.  Hartsock is essentially an undersized OT and is used in much the same way.

#13 ctrcat

ctrcat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

Whether it's right or wrong, no way we pick a TE in the 1st round with WR, OL and secondary needs like we have. 

Not sure about that.  RR emphasized the TE in his initial press conference and soon thereafter traded a 3rd for Olsen.  Last year we may have taken Eifert if Star didn't fall into our laps.  I actually now hope we can grab one of the 3 I mentioned.  With NE, Seattle, and even the Falcons at the top of the 2nd needing TE's, as well as the entire world seeing the matchup nightmares they create on a weekly basis, they won't be around long, if at all.  OL and WR are deeper in the draft and can grab in the 2nd and 3rd. 

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,487 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

I think we will take a tight end if one is available that we like.  I would still prefer a receiver with our first round pick.   

#15 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

OL and WR are deeper in the draft and can grab in the 2nd and 3rd. 

A deep draft at a position doesn't necessarily mean that great talent will slip.  Usually when a draft is deep at a position, you'll see a pretty hard run at that position at some point in the draft. 

Just look back at '09 when we drafted (hate to mention it) Jeff Otah.  That was considered a very deep draft for the OT position.  All 7 of the guys who were considered potentially elite talents came off the board in the 1st round.  Not a single OT was drafted in the entire 2nd round.  They were GONE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com